Sore Spot

AJMeister

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Goldwing DCT
In August I finished a leisurely trip around Lake Superior (4,000 km) and I think one of the most annoying items on this trip was the intense burning sensation between my shoulder blades. I tried stretching, different windshield heights etc. but nothing seemed to really alleviate this except maybe lowering the windshield all the way which made a slight difference.

I bought this bike one year ago and it came with a Sargent seat and handlebar risers. I have no idea about the specs of this riser. I am 6'4' with most of my height in my legs and gained weight these last few years so now I am about 240 pounds. My previous bike was a 2004 GL1800 and this was never an issue on the Goldwing.

I am hoping some of you may have experienced this condition as well and am wondering if anybody found a solution. I am planning to get the highway blades eventually which would also take care of my left ankle getting very hot to the point where if am resting my boot on the very outer edge of the peg.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I don't know if I can give any advice, but I certainly get the same sort of burn on long rides. I'm just about the same height and weight. My handle bar risers give about a 1" lift and 1 " back... and I have peg lowerers that give me an extra 1' or 1 1/2" room for my legs. I've always attributed the tightness and burn to long ride trip tension. I have experienced this on every bike I have owned. I will roll my shoulders, and squirm a bit on the seat (gel insert) and try to get some movement into parts of my body that are stiff for hours. I do like seeing over my windshield so I hardly every raise it. I don't know if there is a real solution.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I had that shoulder blade pain when I first started riding my st1300 and it is terrible.

I got the MCL risers for my bars and the MCL fixed peg lowering kit and it changed the ST1300 from 20 minute bike to a 6-8 hour bike for me.

NOTE: get the fixed peg lowering kit which allows the pegs to fold in a tight corner - do NOT get the the adjustable kit - they don’t fold and so they are not safe IMO.

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
AJMeister

AJMeister

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Goldwing DCT
I had that shoulder blade pain when I first started riding my st1300 and it is terrible.

I got the MCL risers for my bars and the MCL fixed peg lowering kit and it changed the ST1300 from 20 minute bike to a 6-8 hour bike for me.

NOTE: get the fixed peg lowering kit which allows thenpegs to fold Ina tight corner - do NOT get the the adjustable kit - they don’t fold and so they are not safe IMO.

Pete
Great information, Pete!

I will have to find out more about the lowering pegs. Do they affect shifting and braking? Do I still need them if I get highway blades?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
You will need to adjust your rear brake and shifter pedals downwards to accommodate the lower pegs - it’s an easy nut & bolt operation that will take 10-15 minutes on the centre stand.

I also have the highway blades but I find them difficult to deploy and not very comfy to use, so I seldom use them. YMMV however.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Although I never really experience the sort of pain you all are describing (I'm 5'11" or so), I sometimes catch myself slumping on a ride. That leads to more weight on my hands that I like, and a bit more pressure on my upper back. It's a reminder for me to sit up a bit and pay attention to my posture. The OO installed handlebar risers and they're still on the bike so I have no basis for comparison as against the stock configuration, but as a longtime long-distance bicycle rider I'm well aware of what a forward-leaning riding position feels like and how it can wear on you.

Good luck in your search for a solution.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I find that I get that pain when I get a bit lazy and my posture is not as good as it should be. I also do some exercises while riding shoulder roles and stretches and stand up on the pegs every so often. I do have a RDL and Risers.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
AJM, same muscle burn here, centered between shoulder blades and further up/out from there. I have had similar pains across all my bikes, for decades. Part of it is body and posture tendencies that are already there (for me). I get the same pains while driving any vehicle as well, but usually to a lesser degree. My current ride (BMW R1200RT) has a bit less of it because of the bike being very light and nimble, plus more upright ergonomics of the bike.

Some other things that helped me: 1) movement & stretching while riding, 2) exercises to strengthen, stretch, and relax those muscles, 3) more frequent riding to maintain muscle tone, 4) positioning more upright on the bike (avoiding the forward lean which puts all those muscles in tension), 5) risers to help avoid forward lean, 6) riding with shield further up (tied to 4 & 5). 7) stretch breaks during rides (tied to 1), 8) find the fountain of youth. I've still not managed to get #8 done, but 1 thru 7 helps me (or makes it less uncomfortable. Still, my mileage is decreasing every year partly due to body pains.

And one more: ibuprofen or similar pain med. But I don't like taking it as a prophylactic as it also increases bleeding during an injury. So I generally avoid it until/unless I'm on a ride and need to take the edge off.

