ST Tip-over

Bike
'07 ST1300
Dropped my ST 1300 one more time today....no injuries and just added a little more scuff to my tip over bars, ....

I had just finished a nice short ride running some errands and was walking by ST backwards into my parking spot at work.

I like to park along the side of a building and also along the side of a 1 yard garbage can, This makes a nice protected corner for my St and it is also shaded most of the day. On the edge of a large parking lot in front of my business. There were cars around but I didn't notice anyone observing my misfortune.

Anyway, I was rolling backward slowly and suddenly something made me come to an abrupt HALT and over she went to the left, it was really SS-LL-OO-WW Motion!! And I did try to hold her with my left leg, but couldn't and had to step back out of the way and BANG over she went. I am glad I was far enought away from the building that my windshield didn't hit the cinder block wall!!!

My MCL hiway driving lights, left mirror housing, left fort everyday driving lights, left saddlebag, NO DAMAGE oh what a relief. My front tip over wing will need a little sanding maybe....

Seems like every time I tip over it's to the LEFT, anybody else have the same percentage of tips to the left- I've tipped left thrice and right once. 3 out of 4 to the left. hhhmmm.

It was a large ROCK that I happened to roll back on in exactly the middle of my back tire, about three inch dia. Needless to say I hurled that damn rock way off.

I've got the lift technique down pretty good now, left hand on the passneger seat grab-rail and right hand on the handlebar, squat low with lower back on the side of the seat. To me the tricky part is turning back around and now pushing the bike on over to the right for a second tip-over!! I cautiously rotate with the bike slightly leaning into me and set the side-stand..

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
that reminds me I need to sweep up my garage area its been getting a lot of slippery debris lately.

OP
OP
moosulkwanman
Bike
'07 ST1300
no, didn't have the side stand down, maybe I should do that,??? But when I hit that rock it actually made my ST rebound and that was what really made me loose balance, the rock stopped me, and the tire pushed back I guess..... I had noticed that rock before and should have cleaned up that area where I park, my negligence.....pretty much of a low probability of rolling back exactly on that damn rock....but it happened and over and down I went...

Bike
ST1300
that reminds me I need to sweep up my garage area its been getting a lot of slippery debris lately.
Good point on sweeping out the garage!!! I almost had my first tip-over this weekend in my garage.

We've had the biggest snowstorm in recorded history here in DC. Needless to say the garage floor is covered with sand picked up from the road and brought in with the snow and ice underneath the vehicles.

Sunday was 50+ degrees and sunny so time to get my wife's and my ST out for a quick ride. Feet were sliding all over the place as I was manuevering the ST around. Finally said enough is enough and got off and SWEPT the entire garage.

Will do it BEFORE I get the bikes out again. Like I said good advice to all.

OP
OP
moosulkwanman
Bike
'07 ST1300
oh yeah,, my garage is open fully on one end and only half enclosed on the other, so I get a lot of wind blown leaves in there and I sweep it OFTEN

nothing like rolling your ST back and stepping on a leaf and your foot slipping out....nice quick adrenaline rush!!! I've learned to keep those feet in close, even if they slip, keep em in close....

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I would agree that you should try and move it with the side stand down. This will pretty much prevent a left side tip over. Also if it does go down on the right side, if you have the side stand down when picking up the bike you don't have to worry so much about going too far over.

With my one tip over it went to the right. I was on the bike, and started to back it up when my foot slipped on sand. Now I have long legs and typically don't have any issues with scooting the bike around while on it. The draw back though is that my knees hurt after a while because of how much bend I have in my knees while having my feet on the pegs. I don't want to lower them as I tend to drag the pegs in the corners now.

OP
OP
moosulkwanman
Bike
'07 ST1300
oh, I was not walking the back anywhere as if standing on one side and pushing.....

I was mounted on the seat, rolling her back into a parking spot after a ride....just rolling back a few few with one leg out on each side walking slow back, but that rock wedged like a chock in just the right spot to bring me to a sudden halt and the ST rebounded causing me to loose it.....to the left , if I had had my sidestand down it wouldn't have fallen...

