ST 1300 in the rain?

Hello all,

New guy here, starting to look at STs after riding a CBR F2 for a while.* I'm looking at using the bike as a commuting vehicle (as well as having some fun on longer distance touring rides than are currently fun).* Here in the Pacific NW, rain is a reality half the year, but I'd still like to get as much use as possible out of the bike.* There's certainly weather I won't ride in, but I'm trying to figure out how often that'll be.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can offer some input on how the bike does in the rain.* Of course there's huge variables like tires, quality of gear worn, riding technique etc, but if you could consider all other factors like that being equal across bikes, how practical do you guys find the ST 1300 to be in rainy weather?

* My commute is short, at least the driving portion - it'll be a 10 minute ride, 45 minute break on the ferry, then 15 minute ride.* So it shouldn't be long enough to get real uncomfortable, but I'm interested in how safely the bike handles in the wet.* Also, in these conditions, do you find the ABS to be a significant advantage?* I definitely want it, just trying to decide if it belongs on the "must have" list.

Thanks for any input!

Joe

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST`1300 handles great in the rain. Wind and water protection are quite good and if you don't stop moving at a good speed it's possible to stay almost completely dry in a 15 minute ride.

The brakes are nicely progressive with good feel. I won't touch the ABS thing but the ST has taken care of my bacon for many thousands of wet miles.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
Mine handles fine in the rain, This past summer was one of the rainiest we've had in a while. If I wanted to ride (and I did) I just put my rainsuit in my saddle bag and had it with me.
The weather protection is not bad, 10 minutes in light rain wouldn't be too bad, but real tropical rain requires a rainsuit.
Handling of the motorcycle is pretty well unaffected, you may not want to lean more than 45 degrees with power on. I'm more worried about other vehicles on the roadway.
In this local area, drivers seem to turn off their brains as soon as there's a little water on the road...

RCS

I have ridden over a hundred miles on the highway in a tropical storm. The ST1300 handled excellent. I had absolutely no concern riding in that weather and would do it again.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour

Handling of the motorcycle is pretty well unaffected, you may not want to lean more than 45 degrees with power on. I'm more worried about other vehicles on the roadway.
In this local area, drivers seem to turn off their brains as soon as there's a little water on the road...

Same here. The ST handles great in any weather (I'm currently running Continental tires on the ST and 919) I have the ABS model but can't say I have had it engage... or at least not that I've noticed, which might be a good thing.
I have locked up the tires on the 919 more than once.
The "turn off the brain" happens here too...

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have done close to 400 miles in the rain heavy rain the ST was no issue my rain gear at that time however was inferior, I switched to a KLIM outfit and now don't worry about getting wet.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
I rode with Stan (V8-7) about 800 miles one day in a deluge. The bikes didn't care. I've done thousands of miles in the wet, (I lived in Florida), and the bikes been perfect. I'd recommend Pilot Road 3 or 4's. I put on a set of 3's and rode 80 miles in a gulley washer and was stable as sitting on the center stand.

Sorry, no experience with the a.b.s. You'll love this bike.

:04biker:

Bike
2005 ST1300
I live in the Pacific Northwest as well. I don't purposely go out in the rain but I do get caught in it quite often.

The ST1300 is amazing in my opinion. I have got caught in some pretty heavy rains coming down the Columbia River Gorge.

The beauty of the adjustable windshield is being able to find the sweet spot (just a push of a button) to force the rain over you, combine that with a full face or modular helmet and riding in the rain is simple. Going at a steady speed I have pretty clear vision when its raining.

The fairing really protects your legs as well.

You would be hard pressed to find a better bike to ride in the rain.

Good Luck.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
The bike'll be fine, it's the helmet/shield/visor that's the limiting factor....visors fog up, if you're stop and go not enough breeze to blow the water off the shield and visor....if you think about it it's like driving your car without the wipers on....so if you can maintain the ability to see and the cars don't do really stupid stuff you'll be fine......2cents........ff

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
The Bike does real well in the rain, & for those 15-20 minute commute rides, shouldn't really B tested.
Most major Tire brands, in good shape, will get it done on wet roads. U'r call there.
The question is; How well do U handle the rain?? Practice up, & be ready for it ALL.
You'll love the bike for its ability to handle all kinds of riding conditions - Enjoy.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I think everyone else has said it already....the bike ROCKS !.........now just go buy the one already ! :):)

ToddC

Bike
2010 ST1300
I commute from Tacoma to Seattle 5 days a week rain or shine. Drizzle to down pour. My riding gear usually keeps me dry. I have found that the water that runs down from the tank tends to soak the lap. The bike handles great though. I run PR4s and am happy with them.

Bike
07 ST1300
This is the BEST bike for the rain !! Get a set of decent tires and a Cee Baileys winsheild youll be set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ST 1100 does wonderful in the rain also. I have almost as many wet miles as dry. It's far better than the cruiser I had with full fairing!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Several years ago I attended a Ducati rally in the Smokies with a friend. Ducs Fly South I think it was called. I knew the area better than others and was asked to lead a ride on Saturday. It rained all day and we still rode a spirited pace. The ST is so easy to ride quick in the rain. It helped that I picked and knew the roads but I think no doubt to the fact the ST is in "rain mode" all the time compared to more powerful motorcycles that have a top end hit. The V4's smooth flat torque curve helps manage traction and keep the tire hooked up.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
My ST1300 ABS keeps me a lot dryer than any of my other bikes in the rain. That is not to say that it keeps me dry, but to say that the fairing is very effective. As others have said, its handling in the wet is superb, as long as the rider's skills and road condition variables are taken into consideration.

OP
OP
Hey, thanks everyone. Sounds promising! Yeah I'm assuming good rain gear - can't exactly expect the bike to keep me dry :). The handling is what I was wondering about. I was thinking the smooth power curve I hear about would be an asset. I know my F2's throttle can be a bit twitchy in the rain, especially when it's needing a tune up...

Anyway, good stuff, thanks!

Joe

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I commute year-round in the Seattle area on an 1100. As noted above, with decent gear you'll be good to go. I've never thought the bike was unstable (the jury is out on rider! :-D) and with good tires even the 1100 brakes well enough.

Top Bottom