Spontaneous oil filter leak?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I had one of the recalled K&N 204 filters,,, from a recalled batch. I understood the problem was related to the spot welds where the nut is attached to the filter body. Some were porous. I checked my filters (it was on the bike) batch numbers,,, and found it was in the recall. I advised the dealership where I bought the filter,,, so that they could follow up with other customers. I filled out the recall form and sent it to K&N, along with a photo,, via email. A new filter arrived in a week. It was obviously a dangerous situation,,, as a faulty weld could be temporarily sealed by the black paint. Some opine that the spot welds create an unnecessary hazard,,, and it is hard to argue with that,,, cheers,,, CAt'
I contacted k&N as well about my filter leaks. They were apologetic and sent me new filters. I still have the new filters - I won't install them. All my k&N filter leaks happened over about a 4 year period of time.. No recalls on any of them and happened on car and motorcycle filters of different types. All had weld defects. None leaked immediately but took a couple of hundred miles, one about 1200 miles before the leak started. Not worth the risk on a motorcycle to use them. I seriously caution anyone about using them on a motorcycle no matter if you've ever had any problems before. Simply not worth the risk.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I contacted k&N as well about my filter leaks.
Yeah,,, I am in the same boat as Supra,,, having used about 10 K&N-204's, and never had an issue. Even the one that was on the recall list was so near the end of its change cycle,,, that I just let it finish up. Got another new one on the shelf,,, hmmmm,,,, CAt'

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Yeah,,, I am in the same boat as Supra,,, having used about 10 K&N-204's, and never had an issue. Even the one that was on the recall list was so near the end of its change cycle,,, that I just let it finish up. Got another new one on the shelf,,, hmmmm,,,, CAt'
Well the choice is spend around 10 bucks (or less) on another different brand filter, knowing it is not going to spring a leak due to faulty spot welds or install the K & N also knowing it has a chance of spontaneously dumping oil mid corner and killing you......

What will it be?

Top Bottom