Bike
2008 ST1300
I just joined and haven't even picked up my ST yet. :biker:
There is a lot of emphesis on tip overs or drops for ST's.
I guess it is more common than other bikes??
Are tip over bars a must for these bikes?

OP
OP
moosulkwanman
Bike
'07 ST1300
well you have stock tip - over wings just under the piston heads,,,,,

but many riders have installed rear tip-over bars to protect their saddlebags and legs, etc.

I have the rear bars installed, and I'm glad they are there, .....

rbs

Bike
08 ST
STOC #
Came in from a short 100m ride Thursday, stoped in front of the garage door so I could get the opener out of the right pockt, opened the door, attempted to ride in and stalled the bike right at the little lip at the door.

The bike and rider (me) went down to the right! Because I was riding in at an angle to get around another car in the driveway, the bike landed on the down hill slope! Now picking one up from level is one thing, picking it up from a downhill slope is another!

I left it in gear reached over and put down the side stand so I wouldn't flip it to the other side then did the classic lift and got her back up.

Now all this is six weeks after lower back surgery, so wasn't too sure I could do it.

I gained experience when riding goldwings, they to can be a bugger.

In all my drops I have never scuffed the rear bag, so have never understood the need for the rear tipover bar. I guess if you were next to a rock or a curb it could happen.

Happy lifting. The bak seened to survive.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
moos -- not that it's any consolation, but I've got a colleague at the office that has now layed his ST down 11 times -- every one of them standing still.
:eek::

He's getting it down to a science! :p:

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Last time I dumped mine it was on the right side. I had just finished watching "Ride Like A Pro" and new how to get her back up. I got my butt down on the seat, used a strap on the rear peg, handle bars in the other hand and easily walked it back up BUT forgot to extend the kickstand on the left side. I got to show my technique all over again.

OP
OP
moosulkwanman
Bike
'07 ST1300
STRAP on the rear peg???

that's a new one?? I use the grab-rail on the seat and handlebar for control mostly it seems, and the power from my legs with lower back pushing against the seat......

hmmmm- strap on the rear peg??? hhmmm interesting.....

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
STRAP on the rear peg???

that's a new one?? I use the grab-rail on the seat and handlebar for control mostly it seems, and the power from my legs with lower back pushing against the seat......

hmmmm- strap on the rear peg??? hhmmm interesting.....
I have a 12" strap with loops on both ends (actually a tie down strap). It allows me to get down lower so I can use my legs to walk up backwards.

Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
I have a 12" strap with loops on both ends (actually a tie down strap). It allows me to get down lower so I can use my legs to walk up backwards.
I put a loop strap on each fork leg so that I don't have to put all that stress on the handle bar.

Can't wait to try it out!

Rod:run1:

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I put a loop strap on each fork leg so that I don't have to put all that stress on the handle bar.

Can't wait to try it out!

Rod:run1:
You're probably better off removing the tip over covers and using the crash bars for tie down points. I was referring to an tie down point to help stabilize the bike when you walk it up after a drop (tip-over)

Bike
'89 Transalp
STOC #
No, I understood. I'm referring to the info that I read somewhere that one MIGHT damage or bend the handle bar by using it to lift the weight of the bike as you back up to it. The process has one gripping the handlebar and another point toward the rear, bending one's legs to do so, and lifting with your legs. Due to the ST's bar configuration and weight (And in my case, riser blocks) one would be applying much greater (potentially bending/breaking) force to our bars than a "regular bike" with "regular" (one piece) bars.

My idea is that when I need to lift it, I can work the strap into such a position that I can apply lift via the strap and fork leg to raise the front portion of the bike. Like I said, "I can't wait to try it!" It MAY NOT work, but I figure it's worth a try. I do understand that the same reasoning would lead one to NOT tie the bike down on a trailer via the bars.

Rod
:old1:

PS: When I dropped mine and got it upright with the side stand down... I went to pick up my helmet and the wind:wind1: (We DO get wind here in La Veta!!!) blew it over again!! OUCH!

Top Bottom