STOC #
I had that pain with my first st13, even with early generation mcl risers. They helped some. On my present st13, 3rd generation mcl risers did the trick for me. Heli bar gen 3 also just as good. I was used to gl1200 wing seating position. Going to standard st13 position was a big change for me. Fairing deflectors solved heat problems. With the gen 3 risers I can easily use my utopia backrest whenever I feel the need (after 4 or 5 hrs riding).

Last edited:
Adjustable backrest. Adjusts to any position on the seat. Risers, hi way pegs all add to LD riding comfort.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
In August I finished a leisurely trip around Lake Superior (4,000 km) and I think one of the most annoying items on this trip was the intense burning sensation between my shoulder blades. I tried stretching, different windshield heights etc. but nothing seemed to really alleviate this except maybe lowering the windshield all the way which made a slight difference.

I bought this bike one year ago and it came with a Sargent seat and handlebar risers. I have no idea about the specs of this riser. I am 6'4' with most of my height in my legs and gained weight these last few years so now I am about 240 pounds. My previous bike was a 2004 GL1800 and this was never an issue on the Goldwing.

I am hoping some of you may have experienced this condition as well and am wondering if anybody found a solution. I am planning to get the highway blades eventually which would also take care of my left ankle getting very hot to the point where if am resting my boot on the very outer edge of the peg.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
$30 dollar fix....I can ride 900 miles in comfort on the stock seat, without handlebar risers, highway blades, or folding (dangerous) footpegs....
Spend $25 dollars and purchase a set of spandex 10 speed bicycle pants with gel inserts, and go to the toy shop and pick up a 6 or 8 inch rubber playground ball (red basket weave).
Put the pants on under your riding gear, and place the ball between the boys and the tank. It will act like an airbag and hold you up enough that you can even let go of the grips and cross your arms and remain in position.
laugh if you will, but I can now do 1000 mile days (after spine surgery, shoulder surgery, and dual hand surgery) in comfort.
:thumb:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Do you notice if you are leaning forward? Try removing the risers, it could be they are more than you need given your height. I'm 5'8" and w/Gen 3 risers and Sargent seat I was good for 1000+ mile days with no shoulder blade pain.. w/Gen 2 risers I did have that pain... so it was a very small tweak in angles that worked for me.

Bike
R1200rt
2 Ibuprofen before the ride works for me. Don't always get the pain, some days are better than others. I guess that comes with old age!:rofl1::rofl1:

Bike
ST1300
6'2" and 195#, with 36" sleeves here and I get that exact same pain. My ST set-up includes double risers, RDL seat, cruise control, however I have found it is not bike specific for me as I get similar pain on my Tenere with much different ergonomics. So what helps?
1. move around in the saddle and stretch arms and shoulders occasionally. Cruise control helps with options here.
2. nutrition - I find that the pain is worse when I need to eat a snack and rarely occurs when I have recently eaten. Actually, it is one of my signs to eat on LD rides and rallies. I suspect it is related to lactic acid build up, but I am no expert in exercise physiology.
3. hydration - I get less pain when well hydrated vs needing to drink. Again, another sign to drink on LD rides.
4. Lumbar belt - Yeah this doesn't immediately make sense, but it is true and makes a dramatic difference. I use a back a line lumbar belt (https://www.backaline.com) on long rides and it nearly eliminates the pain. I think it is related to helping straighten my back, avoid slouching, and giving my back muscles a break. I was on a week long LD rally this summer and had a day where I didn't put my belt on, by noon I was hurting. I stopped to put my belt on and the pain disappeared within 30 minutes and never returned again.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Don't lock your elbows. Don't put any weight on your hands. Learn to support yourself with thigh muscles. Take regular breaks. Keep your head aligned with your body, not parallel with the ground (look up with your eyes, not by tilting your head back.) Use a throttle lock and/or cramp buster.

St.John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Don't lock your elbows. Don't put any weight on your hands. Learn to support yourself with thigh muscles. Take regular breaks. Keep your head aligned with your body, not parallel with the ground (look up with your eyes, not by tilting your head back.) Use a throttle lock and/or cramp buster.
I recently, for the very first time, had a 12 hour ride on my ST1300 and it was pure agony after the first hour. The burning between the shoulder blades was terrible. I could not get home fast enough. My bike does have the Bill Mayers after-market saddle seat, which is being taken off to see if the stock seat makes a difference. My throttle wrist was killing me as well but this happened on the highway when speeds were held and consistent for long periods. I never ever experienced this before and hope I can find a remedy.

Top Bottom