Speedo Healer install -- quick tips

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Just installed the speedo healer on my 2007 ST1300. Pretty straight forward even for a new owner -- Removed all the right side plastics just because (found a few broken clips). Then removed EVERYTHING that was in the way of the speedometer sensor connector (vacuum stuff, brackets, crash guard, etc) -- gave me way more room to work with the electrical area. mounted the box on top of the battery cover.

Works exactly as it should--my speedometer was off 6 mph and after I dialed in 6 mph of correction, it is now dead on.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
6 mph and after I dialed in 6 mph of correction, it is now dead on.
Sure is nice to be able to actually USE the speedo, isn't it!
Just remember, your trip and bike mileage will now be off by the amount of correction you dialed in.
Check with your GPS.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
After I installed mine, it worked perfectly. . Checked mileage with my GPS and it was spot-on.

After I installed mine, it worked perfectly. . Checked mileage with my GPS and it was spot-on.
Just installed the speedo healer on my 2007 ST1300. Pretty straight forward even for a new owner -- Removed all the right side plastics just because (found a few broken clips). Then removed EVERYTHING that was in the way of the speedometer sensor connector (vacuum stuff, brackets, crash guard, etc) -- gave me way more room to work with the electrical area. mounted the box on top of the battery cover.

Works exactly as it should--my speedometer was off 6 mph and after I dialed in 6 mph of correction, it is now dead on.
My speedo in my 2005 is out about 8 kms according to GPS and I know GPS is an average but what is this Speedo Healer you talk about do

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
...... but what is this Speedo Healer you talk about do
It is an electronic device that alters the signal being sent to the instrument cluster to correct the speedometer reading. It will correct the speedometer to be more accurate but will cause the odometer to be less accurate by a corresponding amount. It cannot correct the speedometer with out affecting the odometer. You need to decide if a more accurate speedometer is more important to you than a less accurate odometer. An alternative is to just use you GPS for speed indications.

Follow this link for information- SpeedoHealer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I set my speedohealer to correct the odometer. I went a bit farther - like 50 miles watching the milemarkers on the freeway to double check, tweaking it on the way out and the way back. Now my spedometer is only off about 1 to 2 mph - close enough and the odo is about as close as I can get it.

Bike
2005 st1300
I set my speedohealer to correct the odometer. I went a bit farther - like 50 miles watching the milemarkers on the freeway to double check, tweaking it on the way out and the way back. Now my spedometer is only off about 1 to 2 mph - close enough and the odo is about as close as I can get it.
This is clever. I have noticed my speedo is out , but I have never checked my ODO. I have always been indifferent to a speedo healer because it would affect my ODO and I always assumed that my odo was correct. Now you have me thinking that maybe both are out and I could maybe benefit from a speedo healer. Im going to have to check my odometer come spring.

Bike
2010 ST1300
This is clever. I have noticed my speedo is out , but I have never checked my ODO. I have always been indifferent to a speedo healer because it would affect my ODO and I always assumed that my odo was correct. Now you have me thinking that maybe both are out and I could maybe benefit from a speedo healer. Im going to have to check my odometer come spring.
Many folks have posted here that the speedo runs about 7% out and the odo about 3 or 4% out (the speeds and distance shown are higher than actual). There is some bike to bike variablity in those numbers. Anyway, I wanted the distance to be right on, and I was able to come pretty close. I chose mile markers on interstates as my measurement of choice because Ron (@dohboy ) told me that those are pretty accurate (surveyors work to a 1 in 10,000 unit accuracy(I think)). Your GPS measures in a series of straight lines around curves. Not knowing the length of said line and the frequency of iteration, I chose mile markers.

