Sonic Springs

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I know there are a bunch of old Sonic spring threads out there but I thought I'd start a fresh thread for those of us new to this game.

Installed the 1.2kg/mm Sonic springs today, Christmas eve. No time to ride today, will take her out in the morning for a spin... Merry Christmas to me.

Read all the threads and ended up with 18mm (3/4") preload, 7W oil (a mix of 10W and 5W) at 125mm.

Will check the sag when I can, but will do a seat-O-the-pants ride assessment in the morning.

I got to get on my soap box a bit here about how difficult it was to get the front fender off/on the bike. I have the ABS version and had a heck of a time getting all the cra* to line up. I also need to whine a bit about the fact that I could barely get the front wheel back under the front fender without having to jack the bike up so high that the center stand was no longer touching the ground. COME ON Honda, can't even get the front wheel on/off! For crying out loud!

TINK
photosbytink.com

OP
OP
tink
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well, that's just short of amazing. :bannana:bannana:bannana
Took the ST1300 out for a spin on my freeway test track.
The Harbor freeway (110) from the 405 south to San Pedro is a famously choppy piece of road.
With the Sonic set up it now feels like a medium massage as opposed to a jackhammer going through granite with the OEM set up.
The exit off the 110 going east towards Long Beach is a 75mph sweeper with a significant dip at the end, this curve has long been my benchmark turn for determining suspension stability. The ST1300 ran this like she was on rails and did not wallow in the least bit going through the dip at the end.
I'll still check the sag when I get a chance, but my seat-O-the-pants tells me it's dialed in to my liking.
Got to say the ST-Owners.com forum got it right with the Sonic spring set up. Thanks!
TINK
photosbytink.com

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Remember it being a huge diff after installing sonics also. Really goes to show how "undersprung" the front is...

Now, when you check that sag, be very certain. Cause if it's off and you want to fix it... take it all apart and do it again as Honda has no adjustments for the front at all! arrrghhhhhh they need to change that me thinks!

Enjoy, I'd bet it's just fine as is.

OP
OP
tink
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Take it to the next level and install a Race Tech Gold Valve kit.
Had the Race Tech Gold Valve in the ST1100. Will consider same for ST1300. For now going to stick with OEM dampening and 7W. Need to save my suspension dollars for a rear shock first.

TINK

Top Bottom