Speedometer error?

Bike
2003 ST1300
Well I am not interested in a lawsuit, but I do find the speedo error annoying. Honda could make the speedometer accurate, they chose to make it consistently off by 7-10%. The police speedo is accurate, my 1981 Yamaha was accurate. Why should I need to perform calculations in my head to figure out how fast I am going?
Of course the dim, dimmer and dimmest display is also annoying....

Bike
2000 ST1100
It seems the allowed error as designed is +/- 10% (5mph at 50 MPH. Manufactures probably err to indicate high to avoid those pesky lawsuits.

CFR ? Title 49 ? Subtitle B ? Chapter III ? Subchapter B ? Part 393 ? Subpart G ? Section 393.82
? 393.82 Speedometer.
Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor must be equipped with a speedometer indicating vehicle speed in miles per hour and/or kilometers per hour. The speedometer must be accurate to within plus or minus 8 km/hr (5 mph) at a speed of 80 km/hr (50 mph).
[70 FR 48054, Aug. 15, 2005]

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I installed a speedohealer fixed the speed but the Odom is off by 5% to two different gps

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
CFR › Title 49 › Subtitle B › Chapter III › Subchapter B › Part 393 › Subpart G › Section 393.82
? 393.82 Speedometer.
Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor must be equipped with a speedometer indicating vehicle speed in miles per hour and/or kilometers per hour. The speedometer must be accurate to within plus or minus 8 km/hr (5 mph) at a speed of 80 km/hr (50 mph).
[70 FR 48054, Aug. 15, 2005]
I suspect the metric part has been removed from that code, I see cars today that have only mph speedos.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I suspect the metric part has been removed from that code, I see cars today that have only mph speedos.
It's still in the code. Federal law mandates that speedometers show miles per hour; metric has always been optional.

--Mark

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did the speedohealer and gear shift indicator. There's no looking back.
Really nice to look down and see accurately what speed your going and what gear your in.
No more mental calculations to make on both inaccuracies. More time to focus on the road and surroundings.
Spedometer is +\- .5 MPH now. Even if my odometer is out, I don't sweat that part.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Even if my odometer is out, I don't sweat that part.
I have a lower mileage bike. Factor in the 4% fewer miles shown for the 113,500 miles I have ran the SH and my bike would read about 144k now. I doubt the fewer miles makes my bike worth more than the actual miles.

I did not put it on till the bike had 26k miles.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
For a 100 bucks the speedohealer is a great and simple upgrade for speedo correction. Like others there seems to be slight differences in the error correction. Mine is 7.5% correction. As for the odometer with out correction it tracks more miles than the GPS and with the speedohealer correction mine is about a -5.43% average over many thousands of miles. So on the odometer I went from a +2.05% to a -5.43% error. I use the average because the GPS has error as well and using the actuals the odometer on the GPS was all over the board on error factor when compared to the bikes odometer.

There are several things that contribute to the odometer error percentage. First is the horizontal accuracy of the GPS and the actual placement of the wheel on the pavement. The GPS can wonder and does as much a Plus/minus 30 feet horizontally. So if your were to drive in a straight line and then look at your GPS data point route you will find that more often than not the GPS points are not on the road and could and do wonder from side to side. This action does increase and decrease the length of the route drive. There is also error in the maps used for the comparison.

Other things than influence the odometer error and laugh or not it is true curvy roads vs. straight. On straight roads you use the largest diameter of the tire for both speed and distance calculation on the bike. On curvy roads you are more likely to use the side of the face of the tire which has a smaller diameter and increasing the speed at which the wheel moves. And creates error. A GPS does not take these things into account since it is using mathematics for its distance calculation between points generated typically every second. So based on this logic there is error added.

Personally I prefer to look at the speedometer for my speed than the GPS, so the speedohealer made perfect since for me. I also would rather have a more accurate speedo reading than odometer.

On an additional note I think so manufactures go on speedo error. Have you ever noticed how slow some V twins go on the interstate compared to other vehicle?

Oh and for milepost markers don't use them they are not placed accurately enough to use for speedo and odometer calculations.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My speedometer reads high and I know by how much so that's good enough for me. My $100 is better spent on gas or some other farkle that's more functional.

In a normal world the instruments would be perfect and we'd be a lot more polite to fellow posters instead of worrying what they're worried about. Speeding is the least of mine.

