St 1100 screen choice

Bike
st1100
Hi everybody just asking on people's experiences with st1100 screens I am looking at getting taller seen or putting a laminar lip on the one I have .both are about the same price I'm 6'3" and would rather look over the screen than though it .not looking for total wind loss just less of the buffering .thanks for any advice

I'm 6'2" and purchased the MRA Vario+ screen last year. Does what you require in my experience. Money well spent IMHO.

I have one of those on the tall Honda screen but no matter how much I fiddle with it I can't seem to get right .it is better than without it that's for sure .but it's not that wide and been a big lad I stick out the sides so was after something the same width as the screen

Dilemmas.......I'm 5'11" and have a 20 inch windscreen that completely shields me from the wind and gives me a quiet ride. Perfect for cold weather or precipitation. But, the top is halfway through my field of view. The stock windscreen height was perfect for vision, but there is quite a bit of upper body wind exposure and helmet noise. Plus side is my Arctic Cool shirts work well with the lower screen. I switch screens with the seasons. Haven't found a single screen that I like that performs tolerably in both Texas hot and cold weather. That's on my ST1100.
The adjustable screen on my ST1300 is the solution and is adjustable on the fly as conditions change from predawn to warmer afternoons on trips.

Years ago I went in the opposite direction. I realized the tall screen, although it does block bugs, was more of a ‘sail’ on the front of the bike- on the 2000, I use a 9” sport screen and on the 94, I have an 11” opaque screen. Obviously, I can see clearly over both of them and both bikes are more like sport bikes than sport touring. I like this setup much better.

I am 6' 1" and use a Laminar screen with a Laminar Lip. It would be the second option Laminar Windsheild/LIP Combo. You can get it in smoke (my choice) or clear. They make a shorter version that is pretty cool too.
http://www.laminarlip.com/st1100.php

You can adjust the lip portion up and down to create a more custom air flow. I've had it so the air stream goes just above my face shield down to where I can get air in my mesh jacket.

Here the lip is extended up a couple/3 inches above the screen.

DaleST1100.jpg

Here it is even with the screen.

Wagon.jpg

Last edited:
+1 Big E. No competition in my mind it's three screens in one.
Up or down or somewhere in the middle or with the top half completely removed. I'm about your height and look over it on all settings.
You will not regret a MRA Vario in my opinion and it comes in clear or smoke.
I'll see if I've got a picture.
Upt'North.

Years ago I went in the opposite direction. I realized the tall screen, although it does block bugs, was more of a ‘sail’ on the front of the bike- on the 2000, I use a 9” sport screen and on the 94, I have an 11” opaque screen. Obviously, I can see clearly over both of them and both bikes are more like sport bikes than sport touring. I like this setup much better.

How are they in rain? What's the stock height?

Been thinking about a shortrr screen myself.

DSC01768.jpg
This shows that Smoked MRA Vario.
Like I said if you need varying amounts of protection because of weather etc, it can be adjusted easily to suit.
Upt'North.

How are they in rain? What's the stock height?

Been thinking about a shortrr screen myself.

I have to be honest...I don't ride much in the rain, but I use a Neotec on both bikes, so I would assume I'd get a little wet but the Neotec would protect the face. In the cold in SC when I ride, I put a Laminar Lip on the 2000, so at least I have a little upward airflow over my head and never found it uncomfortably cold (plus, I use heated vest and gloves in the cold so that really helps). With the short shields, the bikes seem to handle a little better I would assume because of less sail effect and when it's warm out, that's where the short shield shines. When it's warm, I want to get the air flow for a more comfortable ride. It makes the ST into more of a ‘bagger' style bike.

I believe both of my shields are Clearview brand but I bought them both pre-owned. If you want a few pics of the shields, PM me and I can email some pics of them on the bikes.

Last edited:
I have a Clearview tall shield (23 H x 21 W), the stock shield, and a Givi shield that's in between. I use the tall shield for winter and wet weather, the stock shield if the weather is warm and there will be a minimum of highway riding, and the Givi for spring through fall most of the time. Last weekend I went on a five day trip to the mountains with a good bit of rain expected, and was glad I had the tall shield installed. It's nice to be able to tuck in behind it, but I do have to look through it being 5'11".

For a recommendation, I would say height isn't as important as the distance from the seat to the top of your helmet.

Try sticking you finger above your head to see where you can feel the air moving. The airflow for me is just above my helmet.

If you need just a bit higher air flow, a laminar lip may be the ticket.

6'2" and use a Clearview ST1100 GT X-Large Clear 26x27 .118/ 256 OS1 with Pressure Relief Vents.
I can see just right over the top which is the preferred view.

6'0" and I've got the 22x25 version of the same thing, which works great for me. I get virtually no buffeting. Sitting normally I look right over the top, I can get 'behind' it if I hunker a bit. Bear in mind I've got 4" risers, so sit more 'upright' than with stock risers.

Does anybody know if you can get clear view screens in the UK or Europe as importing from the states costs to much

Give them a call at : 800-798-6089 . They will be able to answer your question, I would think. I think the time difference is about 7 hours.

FYI :

Whether dialing from a mobile phone or landline, this is how to call the US or Canada from Europe:
Dial 00, Europe's international access code, or enter + from any mobile phone.
Dial 1, the country code for the US and Canada.
Dial the phone number, including area code.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom