Spencerized Seat and weight loss.

Bike
ST1300
I bought a barely used ST1300 seat and had it spencerized. It was quite uncomfortable and I didn't know were to even ask about changing it. So I bought another seat and it was OK. Then I lost about 60 lbs. The seat seemed very uncomfortable and my butt seemed bonny. So I decided to try the Spencer again. To my surprise... it was great! So my observation is that weight makes a BIG difference with these seats.

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
I've recently bought the Spencer seat and it is uncomfortable. I thought I just need to get used to it. But I'm going to lose weight. And having read your post, I wonder whether when it happens, I would feel more comfortable.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I've recently bought the Spencer seat and it is uncomfortable. I thought I just need to get used to it. But I'm going to lose weight. And having read your post, I wonder whether when it happens, I would feel more comfortable.

When "Spencer" did my seat, he wanted pictures of me sitting on the bike so he could customize it.

A second-hand "Spencer" may or may not suit you.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
You guys say "the" Spencer seat as if they are all the same.

Aren't they customized for the buyer like RDLs and others?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You guys say "the" Spencer seat as if they are all the same.

Aren't they customized for the buyer like RDLs and others?
It is not a Spencer seat. It is a Spencerized seat, as in it was modified by Spencer.
Yes, you are correct- He takes your seat and customizes it to better suit the rider's needs with his own twist on seat building. I believe (but don't know) that the original owner of the company may have been named Spencer, thus the name.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
It is not a Spencer seat. It is a Spencerized seat, as in it was modified by Spencer.
Yes, you are correct- He takes your seat and customizes it to better suit the rider's needs with his own twist on seat building. I believe (but don't know) that the original owner of the company may have been named Spencer, thus the name.

His name was Frank, going by Spencer, not sure why. He was a one man show and not modding seats anymore

He modded many seats for P bikes and was constantly tweaking his design based on cops' feedbacks. So whatever version you have of the Spencerized Seat will depend on when it was modded.

Besides the customization, there was also a break-in period for the seats. So depending on the "shape" of the PO, the seat may or may not re-break-in to fit the New Owner.

"Spencer" was very generous with the ST-Owners. Ten years after he modded my seat, he upgraded it to his latest material and design for cost of materials only!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My point is you can't judge all Spencerized (or any other non-OEM) seats by trying one Spencerized seat.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

TPadden

Tom Padden
What a silly distinction; guess they are RDLized, Terry Adcockized (deceased), and Seth Laamized seats too...:rofl1:

The only modified seats I know with a new seat pan are Sargent and Corbin if that's the distinction you are trying to make.

Tom

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I'm sure that it would appear to be a silly distinction to a group of people who know absolutely nothing about motorcycles and motorcycle seats. It was written for a group of people on a motorcycle specific forum who are extremely familiar with the concepts of and who know the differences between having an OEM seat modified versus buying a whole new aftermarket seat. As such, the point was definitely that there is no such thing as a Spencer seat, as in you can not buy a Spencer seat as you can a Corbin seat, a Sargent seat, a Top Sellerie Seat, etc..

I suspect, or at least hope, that you knew that however, and are just being silly.

TPadden

Tom Padden
As such, the point was definitely that there is no such thing as a Spencer seat, as in you can not buy a Spencer seat as you can a Corbin seat, a Sargent seat, a Top Sellerie Seat, etc..

I suspect, or at least hope, that you knew that however, and are just being silly.
Using your logic there is no such thing as a RDL seat, a Seth Laam Seat, a Terry Adcock seat, a Mayer seat etc. You are simply wrong as it is a common practice among anyone the least bit knowledgeable with any motorcycle to call any modified seat by the name of the modifier even Spencer. He used the term Spencer seat in his email to me and a simple google search shows you can buy a (used) Spencer seat.

We agree that this whole discussion is way past silly...:rofl1:

Tom

Last edited:
Congrats! How did you do it actually? That is a great result!
I don't know how so many people are missing the point, but this made a lot of sense to me. Conquering a problem requires understanding how it functions! This helped me understand why I have cravings when I cut my calorie intake. I've been obese nearly my whole life, so it makes sense that my brain has let my body become "comfortable," like a routine. Those of you looking for weight loss advice; there's tons of motivational and educational videos and blogs https://betterme.world/articles/sucrаlose-vs-aspartame/. I hope everyone reading this can lose the weight and feel healthier and feel better about themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom