Solar Panel Voltage Regulator?

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
My foldable RAVPower panel puts out 5.2 V which is just too much for my headset that tolerates up to 5.1 for charging.

Anybody who could recommend a regulator down to 5.1 max for the panel?

The panel has a USB A plug.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Put a diode of the correct current rating in series with the 5.2v supply. You lose 0.6v across a diode, so voltage will be......... 5.2v - 0.6v = 4.6v

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Put a diode of the correct current rating in series with the 5.2v supply. You lose 0.6v across a diode, so voltage will be......... 5.2v - 0.6v = 4.6v
Was wondering if anybody had used something like this maybe. USB A Plug output would be better but cannot find one. Would have to add a pig-tailed USB plug to it.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
What make and model head set are you using? what batterie are you using?

Most 5 volt devices work well over a wider range than specified. Otherwise the chips would break with small spikes.
Typically 5 volts devices will work at 5.5 volts ok and max spec is 7 volts.
At 7 volts the part will dissipate twice the power and have a much shorter life.
Unpublished voltage break down is well above 10 volts. This is to ensure a robust part.
You would not want to put 100 lbs on a rope that breaks at 101 lbs.

The difference between 5.2 and 5.1 is too small to be concerned.
If it is being used to charge a battery in the headset, the charger regulator will control the current and shut off the charge when the battery voltage reaches its cutoff voltage.
If it is a single cell battery it would be a buck regulator. If it has two or more cells it would be a boost regulator.

In simple English.
5.2 volts will be to your advantage, use with no worries.

Do not bother using a diode in series as you will loose too much voltage.
The buck-boost regulator is a great solution if the voltage difference was much larger, but in your case it would be over kill.
It might be that the charger in your head set is already a buck-boost regulator.
I worked for a switching power supply company once upon a time....

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
What make and model head set are you using? what batterie are you using?
It's a Jabra Move with built in battery.

It has the same behavior with plug-in chargers as it has with the camping solar panel.

Most of my plug-in chargers deliver between 4.9 and 5.1 V and the Jabra is perfectly happy with them.

But it doesn't accept the charge ( 0 amp) from the one charger that delivers 5.25 V.

And it does the same with the camping panel when the voltage goes over 5.1 V. it blocks the charge and charging current drops to 0 amp.

Bike
ST 1100
My foldable RAVPower panel puts out 5.2 V which is just too much for my headset that tolerates up to 5.1 for charging.

Anybody who could recommend a regulator down to 5.1 max for the panel?

The panel has a USB A plug.

Thanks.
Have you got a quality DVM like a Fluke and have actually measured the output???

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The external regulator is a good solution in your case since you are charging small batteries. Done.

To me the numbers still do not make any sense.
It would be best to look at the output of the solar array with an oscilloscope looking for spikes that you can not see with a DVM.
The spikes might be cured with just some extra capacitors ( 100 to 1000 uf ) or an RC filter.

But you have something that now works, the above is academic.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have you got a quality DVM like a Fluke and have actually measured the output???
Flukes are a professional tool, and are expensive. I would be surprised to find that anyone other than an engineer, electronics tech, or tool nut would own one. Even for electricians, if you are buying your own tools, it often makes sense to get an alternative brand that is cheaper...especially if other guys will be using it.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Only a minimalist so called "USB Power meter", that I normally use to check the health of the battery being charged, looking for the charge mAh to be in the range of the battery rated capacity. It can be switched to display voltage and current and clearly shows that as soon as the voltage goes over 5.1, which the panel output exceeds under direct sun light, the headset cuts off and the charging current drops to zero.

My rechargeable bicycle headlight behaves the same way, only that it cuts off at 5V vs. 5.1 for the headset....and that it is clearly documented in their manual, whereas it is at best only implied in the doc for the headset.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The external regulator is a good solution in your case since you are charging small batteries. Done.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Some complain online that some device they are trying to charge with this camping solar panel will start discharging when clouds come through. Voltaic says that their regulator will also prevent that to happen. An added bonus!

