sorry didn't see you

Bike
'98 ST1100 CWR
STOC #
First, bummer, sorry to hear about this.

Second, glad you're OK and the bike is fixable. Hopefully she has insurance and it won't cost you a cent.

Now then, there's a question you need to ask yourself: Why didn't you see her? Not trying to be critical, but when I got hit by a red light runner last year someone pointed out to me that I needed to examine what I could have done differently. And they were right.

I don't know the circumstances, but it sounds like she came out of a parking lot or cross street. Did you see her waiting there to pull out? Did you think about what you might do if she did? Did you notice her coming toward you, or were you not aware of her until the impact? Those are the kinds of things we need to think about if we intend to ride and stay alive.

You're right Bluestreak. Many years ago ('76 I think) I got hit by a cage that turned in front of me.
It was partly my fault ... I guess.

I had just overtaken a slow car going up a hill and forgot to turn my indicator off. The woman driving the cage ASSUMED that I was turning into the same driveway as her and proceeded to turn into me.

Luckily, she panicked after the collision and stalled her car 'cause my helmet ended up in front of her wheel with my head still in it.

You have to think for these people .. 'cause they can't do it for themselves!

Sam

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Glad you're okay Ade. Could have been a lot worse. Probably still a little sore, heal up quick!

It is amazing at how many blind people get drivers licenses. Must be the reason they have braille at drive up ATM's :rolleyes:
Hmmm, I'll have to LOOK closer at those next time. :D How about having the DMV have little motorcycles in the eye test thingy? If you can't see the bike, you don't pass! ;)

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
You're right Bluestreak. Many years ago ('76 I think) I got hit by a cage that turned in front of me.
It was partly my fault ... I guess.

snip

You have to think for these people .. 'cause they can't do it for themselves!

Sam
Agreed we do have to have to be extra careful, there's no doubt. But as the title of the thread indicates if someone simply "doesn't see you", and at the last fraction of a second pulls into your path of travel...

Of course they shouldn't have... you had the right of way... you did nothing wrong... except be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and not be seen.

The ONLY defense we have against this type of scenario is to BE SEEN. Bright lights and or headlight modulators and or bright colors, etc etc ... are the best we can do under some circumstances.

Good it worked out so well in this case Ade.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Whilst I agree we should do ALL we can to be seen, sometimes it doesn't matter how much you do... I had a white bike with yellow retro reflective markings on the front, Osram +90% headlight bulbs, additional under mirror pod lights, fluoro yellow jacket, white helmet....
The oncoming van still said he didn't see me even though I was only less than 50 yards away.....

They only 'see' you if they actually LOOK......

..and regarding the indicator thing, the UK highway code says (or used to say) you should not pull out until certain that the intention of the indicating vehicle is clear, besides, how do YOU make the turn at maybe 40mph.. no, they simply didn't LOOK and assess, before moving off.
If someone pulls out in front of you or turns across you and causes an accident, THEY are at fault... drive to survive....

OP
OP
ADE

ADE

Bike
2002 ST1100AY
STOC #
..and regarding the indicator thing, the UK highway code says (or used to say) you should not pull out until certain that the intention of the indicating vehicle is clear, besides, how do YOU make the turn at maybe 40mph.. no, they simply didn't LOOK and assess, before moving off.
If someone pulls out in front of you or turns across you and causes an accident, THEY are at fault... drive to survive....[/QUOTE]

how many more lights can I put on the bike it has under pod lights and a 16
LED day time lamp under main lights as these are brighter than dipped beam
as the highway code says do not take for granted your path is clear to pull out if someone flashes there head lights for you to come out.

OP
OP
ADE

ADE

Bike
2002 ST1100AY
STOC #
Update-:wasntme

insurance chap.:please1: been round to check over damage and said it can be repaired, booked in to honda shop should be back on road soon and as good as new again .:wave1::ukflag1:

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Update-:wasntme

insurance chap.:please1: been round to check over damage and said it can be repaired, booked in to honda shop should be back on road soon and as good as new again .:wave1::ukflag1:
That's good news Ade. Hope they do a great job with it, and my hope for you (and all of us!) "May you always be seen when you should be".

enjoy!

Top Bottom