Spare parts - what to carry

The post with the capital letters is the best brand to buy according to Red Green, the uncapitalized is for less critical repairs.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Unless you've added non-OEM fasteners to your bike, you have no need for a 9mm, 11mm, 13mm or 15mm sockets or wrenches.
Non-OEM stuff? Not unless you count the 3 sets of forward aux lights, aux rear lighting, aux fuel cell with attendant lines, shut offs, and pump, the gps's, radar, pegs, hydration system, custom tool box at pillion seat, and a couple of other things I'm forgetting just now. Other than that there's nothing using non-oem fasteners.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Since we last had this thread, I have added one of those little rechargeable air compressors to my flat patch gear. Otherwise, basic tool kit, spare plugs, fuses and bulbs. Everything but fix-a-flat fits under the seat.

OP
OP
Thanks for all the interest and replies to this topic, some good info above. I would look / feel the fool pulling out the credit card and trying to get help in one of our remote Canada villages which can easily be a couple hundred kms from any useful shop or recovery service (in the US you can count on help over the next hill, I've lived there). I prefer having the basic tools needed to work on this bike along with generic handy supplies - so my basic kit lands somewhere in between "a hammer" and an IBRally kit. Lots of room on this bike to carry a few things, not worried about that nor weight. Seems smart to carry (specifically for the ST1300, on this planned route) brake pads, clutch & brake levers, oil filter, thermostat, and fuel pump. Can plan ahead for big things like tires and fluid flushes. We aren't in a rush and can head for "big smoke" if worried about something; and we'll be out long enough to want a good maintenance check-up that I can do myself or put into shop. Will collect my kit together - add note here and other tool kit thread for everyone to toss darts at. Mate gets one pannier plus most of trunk, I (plus tools & parts) get one pannier plus scattered hidey holes.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Highest odds are having a nail in a tire, so gummy worm kit and a small compressor. Standard tool kit and a good 5mm hex key in case you have to pull off a battery cover. Jump pack maybe. But, if you have done the maintenance (brake and clutch fluid flush, brake pads are OK, tires OK) not a lot to worry about. And do all maintenance in time so you have a chance to go on a couple of rides ahead of time...... don't worry about an oil filter, Honda says every other time is good. Wouldn't even worry about an oil change if you have new oil before you go....... take a copy of the RAN list.......
Worry less, ride more.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'd make sure you are familiar with the kickstand switch and how to bypass it. If it goes out (a friend's did on a non Honda bike) it becomes difficult (read impossible) to shift into gear. Beyond that, a jump start battery kit (make sure you can use it to charge your phone), compressor and tire kit, spare cash & key, towel to dry the seat. But all these things have been mentioned.

I remember a couple was traveling around the world on an old Guzzi many years ago and he carried spare tires, a clutch, and enough parts to build a bike. Not needed for the ST's.

I bought a little camera bag. Inside it has a stanley folding plier mutlitool. A tyre plug kit. a small set of of heatshrink solder connectors. A blowtorch lighter for the connectors. A pickup tool and inspection mirror and mini magnetic screw tray. A slim powerful torch. A mini bahco socket set to which i added JIS bits. A jumppack and some phone cables. Under the seat i made the space bigger allowing changing the rear bulbs via under the seat there lives an air pump. Mounted somewhere is a wrapped spare key. in the front left pocket lives an alan key to get to the spare and a mini set of broken key removal tools. That way if i snap the key or lose it i can get the spare and use the tools to remove the broken part. I also want to add 1800lb pull line for towing but i cant get it in the uk. I carry most of the stuff to help mates

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I bought a little camera bag. Inside it has a stanley folding plier mutlitool. A tyre plug kit. a small set of of heatshrink solder connectors. A blowtorch lighter for the connectors. A pickup tool and inspection mirror and mini magnetic screw tray. A slim powerful torch. A mini bahco socket set to which i added JIS bits. A jumppack and some phone cables. Under the seat i made the space bigger allowing changing the rear bulbs via under the seat there lives an air pump. Mounted somewhere is a wrapped spare key. in the front left pocket lives an alan key to get to the spare and a mini set of broken key removal tools. That way if i snap the key or lose it i can get the spare and use the tools to remove the broken part. I also want to add 1800lb pull line for towing but i cant get it in the uk. I carry most of the stuff to help mates
You need some 2.5 or 3 mm dyneema rope. Very small diameter but rated at 2,500+ pounds.

I carry a toolbar that has everything I've used to due maintenance on the bike, compressor, tire plugs, fuel pump, relay, lights, jump kit, odds and ends, duct tape, wire ties, wire. Most of it fits in a Dewalt tool bag takes up 3/4 of my left bag inner area. My left bag is maintenance, first aid, rainwear if needed and whatever else I can get in there.....

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
A lot of good suggestions in this thread. I have gotten a little slack and have some catching up to do.

Fuel pump? shock? Brake pads? Thermostat?
For me no way. However, I can relate to the level of concern and advantage of having these subjects covered.
For me preemptive maintenance.
For instance.
New SMC.
Starting season with new brake pads. Or depending on how mileage works out in a season, starting a long ride with new pads.
Thermostat, this takes up so little room but the time, hassle and safety issues of changing it on the road could be avoided. Just change it now and it will be good.
Shock is probably good for 70,000 miles, and likely more, but age might kill it sooner. So, if it has more than 35,000 install a new or freshly rebuilt one.

If it hasn’t come up, I recommend having a U-joint and swing arm pivot tools. I carry them on my 60,000+ mile 2006. At 80,000 miles or so, as the odds of having to replace during inconvenient circumstances increase, I’ll preemptively replace it in the comfort of my shop. I had one go bad at an unlikely point of 65,000ish miles.

Fuel pump. Because I hate working with gasoline, for me, if I had any concern to carry a spare, I would replace it right now with the convenience of having run the tank down and doing the job on a nice day outside. 60,000 miles is my mark for fuel pump replacement.
The fuel pipe that connects the tanks is a good one to change
My point is to preemptively replace parts to mitigate the need to carry spares and doing repairs on the road.
Take this out even further. Windshield adjuster. Overhaul it now. This reduces the friction by, in a case I had, 50%. But what if?

Pretty much anything can be shipped anywhere domestically within a couple days. I have had spares in boxes ready to ship. I could say, sweetheart, or whomever, send me the box marked windshield adjuster on that shelf.
My ST1100s were so reliable that I never got back to this level with the 13s. Still, I have heavy spares. Shock, windshield, windshield adjuster, handle bars, etc on shelves. At least I can say, “sweetheart grab the thingamagimy off of that shelf, take it to FedEx, have them box it and send it to me, thanks, love you.”

duct tape= 1” wide
Duct Tape= regular width
DUCT TAPE= extra wide

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
A lot of good suggestions in this thread.
<SNIP>
Fuel pump? shock? Brake pads? Thermostat?
For me no way. However, I can relate to the level of concern and advantage of having these subjects covered.
<SNIP>
Shock is probably good for 70,000 miles, and likely more, but age might kill it sooner.
<SNIP>
Age may kill a shock, but so will overloading the bike to the extreme (even though it's been done many times) on a long trip.
You make a lot of sense; outside of being an Iron Butt Rally participant, I can't see loading up with major "spare" ST parts. Doing the work at home, pre-emptively, would be (and is) my preference. As we've heard so many times, there simply is no way to prepare for every conceivable situation, but prior proper planning plus prompt preventive maintenance will serve us all well, local or remote.
My opinion.

Top Bottom