Speed Limit Changes - Hockley and River Roads

STOC #
Just a heads up, more politically motivated speed limit changes have been approved and installed. I say politically motivated because the roads have not changed and I'm not aware of any serious crashes on these roads, just more riders enjoying the roads (possibly too much) and residents wanting them to go away.

20th Sideroad / River Road -
From Airport Road to Terra Nova was 80 and 70 kph, is all now 60 kph. River Road from Terra Nova to Prince of Wales was 60 kph and is now 50 kph, with a "Community Safety Zone" in Terra Nova and then again between Kilgorie and Prince of Wales Road. The section from Prince of Wales to Horning's Mills remains 60 kph, for now, but there is another "Community Safety Zone" near the Pine River Academy, which I don't recall seeing before. On my first ride through there following the change there was a visible presence of OPP, so take heed.

Hockley Valley Road -
A short section west of Airport Road will be dropped from 70 kph to 50 kph. Not installed the last time I was through there so I don't know how far west it will extend. I'm guessing it will likely go to 5th Line, which is the first concession road west of Airport Road. Too many full time residents on Cottage Road complaining they can't safely get in or out of their properties. Maybe a friggin' signal at Airport Road and Hockley Valley Road would improve safety in this area because that's where the collisions happen!

Highway 10 -
The section through Caledon Village, which is a 50 kph zone and largely ignored by everyone, has now seen the addition of a "Community Safety Zone". Watch for OPP to really up their game in this area.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
While some folks won't enjoy the lower speeds as long as the new speeds are clearly posted then everyone is at least capable of seeing and obeying them.

If you're not attentive and miss the signs, and get stopped being over the limit, while unfortunate it is what is it.

Thanks for the heads up as every little bit helps. There's lots to watch and be attentive to on a motorcycle that's for sure!

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Same for #10 Sideroad or is that called CR #17 at that point - west of Mansfield just before the "switchback" through the valley. 80kph down to 60kph and its been patrolled lately.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Thanks for the heads up. I took the river road last month on my way to the RTC and the speeds were 60kph and 70kph. Well there's always going through Creemore for a bit of excitement ;)

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I also appreciate the heads-up, especially as I'm riding some of those roads tomorrow! Lower limits can catch someone off-guard when they aren't flagged as such and the penalty can be a big hit to the pocketbook especially if it is one of those Community Safety Zones.

Over the years I have ridden through there countless times and I remember 4 instances that were memorable for the wrong reasons:
  1. A couple of years back while a group of riders were heading along River Road a ST1300 decided to head off-road and needed to be trailered back to its home for some repairs.
  2. A couple of years before that, on the same road but from the other direction, I came around a bend, possibly at a slightly elevated pace, and startled a heron who had just taken off. I literally scared the crap out of him and he lightened his load and managed to aim for my windscreen and my shoulder.
  3. A few years before that, also on River Road, an ST1100 also decided to try riding off the pavement and ultimately that was bought by a forum member in Connecticut.
  4. About a decade ago a long boarder target fixated on a bike 2 behind me and crossed the yellow line right into the bike on Price of Wales.
So I'm generally on high alert in the area anyways but the notification about the changes is welcome.

OP
OP
Malks
STOC #
Thanks for the heads up. I took the river road last month on my way to the RTC and the speeds were 60kph and 70kph. Well there's always going through Creemore for a bit of excitement ;)
Give 'em time and CR 9 will likely see a change to the limit. Frankly I can't believe that parts of that road are still posted at 80 kph!

Hi I'd like to introduce myself here. I was browsing around and found this forum, thinking it was for ST Ducatis, one of which I
recently bought. '04 ST4s, also the owner of other Ducatis, I live fairly close to river road in nearby southgate twp. I am likely to be seen on or about River road
on a '94 Ducati Elefant, but those 'community safety' signs have me a bit worried that the cops are going to crack down around there. Last sunday some guy crashed into
what I don't know, but I'm gonna avoid the area on weekends. Tom

Bike
R1200rt
Hi I'd like to introduce myself here. I was browsing around and found this forum, thinking it was for ST Ducatis, one of which I
recently bought. '04 ST4s, also the owner of other Ducatis, I live fairly close to river road in nearby southgate twp. I am likely to be seen on or about River road
on a '94 Ducati Elefant, but those 'community safety' signs have me a bit worried that the cops are going to crack down around there. Last sunday some guy crashed into
what I don't know, but I'm gonna avoid the area on weekends. Tom
if you tour this site may be for you. ST hondas are slowly being reduced in numbers and many members ride a large variety of bikes. Like to tour, meet at campouts?? stick around.

Bike
2005 VFR800
Just a heads up, more politically motivated speed limit changes have been approved and installed. I say politically motivated because the roads have not changed and I'm not aware of any serious crashes on these roads, just more riders enjoying the roads (possibly too much) and residents wanting them to go away.

20th Sideroad / River Road -
From Airport Road to Terra Nova was 80 and 70 kph, is all now 60 kph. River Road from Terra Nova to Prince of Wales was 60 kph and is now 50 kph, with a "Community Safety Zone" in Terra Nova and then again between Kilgorie and Prince of Wales Road. The section from Prince of Wales to Horning's Mills remains 60 kph, for now, but there is another "Community Safety Zone" near the Pine River Academy, which I don't recall seeing before. On my first ride through there following the change there was a visible presence of OPP, so take heed.

Hockley Valley Road -
A short section west of Airport Road will be dropped from 70 kph to 50 kph. Not installed the last time I was through there so I don't know how far west it will extend. I'm guessing it will likely go to 5th Line, which is the first concession road west of Airport Road. Too many full time residents on Cottage Road complaining they can't safely get in or out of their properties. Maybe a friggin' signal at Airport Road and Hockley Valley Road would improve safety in this area because that's where the collisions happen!

Highway 10 -
The section through Caledon Village, which is a 50 kph zone and largely ignored by everyone, has now seen the addition of a "Community Safety Zone". Watch for OPP to really up their game in this area.
Tickets and money! that's what its all about. remind your neighbors and friends the speed limit is suppose to be determined through a speed survey in which no police are present on the roads and the people drive at the speed they feel comfortable with. California has set the speed limit 10 to 20 miles an hour slower the the speed surveys. It's actually caused more accident and problems in the long run. Currently police are no where in sight and people travel at 85 mph on an average in the fast lanes of the freeways, slower drivers gladly stay to in the right lanes. Lest road rage. Very few traffic accidents.

if you tour this site may be for you. ST hondas are slowly being reduced in numbers and many members ride a large variety of bikes. Like to tour, meet at campouts?? stick around.
Ok, Thanks, Sure I like to tour around, mostly renfrew county area I get out to the last bunch of years, What area are you talking about for moto camping ? I'd like a few places to camp in the areas north and west of sudbury this year if possible, Thanks

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Thanks for that link-up, Kiltman, I love that area,.,.,some of the best riding in Ontario. Sounds like a great weekend to make a few new friends.

I am fortunate to have a place to crash in that area, my brother has a place on 515, I usually like to ride up during the week and ride a few days up there,
avoiding the weekend traffic to enjoy the roads a bit more. I'm a self employed cabinetmaker so I'll work in my shop long weekends just to avoid traffic.
Or I'm sometimes on a track event weekends, either Ducati Owners trackdays or racing with VRRA.

In any case, thanks and never know, I'd maybe show up and camp at Donald lake.
Tom

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
camp in the areas north and west of sudbury this year if possible
There are a few provincial parks in the Sudbury area, Grundy, my favourite when I was a kid, Windy Lake just north of Sudbury on 144 and Fairbanks west on 17. There isn’t much until you get North of the Sault. The odd private camp ground on Hwy 17. You can camp for free at the White River info booth, I’ve done that a few times.
Another event to consider is ONStoc in September. Details here. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/onstoc-15-sep-9-12-2021-huntsville-ont.175421/

STFlips,.,.How do you like the riding position on the ST4? I can't get feeling right on the ST4s,., I think I'm going to sell it.
The riding position is jujst between a racing crouch and upright on mine and it pains me between the shoulder blades.
My E900 elefant Ducati I sit upright and relaxed on, can ride it all day and not feel a pain, the St4s on the other hand, nope.
Cheers all, Tom

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
STFlips,.,.How do you like the riding position on the ST4? I can't get feeling right on the ST4s,., I think I'm going to sell it.
The riding position is jujst between a racing crouch and upright on mine and it pains me between the shoulder blades.
My E900 elefant Ducati I sit upright and relaxed on, can ride it all day and not feel a pain, the St4s on the other hand, nope.
Cheers all, Tom
Full disclosure, the Duc is not mine, belongs to a good buddy. I have ridden it numerous times however, and agree with your assessment.
Rode both STs back to back last summer and I prefer the Honda ;). Never ridden an Elefant, but sounds more like a UJM riding position. Lot's of Honda ST guys use risers to get that more relaxed upright position, might help on your ST4?

Hi I bought a set of 2" risers, they are the type that insert into the handlebar mount, then you position the bars into
the 2" risers, but I haven't tried that yet, I'm not sure there is enough cable length.
The Elefant is the street version of the Dakar racing bike, so it's a bike dirt bike, really, but has an excellent riding position.
Does your buddy know Ken Livingston? He's a motorcycle mechanic in Whitby, works on Ducatis, and is a great guy, Cheers

Top Bottom