ST Final Drive

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this? I have a 2000 ST with 75,000 miles on it. It has been hauling around an EZS side car for over 30M miles. I have lubricated the final drive and found no visual damage. On acceleration it sounds like some thing is loose or not connecting properly. Not a great description, sorry. Any thoughts would be appreciated. On my old AirHead BMW,s I had a machinist through Rubber Chicken Racing who would build up the splines and re-machine them to the proper tolerance as OEM parts were not available. I was also wondering if anyone knew of such a service for ST,s as these parts are NA from Honda as far as I can tell. Thanks

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
There is more going on at the back wheel and hub, than just the shaft and pinion bits. Both the rear wheel and the drive spline have bearings that also require inspection / service, especially at that mileage and that age.
Just for giggles, do you have any idea of the service history for this bike?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Check the rubber dampers and aluminum inserts in the rear wheel for wear/looseness.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
It could be the drive shaft spline pinion cup. That is the point where the drive shaft connects to the rear end. Easy to check when the wheel is off just remove the 4 nuts and slide the rear end back and pull the drive shaft out of the pinion cup.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'll take a stab at it...
If yours is a 2000 ST1100A, most of the parts for your rear wheel and driveshaft are still available through RonAyers.com
Number 9 (flange set, final driven) is still available, as well as the rear wheel damper rubber bits Number 1 on the parts fish.
Your U-Joint is also still available
JOINT, YOKE
40200-MY3-003
Retail Price: $185.02
Your Price: $149.86
I would start inspecting stuff, before you start throwing solutions at the problem, which can be very costly, if you don't know what the cause is.
I would also start checking all the bearings as well.

Find the cause of failure, instead of throwing solutions at a problem.

OP
OP
Corvair
Sorry about posting twice. I’m not much good with computers. I’m also not much of a mechanic. I think I’ll take it apart and take it to some one who knows what they’re doing. The answer to the other question is no. I’m the third owner I think. I have been pretty good about normal maintenance but the last time I changed the rear tire I replaced an 0 ring in the hub and greased it with the approved Moly but didn’t know enough to check the stuff mentioned. Thanks for the replies I’ll keep you posted as to the outcome. Thanks Again

Bike
2010 ST1300
Given the number of horror stories here about Honda mechanics making mistakes on these bikes, I would suggest you go to the top of this page, blue band and click on Riding > RAN List >USA. (> = click on). The Rider Assistance Network is a list of owners who will help out in a pinch. You have at least one listing roughly half an hour away. Give a call and take your parts to another owner before you head off to a dealer.

Bike
R1200rt
it it a one time click, clunk or is is a constant noise while acceleration ? For giggles check the heat shields, they crack around the mounting bolts and can make a strange noise at times.

OP
OP
Corvair
It is primarily noticeable in first and second gear uless accelerating very slowly. I tried the address you posted but found no information. at 75 I am a two finger computer guy. I would really like to be able to find that list. Back in the 60,s through the 90,s the Air Head BMW guy,s were unbelievably helpful no matter what your problem. If the group you listed is anything like that it would be a lifesaver . I,m not sure if you can PM on this. sight or if I am allowed to. give you my email address. I really appreciate your effort. Thanks

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
It is primarily noticeable in first and second gear uless accelerating very slowly. I tried the address you posted but found no information. at 75 I am a two finger computer guy. I would really like to be able to find that list. Back in the 60,s through the 90,s the Air Head BMW guy,s were unbelievably helpful no matter what your problem. If the group you listed is anything like that it would be a lifesaver . I,m not sure if you can PM on this. sight or if I am allowed to. give you my email address. I really appreciate your effort. Thanks
You should be able to click the text below and it should link you to the US RAN list.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Before I replaced the rear drive cushions, the rear end would give out a loud bang as the drive fingers hit the ends of the slots.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wanted to ask how someone gets added to the "Ran List"?
Click your cursor on your screen name in the upper right corner of this page (to the left of the envelope symbol) > Account Details. Scroll down and you will find RAN options. Fill out the various sections and there you have it. Any more questions, ask @Mellow

Top Bottom