Solid ABS light

Hi Everyone, i'm new to a 2005 ST1300A and need some help. Recently my ABS light when on solid, not while riding but when i was about to start it. Normally it would go off after a few seconds but now its constantly on. I can start it in neutral but i can't get it into gear, as soon as i put it into first the bike shuts off. I tried to start it in gear with the clutch engaged but it won't turn over when i do.

I want to pull the ABS fault codes but any threads I've seen say to pull fuses H & M, I don't have either. i have a main ABS, front ABS and rear ABS all of which are fine. Other thread say to push the ABS button, i don't have that either.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
rstuyt

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Welcome!
It's not clear so I'm just checking... Is your kickstand up when you shift into 1st and the bike shuts off?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The ABS light will come on solid when you start the bike and go off when you get going. It sounds like you have the kickstand down and this will kill the engine when placed into gear.

CELarson

Looking forward to my next ride....
Site Supporter
The ABS light is solid when you first turn on and start the bike. It will turn off when you get moving about 4 MPH and it gets input from the ABS sensors in the rims.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ABS will not effect the bike's running. It is just monitoring the brake system/with the sensors.

When I bought my 2010, it had been wrecked, (and many parts were missing. It ran fine, but the ABS light was ALWAYS on.

I had to take it to Honda, for a recall of the rear MC, and while they had it, they researched the light being on. What they came up with was the Electronic Module was bad and it would cost me $1,200 for a new one. They would then send it off to Honda to see if they would cover it. But like I said, the bike had been in a crash. So I continued to ride it like that, until I came across a 2009 ST1300P, with 409 miles, parts on eBay, including the module for around $200. I bought it, hooked it up and it's been fine ever since.

Good luck with your getting it fixed!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Sounds like two separate unrelated issues. If the kickstand was up and it's stalling when put into gear and won't start in gear with the clutch pulled in you may either a bad clutch or side stand switch. Another possibility is too much air in the clutch fluid and the clutch is not disengaging when the lever is pulled.

Regarding the ABS light, please confirm that it is staying on once you are underway, if so that indicates an ABS system problem. If it's staying on solid when you switch on the key, but you have not ridden the bike up to about 4-6 MPH, then that is probably normal.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome and conratulations on your ST1300.

I agree with @wjbertrand - ABS light on is normal - until you move off a short distance.

ABS button - that is something that exists on some models of the ST1100. The ST1300 doesn't have one. ABS is active all of the time.

When you do a search on the forum, (eg for ABS) it will find posts relating to both bikes. One clue to which thread you are looking at is the breadcrumb trail - put there to help you find your way back to it later. Like this - highlighted in a red rectangle.

1596222590157.png

Another way is to check the original poster's avatar on the left hand side. Most of us have added the type of bike that we own. eg my details under my photo are shown below - and you can see the rest in the left margin of this post.

1596222800041.png

Your post was very clear - you stated model and year in the original post - so no such problems !

Clutch, Neutral and Centre stand switches all interact to stop you driving off with the side stand down.
Briefly, the engine will always run if the bike is in neutral (green light shows on dash).
If in gear, the engine will cut out if the sidestand is put down - with or without the clutch lever pulled in.

With the sidestand up and the bike in gear, the engine will not fire up unless the clutch lever is pulled in.

See if you can move the bike when it is in gear and with the clutch lever pulled in, that is normal. If it is hard work, or not possible, then the clutch is not disconnecting the engine from the rear wheel. You may want to confirm this behaviour with the bike on the centre stand, bike in gear and try rotating the back wheel with the clutch lever pulled in. - Use your foot, or get some help to rotate the back wheel.

Note that it is perfectly normal for the rear wheel to start to turn if the bike is on the centre stand, in neutral with the engine running. It starts slowly and gradully picks up speed. It is just the drag on the various moving parts moving close to each other in their oil bath. Press the brake pedal and it stops easily.

There is a fair chance that your clutch needs bleeding. The bleed valve is behind the fairing - just in front of the left hand side swinging arm bolt, Peeping out from behind the silvered frame spar. You might be able to get to it just by remving the lower panel on the left hand side, and the two lower faring bolts behind the tip over bar cover - and gently easing out the lower fairing. But it may be a bit fiddly. Don't take that as gospel anyway - someone will put me right if necessary - If I ever need to bleed the clutch, I will have a load of other stuff to do, and I prefer to take the faring off completely.

The clutch is easy to bleed with a non-return bleed valve and length of tubing and a container of fresh DOT 4 brake fluid.

Please keep us informed what you find out and how you get on.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
ABS button - that is something that exists on some models of the ST1100. The ST1300 doesn't have one. ABS is active all of the time.
It's the same on the ST1100 the ABS button is used to stop the flashing and dim the light in the case of a warning, the idea being to avoid annoying/distracting the rider whilst underway. It's also used to extract error codes from the ABS computer for diagnostic purposes. The ABS cannot be turned off. In contrast the TCS button can indeed be used to turn off the TCS, but only when the bike is stopped.

Top Bottom