There is an upgraded version of the panel that is available now, with different USB IQ ports. I might give it a try; just curious to see how the output voltage behaves on the upgraded version.

Bike
ST 1100
Flukes are a professional tool, and are expensive. I would be surprised to find that anyone other than an engineer, electronics tech, or tool nut would own one. Even for electricians, if you are buying your own tools, it often makes sense to get an alternative brand that is cheaper...especially if other guys will be using it.
Well since I am a RR trained engineer I have to say having the best tools are important to me and yes I have two or three Fluke DVM's one is clamp-on. Here we are talking about a voltage difference of .1 and .2 of a volt at a very low voltage of 5V, so you want a DVM that is accurate YES you can buy expensive Fluke DVM's but there are models that are not expensive. If you have a need for a DVM for sure you want one that is accurate and for me that means a Fluke. The first part of solving any problem is to accurately understand what the problem is. Reading the new post from ML it seems that he has enough info to correctly understand what the problem is :cool:

Bike
ST 1100
Only a minimalist so called "USB Power meter", that I normally use to check the health of the battery being charged, looking for the charge mAh to be in the range of the battery rated capacity. It can be switched to display voltage and current and clearly shows that as soon as the voltage goes over 5.1, which the panel output exceeds under direct sun light, the headset cuts off and the charging current drops to zero.

My rechargeable bicycle headlight behaves the same way, only that it cuts off at 5V vs. 5.1 for the headset....and that it is clearly documented in their manual, whereas it is at best only implied in the doc for the headset.
Can you try two simple free fixes? One is cover up a part of the panel. Two is make sure that the panel is not in direct sunlight by adjusting its position relative to the sun.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Can you try two simple free fixes? One is cover up a part of the panel. Two is make sure that the panel is not in direct sunlight by adjusting its position relative to the sun.
Can do...but first need to go and discharge the headset!

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
The sun finally came back out, so went and tried the proposed free fixes.

Tried to cover the panel and it seemed to work at first...but I couldn't quite figure out how the three IQ outputs were wired to the 24 individual cells of the panels. So moving the cover around to bring on a charge can accidentally uncover more cells connected to the active output than expected, and let the voltage jump over 5.1 V and the headset block the charge.

And unfortunately, I also found out the IQ Ports have some capacitance, so you'd either have to wait for a while for the charge to dissipate and the voltage to drop back below 5.1V or plug in another load to discharge it. And same with the headset itself, once it has blocked the charge, you have to wait for a while before it accepts to charge again at a lower voltage.

So the regulator may not be free, but seems to somewhat simplify the process.

Was good fun though, thanks. Learned a few things in the process.

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
Gave Voltaic's Solar Panel Regulator a try. It keeps my camping solar panel output voltage down to 5 V and the headset is no longer cutting off from charging. All good!
It sounds interesting. What type of solar panel do you use? I've recently bought a 12v 300w solar panel for my RV and I'm happy with it. I'm also going to charge my boat batteries with it. But I'm clueless about any tips and tricks on its maintenance. So, thanks for sharing this info, I'll try to figure it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
It sounds interesting. What type of solar panel do you use? I've recently bought a 12v 300w solar panel for my RV and I'm happy with it, but I'm clueless about any tips and tricks on its maintenance. So, thanks for sharing this info, I'll try to figure it out.
Mine is an old 5V 24W foldable panel by RAVPower (not made anymore) small enough to carry in the Tank Bag, and can be used for charging phone etc, far from the big boy unit for your RV. Yours will require a 12V to USB charger adapter. With my lightweight one, the device to be charged plugs directly into the panel and is exposed to whatever Voltage the panel delivers, which is at times slightly higher than the device will tolerate. You probably won't have this issue with a USB adapter.

One problem encountered by some using small panels is that if it is too cloudy, the device connected to the panel for charging can actually discharge! One feature of the regulator from Voltaic is that it is supposed to prevent that from happening.

Looking at the newer panels, the USB ports seem more sophisticated than on my antiquated one, and I suppose they might do a better job shaking hands with the device they are charging, without having to use an extra regulator. The Regulator was just the cheaper option.

Top Bottom