Somebody mentioned tire size. I've had three STs. With stock tires they all ran 5 - 7% fast. Having to buy tires while traveling I've gotten different aspect rations and the speedo error will change. Whatever is on it now is running about 3% fast. A Harly tire, made by Dunlop, puts the speedo pretty much dead on. All comparisons done to a Garmin GPS.

Len

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Better check your car while you're at it. A large number of American cars are off, but less than our ST1300's. Durango is 3 MPH off once you reach 20 MPH. My ST is dead on up to about 25....then goes up to between 5-7% off. Toyota Corrolla are spot on ( all 3 we've owned,so far). Been told manufacturors can be fined if they read below actual speed.
I discovered a few months after I bought my 03 Mustang GT 2+ years ago that my speedo read low. On my first real road trip in the car, from Houston to Ill, I had my Garmin GPS stuck to the windshield and noticed that at 80mph indicated, I was actually going 85mph. Then I discovered that a previous owner had replaced the correctly sized 245/45ZR17 tires with skinnier and taller 235/55R17 tires. I lived with that until I had a flat that destroyed the tire, so I replaced it and the most worn of the three remaining tires with a pair of the correct size tires, installed on the rear - the front tires are still the wrong size, but aside from that are perfectly good tires so I plan to leave them on until they need replacement. A block or so after I left the tire shop with my new tires installed, the traction control engaged at ~40mph - oops, I forgot that would happen. Slowed down, turned off the TC, all was good, I just had to remember to turn off the TC every time I started the car before reaching 30-35mph or so. That worked fine for a few weeks, then the ABS light started to intermittently light up. I suspect that was also related to having two different tire sizes on the car, but don't know why it didn't happen right after I had the new tires installed. There may be something else that caused the ABS failure, because sometimes the light would stay on after starting the engine, before the car had moved an inch. when that happened, the ABS failure would disengage the TC, but then if the ABS light went out while driving the car, the TC would instantly engage if the car was going over 40mph. I eliminated that problem by unplugging one of the fuses for the ABS system (the only fuse I could find that didn't affect anything else but the ABS). Now I'm driving a car again with neither ABS nor TC, just like all the other vehicles I ever owned prior to 2002. It's a little more fun now, since I can once again cut donuts on a parking lot after a rain shower without mashing the TC OFF button first, since the ABS and TC are both disabled now.

BTW, putting the correct tires on the rear corrected the speedo problem as it now indicates nearly spot on, just slightly optimistic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
While I do agree most class action lawsuits are frivolous. I do believe that manufacturers can and should provide accurate information. This is the first bike that has had a speedometer issue and honestly I might have bought a different bike. I was debating between the st1300, fjr , or the concours 14. I also looked at a triumph trophy as well but I didn't want to spend the money.

It's just very annoying to me. I try to go with the flow of traffic on the highway. I was always thinking Damm, why is everyone going 90-95mph? I also think that since this is such a well known problem, I would expect the dealer to have informed of the problem.

I don't think owners/buyers of these bikes should have to drop another $100 for an accurate speedometer.

I will hunt for a st1300P speedometer because I don't want to make the conversion in my head.

Thanks for your thkughts

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Krism,
It annoyed me and that's the reason I went to the speedohelaler and gear position indicator. I look at both of those items continuously and on a daily basis. I do a lot do city driving and am continuously up and down on gear changing. Set it up how you like it. That's what I did.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It is no big deal, just know it is off and ride accordingly.
Well, might be difficult if he uses a number of different vehicles, like I do:
- the speedo of my private Toyota estate/combi reads like >15kph/9mph optimistic...
- the speedo of my panel van reads like 12kph/7,5mph optimistic...
(If I'd actually drive those cars by speedometer reading, I would be quite a traffic obstruction...)
- whilst the speedos of both my non-ABS ST1100's are pretty much dead on...

so guess what the regular habit of driving my cars at "12~15kph/7~9mph" above posted *could* cost me on the ST ;-)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
krism71.
The upside is you've been lucky. Optimistic speedos aren't an st1300 thing or a honda thing.
You can get a speedo healer to tweak the speedo (and mess up the odo) iirc cheaper than a PA gauge cluster to fix it.

fwiw the guys that have been reported to be most optimistic (in a flawed study with laughably small data set) made motos before they made cars, not too far from the people wagon guys...

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
Get one of these http://www.bluemonkeymotorsports.com/sh/

Easy install, my speedo is 100% accurate now.
I'd have jumped on this if I had a 1300; don't think it'll work on my 1100. Still bookmarked it; good info.
According to the site, it doesn't mess up the odometer, but several people in this thread have said that it does. I'm confused.

Top Bottom