Sore Spot

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
In a perfect world, except on sport bikes where we lean over quite far, our arms should not have any weight on them except for their own weight. Our arms should not be supporting our upper body, our core muscles should be doing that. Often, sadly, sore back muscles due to riding is a sign of the condition that we are in. We are relying to much on our arms to support our upper body because our core muscles tire quickly and need help. This puts abnormal strain on those muscle groups when it is sustained over a long period of time.

Sitting is the new smoking they say.

Bike
2000 ST1100
What Andrew was saying. Don't know how long you have had your bike but you have to be in somewhat condition to ride those long rides like that. The mistake some make is they will ride around town "tavern" hopping" and then decide to do a multistate ride and complain how they are hurting. You gotta get your bike in shape and yourself. Start with the bar risers if you need them and make the seat improvements if you need them and the extensions to change the position of your legs. To get your body in shape it helps to lose or lessen your spare tire around your waist and get more active to get your body in shape. Finally take some 100 to 200 mile trips to toughen your butt up for those 900 mile days you'll be traveling.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I too have had similar pain, it takes some adjusting of the seat, bars and pegs to find what works for you. I ended up with a sargent seat on lowest setting, Gen 3 heli risers and GW stock pegs. Sometimes it still hurts... I pivot my right hand to the left until only my thumb and index finger are holding the throttle, my palm is resting on the throttle, wrist and hand pain gone. Others have mentioned highway pegs and back rest, I concur. Standing up occasionally does wonders for the LDR. Practice also should not be undervalued. I don't pretend I'm under 40 anymore, I have to "be in shape" for the LDRs.

PS @Igofar mentioned the small ball and cycling gel shorts, that's my next play.

Top Bottom