Sport Riding Techniques

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I moved away from Southern California in 1990. Been all over ......except for Mullholland Drive. I can only imagine. Don't need to visit it. The sierras have all the challenging twisties a man could ask for ( I can hear Colorado riders mocking me already ). Glad to hear you continue to study/practice riding techniques. I admit, time for me to study some more. I ride alone quite often, so there'll be no one around to pick up the pieces, heh. I leave any ego at home when I ride and try to embrace all the blessings of each and every ride. Riding is quite alluring when you know, there's more to learn and practice. How cool is that. Thanks for sharing the book. I'll have to look into it. Time to jab beemer riders. Yesterday, May 25. Came up to a stop sign with a BMW Adventure rider that just exited the freeway. We both were going to use freeway frontage road. He zipped ( didn't know beemers had it in them ), no problem, cranked on throttle and caught up to him, to notify him his top box was open with key in it! He pulled over, mumbled, smiled and off I went. Probably why I don't have a top box cuz I'd do the same thing......Have fun riding! I am. :)
Just as point of info many top box owners ride with the key in the lock. With the key horizontal the top box is unlocked and the key is trapped in the tumblers. It won't fall out. I do it and my riding buddies of different MC brands do it. At night or at a long stop when traveling the box might be locked and then key comes out. Most of the time there's nothing in the top case worth locking up yet there's need to get in the box without fumbling around for the key.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Just as point of info many top box owners ride with the key in the lock.
Years ago, I had a mobile business and worked out of the trunk, so I sometimes left the key in the lock. More than once did someone hop out of their car and hand me the key through the window.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I'm a Code-ite.

No book will beat a track school experience.

No track school will cover all the things addressed in a good book.

No track school or book will substitute for experience or good judgment.

If you're regularly over-cooking corners on public roads, you're doing it wrong. If it's purely technical, maybe a book or a class will help. But looking for technical solutions to bad judgment is a fool's errand. Be real with yourself.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
A new book arrived in the mailbox.
Sport Riding Techniques, by Nick Ienatsch.

20210522_172728.jpg
This book is the basis for the MSF Advanced RiderCourse / ARC.
Of course, we can't possibly cover the whole book on a Saturday - but advanced topics are introduced, and some are practiced.
What - you thought the MSF only taught Basic Riders?

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I see your 1994 edition and raise you with 1996 :) Wait, does it work that way?

1622240192009.png

Possibly the best thing my younger self found in that book was the concept of the "'red mist'- the term used to describe the state of mind of riders who are determined to achieve some objective - catching the vehicle in front, getting to an incident in the shortest possible time, overtaking another road user - that they are no longer capable of realistically assessing riding risks."

It also put conspicuity up front in my mind, well before anything else.

The target audience of this publication are police officers and first responders heading to somewhere fast but civilians can also experience similar intense drives. I think this may have been one of my first purchases through Amazon in their primordial days. Had to come from England of all places. :)

@Kaiser Swaghelm II please tell us you own an up-to-date copy of this book!

Bike
R1200rt
I'm a Code-ite.

No book will beat a track school experience.

No track school will cover all the things addressed in a good book.

No track school or book will substitute for experience or good judgment.

If you're regularly over-cooking corners on public roads, you're doing it wrong. If it's purely technical, maybe a book or a class will help. But looking for technical solutions to bad judgment is a fool's errand. Be real with yourself.
1622241931854.png

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I own a digital copy sir......
Hows that for u-p-t-o-d-a-t-e :thumb: :potstir1:

The police rider is gonna test me on the 'bible' next Wednesday on my advanced riding test.
Well played young man, well played. :)
Amazon shows a new edition as of Jan 2021. I might grab one of those.

Good luck on your exam!

Top Bottom