Sonic Springs install

Bike
2005 ST1300
Ok i have read the threads and beleive i understand what and how to do this. I already have the forks off and 3 bottles of 10w fluid. Springs in hand. drain flush and fill each tube so there it is 125mm from the top to the fluid. Cut the spacers to 130mm then install. This is a good starting point i understand. I am 275 with gear. i have a penske rear shock already. gonna do this sat morn. if you have some hints, by all means post them. Thanks for helping.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
If you have access to a parts washer it is a real pluss. It takes a bit of work to get all the old gunk out. A simple drain and rinse will not do it.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
This is aimed at Bigmak96. Would it be better in the long run just to take out the bottom bolt and disassemble it? I have it apart in the garage so space and time is not a factor. However i would rather take the time now to do a GOOD job. Thanks for the input.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
That is what I did. I could then clean all the parts individually as well as get ALL the years of gunk out.
I assume you have a manual to consult. If not make sure you sketch the parts in assembly.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
A can of brake cleaner does a great job of cleaning the crude out of the bottom of the fork tube.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
You will need a deep allen to get the bolt out. You can go to Lowe's and get an individual allen wrench, cut it and then drive it with a socket.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
BigMak96 has the best idea. Be sure to replace the coper washers on the bottom bolt.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
It gets dark and real smelly.
The weight will depend on you. If you fell like the forks could be reacting faster and feel softer, go with a lighter weight.
I have in the past gone with a mix of 10 and 7 weight for a theoretical 8.5 weight.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
2005 ST1300 SONIC UPDATE.... ok i have installed the springs and ridden the bike so here are my findings. The install was pretty straight forward no problems. I used the 1.2 springs from Sonic and Honda 10wt fork oil. I almost followed the guidelines of other people on the board Oil level 125mm and spacer length 130mm with the difference being i put just a tad more oil and cut my spacers to 135 mm. The reason is i am 260 without gear. i figure with gear and what is usually in the saddlebags the bike should have around 290ish on it. I also installed a PR3 on the front as well. The Ride... The first thing that surprised me was the fact that it did not plop off the centerstand. It almost rolled off. I even put it back up and did it again to feel it . Nice. the next thing was it sits taller with very little sag when i get on it. I am 5'9" and use the hightest seat setting. But before it was much lower(and easier to back up).I needed to scrub the tire in so i took it easy for the most part. I have read that people say the front end dive disappears. I did not find that to be true. It is greatly improoved. low speed handling (as all around) was nicely improoved. It feels better planted and even when i upset my line in a corner and had to reset it fell back in place without any problems. I was able to keep my speed(50ish) and continue instead of blowing the corner. Higher speed was very planted. I easily went thru corners faster because it felt secure and not so spongy. Flicking it around at 30 ish thru turns was the same. Stable, planted and firm. i already installed a Penske rear shock earlier this year so this was the last piece of the suspension puzzle for me. Overall i am very happy with the handling. I do track days as well on a CBR600. So the suspension was a huge bonus for me to have on my street bike. I hope this helps someone. Fantastic board and Great peolple!!! it goes without saying but i am gonna say it anyway....GO RIDE!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom