Speed Triple input needed

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
I've recently picked up an '09 Goldwing and have a pristine condition metallic blue 2007 Bandit 1250 ABS in the garage that just hit 8K. It is bone stock expect for a Stebel horn, Cox radiator guard, and Holeshot mirror extensions. It's never been down, never stunted, garage kept, serviced according to spec, and treated like a $40K Ducati. Suzuki makes color matched side cases and a top case that make this torque monster a fantastic touring machine.

I'm thinking about getting something that is kind of the "opposite" of the Wing. I also have too much money tied up in bikes so I'm looking for something older and/or with more miles so I can hand over the keys to the Bandit in return for some cash and a bike. I'm thinking about an older VFR, FZ1, Z1000, or something similar. About the only thing I'm not interested in is a cruiser, unless it's a Magna. I'd also consider an older sport bike.

So, I got a reply to a similar post over on advrider.com. He has a 2000 Speed Triple and would like to trade the S3 + cash for the Bandit. It is in very good condition, with just 12K on her. He has also modified it quite heavily:

Aftermarket Stuff:
Triumph Bar End Mirrors, Rear Hugger, Carbon Fiber Tank protector, Carbon Fiber'ish frame protectors, Billet master cyclinder res., fly screen, solo seat cowl, and belly pan. Belly pan and seat cowl are getting painted next week along with the front fender. Some scuffs that I want taken care of and the belly pan doesnt match right now.

LED signals all around
Carbon fiber gauge surround
Corbin seat
Chain Reaction Moto low mount pipe
Uni Filter
Triumph Off Road Map to match pipe and air filter
RaceTech front spring set up for a 215-245lb rider
Eibach rear spring set up for the same

Start of this season (about 8k) I did a coolant flush and added Water Wetter, Sythetic Oil change, front and rear brake fluid flush, 10wt fork oil, EBC front pads, New header hardware, Replaced the upper steering stem bearing with a tapered unit. The factory bearing sucked and constantly needed adjustment.

The tires are Pilot Roads CT2's. The front is fine the rear is just starting to square up a bit. They have around 7500 miles on them.

Over all the bike is in good condition. There is a small stain on the left side frame from a fuel leak and a few minor scuffs on the rear fairing from my throwovers. The rear taillight is safety wired in cause I'm an idiot and broke the screw insert when I first got the bike.

I bought it last June with 2300 miles on it. Its had three oil changes since with the recomended Mobil 1. I always planned on keeping it for a good long time so I maintained that way. Its going to be tough to give it up and theres a good chance my wife wont speak to me for a bit.

The valves are every 12K. I'm going to do the 12k service before I sell or trade it. I wont let it go without knowing its safe and running well. She gives a puff of smoke if you rev it when it first starts but once she's warm she runs fine. The front wheel has been of the ground twice and niether time were show off wheelies. I was simply showing a friend that his Harley wasnt as fast as he thought. Never spun the rear tire. never dropped. Original owner was an older guy and I dont think he treated it any differently.

The Speed Triple seems like a great bike to complement the Goldwing. Naked, quick, light, nimble, all the things I'd like for commuting and spirited rides in the mountains. It would be for solo riding only. Thoughts on this deal and this specific Speed Triple (the year, mods, any particular mechanical things to watch out for, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I don't have a whole lot of insight with the S3 but more like triumph as a whole. The motor is rock solid and it looks like he has done the required suspension upgrades that should be done. (Stock springs are week) It looks like a winner to me.

The only week spot triumph has is their Coils. They do go out and are not a hard fix but can leave you stranded if you don't take care of them when they give you there first symptom

OP
OP

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
Thank you, Guy. I'm also curious how the S3 compares to the Honda 919. Similar bikes in some respects, but very differnt. The S3 seems more like a hooligan bike, where the 919 seems like a more comfortable UJM.

OP
OP

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
Since the offer for the Speed Triple, I've also been asked about a trade for a 2003 Aprilia Falco. Don't know anything about Aprilia's but it sure is a sexy bike!

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Ken, you didn't like the 1K SV much, so the Falco probably wouldn't be your cup o' tea either. just sayin', not positive you wouldn't like, but the similarity would probably be very strong.

OP
OP

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
Interesting POV, Carl. Maybe you could enlighten me since I know virtually nothing about Aprilia's. The Falco is a v-twin with a 25.0 deg./3.82 in. rake/trail. It has much more sport design and ride posture to it. So, what similarities are there that I wouldn't appreciate?

BTW, the offer for the S3 is off the table. Since then, I've been offered cash + a mint condition '99 VFR. I always had a lust for the VFR, especially the pre-VTEC models. I'm in email conversation with the owner. What is your take on the '99 VFR, Carl? Two Hondas, a Wing and a VFR in the garage would make Ken a happy boy. One for touring with the wife and one for solo, more spirited rides. :)

Bike
08 ST1300ABS
The Speed Triple is great! I had a 2008 and put 10,000 miles on it. No problems. Ran it at the track so I had some mods. HP numbers only tell part of the story. The torque is fantastic from 3k to redline. From 08 on Brembo high specification brakes. They work flawlessly and have very good feel and linear response. In my opinion this is the sport bike to get. If you want naked, this is it. Forget about the overpriced Duck. Make the following mods and it will crush the competition (at least as well as your riding permits).

The suspension is too soft for anyone over 165 lbs that plans on really pushing it like on the track. I went to Computrack Boston (they are all over the country) and had the spring rates and valving changed to match my weigh and riding style. Also put on a Penski rear shock setup for me. Cost $1500. You are still way below the Duck.

Put on Pazzo levers just because I low sided and snapped off the factory ones. Pazzo's are nice.

Put sliders all around.

Mine was safety wired around the brakes and oil but that was for the track. I did it myself.

My only fault with the bike is that the seat kills your butt after about 200 miles. Sounds like the ST1300 seat doesn't it?!?

I sold it to get the ST1300. I'm 49 and like to go for longer rides packing some stuff and and occasional passenger that is not build like a teenager.

It is a super bike. Racer boy may go for the Moto GP look but the honest truth is most of them can't drive a liter bike unless they are rocketing in a straight line. The torque that the Speed Triple has makes it a blast in the curves.

Regards

Larry

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Just thinking the overall big V-twin type vibe is deeply similar across brands, including engine braking pressure and other running characteristics which have a certain feel that is given to the machine overall. Also the riding position is similar as well. If I remember right you didn't seem to truly feel at home on the SV. I take to a v-twin like a duck to water, but there are others who just don't get the gestalt at all. Just a thought.

The VFR on the other hand, I'd bet you might enjoy that sort of motor feel at the very least. Very nice bikes.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I knew a guy that had one... When at idle, it sounded like a hand full of ball-bearings were loose in the crankcase... At speed, though, the after-market pipes were awesome... :D
:cool:

Top Bottom