Solar Panel Voltage Regulator?

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I use 12v panel connected to battery. It has regulator that prevents overcharging and back-flow discharge. Can leave bike parked for months and battery won't die.
Then I charge up phones & other devices from USB charger connected to battery itself.

OP
OP
MidLife
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I use 12v panel connected to battery....
Some do same with the small 5V foldable camping style panels: First charge a USB battery pack directly from the panel then phone etc later from the pack.

My headset that cuts off over 5.1 V won't charge directly from the panel (unless I use the regulator) but does charge fine from a panel charged battery pack.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Scratching my god given Head that is filled with the most valuable and expensive electrical knowledge! I read all above and have concluded that even the worst foreign engineer did not design a device that is sensitive to 0.1 volt!!! or 0.2 volts... NO WHERE!

Keep in mind the voltages you have shown are very arguable from a perspective as to how they were read with a meter and accuracy of the meter.
If you were reading these voltage in "open circuit" not connected to the circuit while charging- Theres the answer.

In my power supply and charging knowledge and experience- I am betting that your devices when connected were sending the power supply to the rail! (thats what we call not enough). the solar panel was falling on its face and couldn't deliver. Thats exactly what i found with solar panels I bought. they didn't deliver the units of energy as specified. not even close.
The regulator you bought was able to switch on/off to keep the applied voltage up. thats why it works. I'm betting if i looked at it on a scope, its pulsing the output to give the power supply time to catch up.
The other power supply or "chargers" were to small also?

There is considerable junk on the market for chargers.. seen them, modified them, thru them away. As spiderman said- theres bad designs out there that replicate junk voltage signals. Buy quality stuff. even for your phone.

Top Bottom