Southeast Riders - Question about Cicadas

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I read an article today that says billions of cicadas will be emerge this summer for their mating rituals, starting late April.

I am planning a possible ride down through Virgina and northern Georgia in mid-May.

Does anyone have experience with riding during the time the cicadas are out? Does it cause any problems riding (perhaps if/when they hit the bike while moving) or any issues with them covering the road?

I've never seen them before and am just wondering what to expect. Thanks

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Lived in cicada range for 68 years and never pondered your thoughts. They don’t swarm in clouds of insects around here (Florida/Georgia) even in the years of plenty but the 2024 map sort of leaves the SE out.

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
They don’t swarm in clouds of insects around here (Florida/Georgia)
I don't think they do that anywhere. I've seen 'em in Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Murrilyn and they haven't been a problem in that regard. They cling to trees and other similar surfaces, and the millions of carcasses will collect in gutters along the sides of the street, but they're not a threat or hazard to motorized navigation as far as I know. Still, you may want to keep your visor closed as you pass through bug country- taking a cicada in the face while you're traveling at highway speed would be unpleasant, to say the least.

Last edited:

randalicious

Seasoned M/C Rider
Bike
'07 ST1300
. . . Still, you may want to keep your visor closed as you pass through bug country- taking a cicada in the face while you're traveling at highway speed would be unpleasant, to say the least.
Amen to that! I've only been struck by a June Bug hitting my chest at highway speed, which was "protected" by my T-shirt (young and dumb), and it really smarted!
IMHO, cicadas stay in their forest cover and aren't prone to be over highways.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
And don't be surprised if you see people out catching them, well a few. I found out from a buddy that I worked with that they would catch, freeze, and send themto his wife's family. She was from Thailand and they were considered a delicacy. To each, their own. I'll stick to burgers and hotdogs.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
In FL, and to a lesser extent GA, the "love bugs" (not Volkswagens) are messier and if they don't swarm, they may as well.
I've had to stop every 100 miles, or more, because while very small, they are prolific and can cover a windscreen and / or faceshield in short order.
I don't know their actual name, but they're small and black and very annoying.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
An easy way to keep your bike clean after riding through areas with insects, would be to take a can of Pam cooking spray, and spray down the fork legs, and front area(s) of the bike.
The bugs that don't just slide off, will wash off with water very easily, and the Pam cooking spray won't hurt anything.
Been doing that on Harley's for years, when riding through areas of grasshoppers or insects.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'll stick to burgers and hotdogs.
Some would argue that hotdogs could be a more questionable food source than bugs and grubs that are considered delicacies or staples in other parts of the world. The exception might be hotdogs made by people who answer to a higher authority.

Me I'll take my chances with burgers and hotdogs. Well as long as neither are made with turkey. And no sauerkraut.

Top Bottom