Speed Bleeders... used 'em?

Diesel Dave

HOPS!
Bike
04 Candy ST1300
These thingys, seem to be the bee's knees, the duck's guts and the cat's pyjamas for bleeding brakes/clutch and putting the new fluid though your ST's veins.....
H o w e v a r ...

A lot of folks on here swear by the mini vac/pump system of drawing the fluid through. Why?

Is there anything wrong with the speed bleeders that I should know before I get a few sent half way around the planet? :shrug2:

Does it have anything to do with the front/rear balancing (linked braking) valve?

Do tell.....

Thanks, Dave

-

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Those look slick. If you could pressurize you reservoir so there's no pump, refill, pump, refill. With the vac system, just keeping the reservoir full is all that's required along with a negative pressure on the bleeder screw. I may get some even tho I use the vac method just for insurance.

Bike
'05 ST1300A
A speed bleeder is just a one way check valve. Since you are only working one bleeder at a time, you only need one check valve in your tubing IMO. Makes it a one-person job...pump lever, refill, pump, refill.

Is a vacuum pump better? If you have to hand pump it to create vacuum, I don't see an advantage over just pumping your brake/clutch levers. Seems to me that either method will produce the same results if you are just topping up your reservoir with fresh brake fluid and moving it though though your system.

If you want to completely drain your reservoir, brake lines, etc., then maybe a vacuum pump is needed, but I don't see a reason to do this for a routine fluid change (and I think there are good reasons to not do it, like air throughout your system ;)).

If I'm missing something here, I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly. :duck:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Will say that teflon tape with help with all if using vac bleeder (stops the tiny bubbles from threads) so if your changing bleeders anyway...use it.

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
I'v seen people here mention that the have a high leak potential.
I don't have them on the st but do on the klr seems to work fine.

You could make a one man bleeder using some hose and the speed bleeder so you don't have to take out the original.....kind of useless thought but it would work

OP
OP
Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave

HOPS!
Bike
04 Candy ST1300
Thanks Buzz and everyone else...

As per usual, by the time I've even thought about it, good ol ST Owners has debated it on all levels and provided many good points of view. :bow1::bow1::bow1:

Thanks for the link. ;-)

-

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
I've got them on my bike...just don't put one on the PCV, it's not deep enough to accept it. at least mine wasn't, and i had a constant brake fluid leak until I replaced that one...the rest are fine though.....

Top Bottom