ST vs FJR maintenance

Bike
09 ST1300A
I have been wrestling & reviewing back and forth on buying an ST or an FJR and have also been reading maintenance issues on both bikes on the ST-Owners & some FJR forums. I have done (& enjoy doing) my own maintenance especially all the work done to my 01 Valkyrie, 68k miles.

Yell at me if I'm seeing this incorrectly: but the maintenance & getting at the basics: the air filter, oil, valves adjust, etc. seem much easier on the ST1300 than on the FJR. :eek::

RCS

I can only speak for the ST1300. I'm not a mechanic. With the help of this site and the folks on it I was able to easily do all the basic maintenance on my motorcycle by myself with few specialized tools. All the maintenance is very easy, it only takes time.

I'm referring the the basic maintenance in Chapter 3 of the service manual including valve clearance checks and shim changes along with oil changes, tire changes, air filter changes, fluid flushes, etc.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Valve clearance is easier on the ST1300. The ST needs them checked every 16k while the FJR is every 26k.

Although the book calls for 16k miles intervals, I have checked mine apx. every 32k miles. They haven't really changed in 105k miles.

Ray

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Buy the ST. You drop by the house, I'll help you change the oil. When you get home, you'll still have plenty of life left in the oil.

(If you like, we can sit in a dark, sound proof room and discuss what kind of oil I use and why... you won't often get an offer like that!);)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I've had both, and each bike has it's own procedures. Overall, you'll enjoy maintenance on both, and I personally would choose the bike for different reasons.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I think that the difference lies with the end of the wrench that's being gripped. If you're prone to doing your own maintenance, there's probably not enough difference between the ST and the FJR to really matter all that much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
2007 ST1300
One other little thing i remember on the fjr i had before my ST was that getting to the battery was a royal pain.

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Re: {RaYzerman} ST vs FJR maintenance

I agree RaYzerman that I'd "pick the bike for other reasons" too, maintenance was something I look at cause for me it could be a tie breaker.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
++ on picking a bike for reasons other than maintenance comparisons . way more things to compare ,like or dislike than the latter !

:slv13: MIKE

Bike
2008 ST1300A
Glad you brought this topic up. My brother owns a FJR and need to replace his mirror. How far do you have to strip the tuporware off to gain access. I went on the net looking for him and thought I'd come back to the ST site to see if any of you have had an FJR or still do.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Glad you brought this topic up. My brother owns a FJR and need to replace his mirror. How far do you have to strip the tuporware off to gain access. I went on the net looking for him and thought I'd come back to the ST site to see if any of you have had an FJR or still do.
No tupperware removal. Look in the owner's manual (page 6-8 for '06+) on how to remove the 4 access panels (ABCD) on the dash. A couple of screws, and a pushpin or two each. Once the panels are removed, there should be access to the two mirror bolts. The two panels on the right give you access to the battery and fuse panel. Remove those two first.

sscharf

I went through the same considerations in 2007 between FJR and ST. I wish I could remember the details :D

I would expand the thought to TCO - total cost of ownership.

I thought the ST would have a lower TCO. Tipover wings, 7-year extended warranty, the JFR valve tick, and reports from this group. I figured that I would ride my new ST for 7 years and 175K miles.

The ST is heavier (bad) but seems to be built to last.

So far, so good.

steve

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I seem to recall the FJR has a swingarm bearing service or swingarm bearing repack at 26K. Of course the ST has no regular service for this item.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I seem to recall the FJR has a swingarm bearing service or swingarm bearing repack at 26K. Of course the ST has no regular service for this item.
I actually think it's not a bad idea for any bike. The FJR manual says 16k or 2 yrs., swing arm and steering head, but I think once you've done it you'll have more grease there than they put on at the factory and you could then let it go longer.

The FJR manual also says change the spark plugs at 8K, which is pretty ridiculous by most standards (all the FJR guys agree). As with most items like valve clearance checks (FJR 26k vs ST 16k, we're all doing that, right?), each of us decides what our maintenance schedule is after the warranty is over because we don't have to satisfy anybody but ourselves.

The good news is most stuff on the FJR is easy not requiring removal of tupperware. To change the plugs, raise the tank, remove the insulation and they're all there. You can see the water pump, thermostat, hoses, oil filter, etc. right there on the sides. The ST's engine is rotated so some of that stuff is hidden and covered.... thankfully alternators and clutches last.

I can't help but thinking of the old days when hardly anything was done to bikes except an oil change once a year, a tire or two and some chain lube. We just put gas in them and rode till something broke. Who ever looked at a swing arm? But now they're more sophisticated and we more preventative maintenance. It's a good thing.

But I did talk to this BMW owner once who said on his bike it took 3 hrs. for an oil change and a couple of hundred later......... have to take some of the tupperware off and you break the clips......... K1300GT?

Top Bottom