ST 1100 ABS II Darkside

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I am not done yet but as I seem to be the first one to tackle the job of modding a GL 1500 wheel to run the Dark Side on an 1100 ABS II, I thought I would share what I've found so far.

The Dan has documented the changes needed for the 1500 wheel. So look at his post for that common information. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?99514-auto-tires-on-ST1100/page6 And this link too http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd501/TheDan1/The Darkside/
Where I had some fun was modding the GL wheel to accept the pulse ring. Given the fact that I work as a mold maker I have access to the shop for my fun.
I had to first mill the GL wheel's flange so the ring would fit. The O.D. was roughly .02 too big. After I got that to fit I dropped my end mill down and milled a flat all the way around the wheel just outside the flange's dia.. Once I had that I could measure where that surface was in relation to the face of the bearing. Since I knew where the ring needed to go in relation to the bearing, I could figure out the length of my 6 spacers that will support the ring in position.
Next I put the ring on the flange and using my edge finder with the 60 Deg pointed end down I found where the clearance holes in the ring were. Drilled and tapped the wheel and moved to the step of bolting the ring to the wheel. I made 6 spacers from 3/8 round brass.
That's when I discovered that the ring is more outboard than I had thought. It no longer is fitted on the flange but sits just a bit above it. No big deal as I had to have the ring on the wheel if only for that short time to know where to drill and tap the mounting holes. I put shims between the flange and the ID of the ring to center it and bolted it on using green lock tite.
/
EDIT: I found that after the brake hanger was moved left .25 I had to remove some of the ribbing on the outside, lower edge. This has to be done to allow the hanger to swing down into it's proper position to get the keeper pin screwed in. I will not post a pic of this as I did it by hand with a Dremel tool and I'm not very proud of the way it looks. It will not be visible so it's no big.
It has been a bit of a PITA to get it done but will be worth it.
I hope this helps answer the questions of how to make it work on the ABS 1100.
Dan's wheel came with all the spacers from the GL. Mine did not so I will need to make another spacer to fill the gap between the brake hanger an the bearing.
In the 4th pic you will see that I still need to remove and remake the steel insert that the axle goes through on the hanger. I will remove the original and make a new one with only a .062 wide flange. To go back to stock I will simply put the original back in. Actually, I made a new "original one" that will slip in and out. Honda makes it a press fit insert but not me. See the last pic.
Now to get a tire!
/
Edit: As Scott mentioned, shoot some clear paint on the freshly milled aluminum surfaces to avoid corrosion.
I also have a tire on the way, so I will update when I have more to share. My wrecked 97 can use the PR3 that isn't worn out yet.

Attachments

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Nice work Mark. Are you going to coat the aluminum that you milled away so it doesn't oxidize?

BTW, I'm a mold maker too. I've got some growing right now in the breadbox... ;)

STOC #
Bigmak - that's an interesting process, but respectfully what is it you are trying to gain, versus using the original wheel?

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Bigmak - that's an interesting process, but respectfully what is it you are trying to gain, versus using the original wheel?
The stock wheel will not work with an available C/T that will fit between the swing arm. 175 is as wide as we can go with the 1100 Swing Arm.
If someone knows of an available 175/60/17 it would be great if you would share.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Nice work Mark. Are you going to coat the aluminum that you milled away so it doesn't oxidize?

BTW, I'm a mold maker too. I've got some growing right now in the breadbox... ;)
I have been thinking only of the mods needed Scott. Thanks for the nudge. I will have to give it a shot of clear at the very least to head that off. Dan rigged up a neat way to paint his wheel that spun it slowly on the axle. Then he put a heat gun in a holder and while spinning the wheel slowly heated it up to cure the paint. Dan has the luxury of doing this stuff in his computer shop while he works. I will have to wait till winter to do the whole wheel.

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have a Turanza EL400-02 on the way Dave. I hope I have good luck with it on the bike. After I ordered it I found some not so glowing reviews on it. But I always take these with a grain unless I know the person. It turns out it was the OEM tire on a car and of coarse, most thought it lacking in one way or another. Some said they would be buying the same tire again. I will just have to see how it likes life on the Dark Side. At least it seams to be readily available.
I have added another step to the mod that needs to be preformed on the the brake hanger. Look at the 1st post if interested in that.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Nice work! I miss the days of being able to make anything I wanted. I worked 10 years as a precision machinist in the tool room of a major precision bearing manufacturer (think aircraft instruments before they were digital; hard drive components; and gimbals for guidance systems). I have lots of ideas I could sure use that equipment for now!!!

Jim

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thanks Jim, it has been fun. There is a down side to having access to machine tools at work tho, I have a hard time not sneaking my G-jobs in on the clock. :) I'm not 100% successful there.:eek::

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
LipSTick now has a Dark Side tar, thanks to Mark and his generosity for the needed spacer pieces.

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Bollocks!
Jiminy Christmas Mark! You didn't tell me it was that drastic! Aren't there any CTs that don't have this kind of involvement? :D
Is it easier without ABS - I don't have ABS (well, I have abs, just there's a tire around my middle protecting them...)
Kent

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
The non ABS is not as involved but still needs the machine work done and spacers made. There have been issues with the ABS not working properly as the tire gets smaller any way so a non ABS is actually a good thing.
I'm not sure it would be a benefit for you Kent as I don't recall your needing multiple rear tires in a season. Longevity is the only real reason to do it. If you want better wet performance you should try a PR2 or PR3 IMO.

Top Bottom