Speaker & amp advice needed please..

Hi from the UK - a new member just signed up - great site & look forward reading all about US ST1300s. I would like to add a removable mini MP3 player to my bike so I can take it anywhere. Of course they usually have a tiny jack socket for headphones. But I was wondering if I could fit a pair of marine 4" speakers with an amp to the bike, so that I could just plug in my MP3 player when I need to. Anyone tried this sort of thing and got any advice ? Thanks in anticipation - Andy. :)

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I know I've seen a little amp out there but I can't find the site right now. 4" speakers might be a tough mount.

You can get speakers and the boxes to put them in from David Silver Spares but they've made the site hard to pass on the direct URL to them:

Go here

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

Then click on:
Genuine Spares -> ST1300 PAN EUROPEAN -> ST1300 : Accessory front speaker set

That would be the speakers to go on the ST and probably the max size that will fit. They can tell you the size. The speakers are only 10W but maybe you could find a better set with the same size speaker holes.

If I find the little amp I saw I'll post it.

Curt

OP
OP
nisbeam
Thanks crazy - that's just what I was looking for. Regarding speakers, I have read that the Honda ones are 4" but I will measure to check. If so, I dont want to pay well over ?100 for a paid of 10watt Honda speakers, when I can get marine spec. 30W 8 ohm HiFi Quality Coaxial Speakers for ?30.
If they fit I will probably go for those instead. I still need to check a few other options such as a remote for the MP3 that will be widely compatible with various units. Perhaps I'm searching for the impossible but sounds (pardon the pun) like a fun project if it works. I'll post my results. Thanks again. Andy. :03biker:

Here's a link to the RumbleRoad speakers I use on my Harley. The ones I got have the amplifier built on to the back of each speaker. I use them with an iPod and it's plenty loud enough even with the loud Harley pipes and at 70 mph speeds.
Above that the sound quality starts to suffer, obviously rock music comes through better than soft jazz.
I test rode a GL1800 (no rear speakers) and plugged my iPod into the auxillary and it sucked compared to the RumbleRoad speakers on my RoadKing.

I've removed the speakers from the chrome housing they came in and installed them in a custom fiberglass enclosure built for the RoadKings windshield and they sound even better that way.
I can't imagine how great they will sound when I put them on a nice quiet ST1300!

Here's a few pics of the actual speakers while I was installing them on the Harley pic1 and pic2

Here's a pic of the RoadKing where you can kind of see the box I'm talking about, I hope to make a similar one for my new ST1300...as soon as I can sell the RoadKing and buy one that is ;)

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom