St 1100 ignition problem

bHi. When turning my ignition key the lights on the panel all come on . If I move the key a fraction then the lights go off. Engbutbutbutine cut out on a b. But
BBut

But moving the key

OP
OP
Disconnected my ignition at the plug connection but a single red wire came adrift from somewhere, any ideas please

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Could you send a picture of where the wire came loose? Are you talking about the ignition switch or the Ignition relay?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
From the OP's stuttering first post, it sounds like an ignition switch gone bad, at first, but then the loose wire issue comes up. The switch contacts will wear over time, causing that exact problem of lights all going off, or on, with a tiny movement of the key.

Some clarification and pics would help.

OP
OP
Could you send a picture of where the wire came loose? Are you talking about the ignition switch or the Ignition relay?
Ignition switch. I disconnected the connector block and the red wire came adrift from somewhere. I was thinking of starting the bike up and see what doesn't work..

OP
OP
From the OP's stuttering first post, it sounds like an ignition switch gone bad, at first, but then the loose wire issue comes up. The switch contacts will wear over time, causing that exact problem of lights all going off, or on, with a tiny movement of the key.

Some clarification and pics would help.
I stripped the ignition key assembly , cleaned and greased the contacts. Put it all back together and the key now works fine. Just my loose red cable?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Have a look at the 1100 wiring schematic in the Honda service manual and see if there is a red wire in the area of that connector. Failing having a picture, we are just guessing what you are seeing. I no longer have the manual to check this out.

OP
OP
Have a look at the 1100 wiring schematic in the Honda service manual and see if there is a red wire in the area of that connector. Failing having a picture, we are just guessing what you are seeing. I no longer have the manual to check this out.
Thanks. The bike is ex police 2002. I wonder if it could be an auxiliary wire to?? I intend to start the bike and see what doesn't work. If no joy, then I will remove the air filter complete and take photos. Thanks again

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks. The bike is ex police 2002. I wonder if it could be an auxiliary wire to?? I intend to start the bike and see what doesn't work. If no joy, then I will remove the air filter complete and take photos. Thanks again

AHHHH! There is the likely answer. Police bikes are known to have a bunch of added wiring for their equipment and when it is removed before decommissioning, they often do a botch up job by leaving wiring bits behind.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Assuming it starts then the wire is left over from the botched wire clean up as Bush suggests. If it doesn't start, then there are a few things to check.

Top Bottom