spare emergency fuel pump

NEW PREMIUM HIGH QUALITY FUEL PUMP WITH STRAINER KIT FOR HONDA VEHICLES VARIOUS

here is a inexpensive fuel pump purchased from ebay that could be carried along on your st 1300 to be used in a emergency. i am rebuilding a wrecked 1300 bought one installed it and it works great. might last a week or 10 years. it fits a 1993 honda civic. just fyi and a suggestion i don't need to hear the negatives.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Isn't minimal pressure (1 to 1.5 psi) a requirement for the 1300?

"1 BRAND NEW HIGH PRESSURE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP"

Bike
2010 ST1300
This is described as an external fuel pump. I would assume you intend this to go in the fuel line outside the tank in an emergency? Having seen some of the pictures of aged fuel pumps that expired in other threads, I wonder if this pump could suck fuel through a clogged filter or gummed up OEM pump.

An added plus are the options offered by this seller:
1-year accident protection plan - $5.99
10 minute call for repair assistance w/ a cert. technician - $14.95
What a deal!!!!! Especially if they make house calls. I do have to wonder about the accident protection plan. Does this cover fire and theft as well? :rofl1:

Beware: the seller, sensing overwhelming demand for this pump with the OP's post, has raised the price to $10.63. But, take heart, there are other vendors selling what looks like the exact same pump for $10.80+. I just hope the price increase is not a deal killer for the more thrifty among us.:rofl1:

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Everyone should take this thread seriously. I've had two pumps go out. The first was while riding in Indiana. The hotter it got the worse it got. Took a while to diagnose and the dealer was of NO help. Second time was climbing the Rocky Mountains west of Denver. That time I had a spare with me and knew the symptoms. Changed out a fuel pump in a hotel parking lot about midnight. They are cheap and pack small -- and if you need it you really need it.

B

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The bike will start to buck like a rodeo horse, hopefully when you are close to home and not on a mega out west tour-- DAMHIK....
And then you call me on the white courtesy phone, on the side of the road, and I locate a parts store with a pump, and text you detailed instructions, and pictures from the service manual, to make sure you make it home safe :rofl1:
:WCP1:

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
What kind of symptoms bad fuel pump guys? How do we know that before the bike is going to die?
I try to not run the bike long in the gas flashing mode, i.e. near empty. The pump likes to be cooled by being immersed in gas in the lower tank. I got down to fumes twice in Arizona and California heat on a trip in '08. That started the demise I am sure. In the spring of '09 it felt like I had bad fuel or water in the filter. Bucking is a good description. Had that problem before on the CB750 and it was the filter. It's a wonder I got anywhere at all that spring. Mother Honda only sells the "fuel pump assembly"... the price on that! I went that route... once... now I carry a $20 Cdn. spare pump like the one above. Just be careful of the gasket if you have to replace the pump. Watch your gas gauge as well.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
My pump has been failing for years and yes low fuel ( 2 bars or less) will cause bucking when the fuel is warm and the pump is not immersed in fuel. In heavy traffic on a low tank, I shut my bike down at stop lights. Also you can smell your exhaust smell change when the pump is not working properly, I call the smell a lean burn smell.
If it starts bucking badly, I pull over when it's safe and shut the bike down for a few minutes. Then start it up and look for a nearest gas station to fill the tank up. On a full tank and down to 2 bars, it never bucks.
New pump, filters and gaskets are sitting on the work bench, just need time to install as I ride year round.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
New pump, filters and gaskets are sitting on the work bench, just need time to install as I ride year round.
At the Honda shop, I think the service manager told me that the book said it would take 4 hours to change @$65/hr. Cdn at that time. I did it in 3 with a lot of hesitation, reading and rereading the manual and while sipping at least 2 coffee.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Everyone should take this thread seriously. I've had two pumps go out. The first was while riding in Indiana. The hotter it got the worse it got. Took a while to diagnose and the dealer was of NO help. Second time was climbing the Rocky Mountains west of Denver. That time I had a spare with me and knew the symptoms. Changed out a fuel pump in a hotel parking lot about midnight. They are cheap and pack small -- and if you need it you really need it.

B
If you add 2oz of MMO to every tankful of fuel, you'll find your fuel injectors stay cleaner, your 5 way tee won't clog up, your tank won't rust, and the fuel pump will last twice as long :rolleyes:

I try to not run the bike long in the gas flashing mode, i.e. near empty. The pump likes to be cooled by being immersed in gas in the lower tank. I got down to fumes twice in Arizona and California heat on a trip in '08. That started the demise I am sure. In the spring of '09 it felt like I had bad fuel or water in the filter. Bucking is a good description. Had that problem before on the CB750 and it was the filter. It's a wonder I got anywhere at all that spring. Mother Honda only sells the "fuel pump assembly"... the price on that! I went that route... once... now I carry a $20 Cdn. spare pump like the one above. Just be careful of the gasket if you have to replace the pump. Watch your gas gauge as well.
Sure, i have the Quantum fuel pump already. Just drive a little bit more until 2 bars show on the gauge then i will replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, 2 hoses and fuel joint hose at the same time.

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
Just going to point out that pump is for an ACCORD. When did we become a car forum??

Just going to point out that pump is for an ACCORD. When did we become a car forum??
So Civic or Accord? Lol. I have alot customers complaint about aftermarket Denso fuel pump on Civic. Hard to start in the morning. Replace oem fuel pump is always the best to me. But I don’t know aftermarket fuel pump on st1300. I would give a try on it.
I’m not really want to spend $700 for whole fuel pump assembly on the st1300. Let see how long can i go on the Quantum fuel pump. Hopefully last long to another 100k miles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom