SpaceX Dragon re-entry today was visible here.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
The SpaceX dragon crew capsule came down across the lower US this morning. It was very visible here in Pensacola where it continued out in the Gulf of Mexico about 30 miles offshore where it splashed down in calm seas.

Tom sent me a text 9 days ago, at 11:16 p.m. ET. "Nice launch view from our street", Cool I thought right then. I've seen the long blaze of burning fuel rising up from Cape Canaveral into outer space from the street in front of his house once before myself and it's a pretty awesome thing to watch. So the text was almost like any other text from him, he saw the big rocket go up up and away. I wished I could have seen it myself but I didn't.

So when I found out yesterday the Dragon was supposed to splashdown just 40 miles south of me today I planned to go see what I could see from nearby. I got out of bed at 4:22 and quickly readied myself to drive a half mile south to the big open park where the horizon is somewhat clear all around. I wasn't completely sure what time the Dragon was supposed to be here so I entered the park and about halfway down I turned to view to the Northwest. There it was streaking across the sky already!

I jumped out of the car and got my phone out for some video and pictures. The video came out just decent and I grabbed a couple pictures. Here is the best of the pics. The burning plasma trail subsided as it dropped lower and slowed in the atmosphere and the glow disappeared completely as I watched.

It's kind of neat how @TPadden watches it go up and I see it coming down around here many miles away and days later. I may just have to take the boat out into the bay this afternoon and cruise by the Pensacola Naval base shipyard and see if I can see the actual capsule myself on board the recovery ship. I saw one of the capsules down there once before so maybe later.

IMG_3678.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
So I am about 90 miles from Vandenburg and I have seen a few launches from my porch just after sunset.
About 8 minutes after launch I have heard (felt) the sonic booms of the re-entry of the booster stage.
It amazes me that they can fly that lawn dart back and park it on a postage stamp.
A long time ago I got to see a launch up close (a few miles away).
It was transporting a science widget built by my employer.
Fun stuff to be a part of.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just so a booster or Dragon capsule doesn't land in your back yard due to an error in finding that postage stamp.

You know why they're perfecting that pin point landing... That's because one day Tesla cars are gonna fly and they need to be able to land between the lines of a parking spot in front of a public Tesla charging station.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I consider myself very fortunate to see and feel the Apollo 17 launch, see shuttle Enterprise land at Eglin AFB on the back of a 747 and to see Columbia's first lift-off but I was sleeping at 4:22 this AM.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
You know why they're perfecting that pin point landing... That's because one day Tesla cars are gonna fly and they need to be able to land between the lines of a parking spot in front of a public Tesla charging station.
Make it like a Roomba so it can find the charging station by itself.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
We were in Daytona area on vacation February 2020 and lucked into a launch being scheduled at the same time. Drove down and found a place on the beach to watch a few miles away.

Picture doesn't do it justice, and of course there's the sound and the rumble you feel as well. A local told me this was a relatively small rocket.

1710331474024.jpeg

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Many years ago, (1988 to 1993) I worked at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena. This is when the Space Shuttles were actively taking off from Florida and landing in the CA desert near Edwards AFB. Because of working there, we were given passes (for on base) to go watch the landings. I think we saw three of the landings over those few years.

As a kid, living in Goleta CA, (just north of Santa Barbara - mid to late 60's), in our back yard, my brother and I watched several launches from Vandenburg AFB. Also, I had a cousin that pushed the buttons to launch them back around that time.

Top Bottom