You can get one of the two - speedo or odo very close. For me, having a speedo that reads 1 or 2 mph high at 70 indicated is ok. Some guys prefer it the other way round. Our mileage obviously varies. (sorry for that one - couldn't resist)

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
It gets confusing when someone says their speedo was off 6 MPH. Sure but at what speed? The Speedo Healer works in percentage. My speedo was off a little over 7%. Meaning at a displayed 50 MPH, in reality I was only doing about 46. At 80 it was really 74. The Speedo Healer correction factor is a percentage, not a MPH count.

EDIT: What I said may not be entirely correct. I just remembered I have a SpeedoDRD from 12O'clock labs. Need to dig further.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 st1300
You can get one of the two - speedo or odo very close. For me, having a speedo that reads 1 or 2 mph high at 70 indicated is ok. Some guys prefer it the other way round. Our mileage obviously varies. (sorry for that one - couldn't resist)
yeah, Im with you in thinking I would like my odo to be spot on. I wouldnt care if my speedo is a bit high and would prefer that to a little low

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I set my speedohealer to correct the odometer.
Interesting method Peter.
I have always read on this site that correcting the speedometer throws the odometer out of whack. Not considering one to be particularly better than the other I never gave the SpeedoHealer any consideration. My speedo displays 8% higher than actual. I know my odometer also displays more distance traveled than what the GPS records but I have never checked by how much nor have I ever checked if the GPS distance is accurate either. Sounds like with a little fiddling it is possible to get both fairly accurate.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I wouldnt care if my speedo is a bit high and would prefer that to a little low
I don't mind that my speedo read high/faster than actual. I tend to ride within the law and only occasionally breach it. Having it read lower would mean that sooner or later I would be exceeding the speed limit enough to possibly garner an award.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Exactly. Fixing the odo may bring the speedo back into whack... LOL
Almost....
The Speedo error is larger than the ODO error (using GPS reference), so you can make both better by splitting the difference, but can't make both accurate.
But of course, YMMV, :biggrin: .

Bike
2005 st1300
Almost....
The Speedo error is larger than the ODO error (using GPS reference), so you can make both better by splitting the difference, but can't make both accurate.
But of course, YMMV, :biggrin: .
I agree. Your not likely going to fix both. I was making reference or humor at the whole "out of whack, back into whack" thing

Bike
1991 ST1100
Accurate speedo, sure I guess; but accurate odo?? Who cares, unless it's WAY off? Does it matter if your trip was 100km or 101km? My bike has 120k km, give or take. At those numbers an extra or fewer thousand km doesn't mean squat to me

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I did a pretty thorough analysis of the ST1300's speedometer and odometer accuracy against the GPS. I used multiple samples from the GPS and speedo on different days running in different directions. I can't find it now but It was an older post, complete with graphs and spread sheet of the raw data. I found the ST speedo to be 6.9% optimistic and the odometer reading about 4% too high. I set the speedohealer to correct the speedometer making it consistently spot on with the GPS but the odometer was showing about 2% to low afterward. Averaging the mileage on the bike before and after installation, the final mileage was pretty much right on.

Bike
82 VF750S Sabre
I would caution on using mile markers on an interstate as an absolute distance. If you check in an area with 0.1 mile markers, probably accurate, but for which lane (curves), and how do you reference the same spot at 65 to 70 mph. It will have you close, but I would rather use civilian GPS to compare to the odometer of the cycle. For a 10 mile route, the most the GPS will be off less than an error in reading the odometer at a mile marker and it can all be done at a stop. If you insist on using interstate markers, use markers that are not near ramps, bridges, and the like as if the exact spot would be on the bridge or ramp, they set the marker at the closest available spot.

Neal

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
naedlaen said:
I would caution on using mile markers on an interstate as an absolute distance.
The last thing I'm concerned about on a bike ride or for any reason regarding a vehicle is absolute distance. Using mile markers on interstates with or without .1mi markers is probably more accurate than a stock ST odometer. If I put 100Kmi on the clock and I've actually done 4Kmi more or less I'm not gonna care. As long as I know the ST's not speeding that's fine by me.

Top Bottom