ST1100 90,000 service

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
My 90,000 mile service on the ST1100:
I have been looking forward to accomplishing this service interval for a while. The main reason is the obvious timing belt change out. The secondary reason is to service and upgrade the bike for another possible 90,000 trouble free miles. Some say I have gone a little overboard with the things I am doing, but peace of mind is worth the extra effort and expense. Any parts replaced that are still serviceable will be shelved and saved for rescuing a stranded 1100 rider or one that has a critical need.
This is what was done during this 90,000 service interval:
? Timing Belt, water pump, idler pulley, tension pulley
? Flushed and cleaned radiator and the rest of the cooling system
? Front wheel bearings
? Front brake pads, flushed front brake fluid
? Flushed clutch master and slave
? Repaired exhaust heat shield (Michael Hoffman really did this) I just repainted it.
? Shimmed valves
? Oil and filter change
? New plugs
? Cleaned pair valves
? Synced the carbs
? Cleaned and lubed the speedo cable
? Lubed throttle cables
? Fork upgrade by ?Traxxion Dynamics?
? New tapered steering bearings
? New rear wheel bearings
? New rear brake pads, flushed rear brake fluid
? New rear shock by ?Penske?
? Cleaned and lubricated shifter linkage
? Cleaned up electrical wires
? Replaced the GPS
? Removed the AM/FM/Weather radio
? All plastic cleaned inside and out before replacing.

I just finished rechecking the steering bearings and the fork alignment after 350 miles. The steering bearings needed to be tightened just a little. All else seemed to be fine.

A couple of lessons learned during this prolonged maintenance procedure were
1) Even though you have removed the tupperware many times... in a case like this
when the bike is going to be in pieces for a while, it may help to label some of the
fasteners and other things... at my age, the memory fades quickly.
2) If you are planning a suspension upgrade, you might want to order the parts before
taking the bike apart. I was not happy waiting an additional two weeks for parts I
mistakenly thought the vendor stocked. (I might add, it was well worth the wait,
because the ride quality was that much better)
After all of this was done, I finally decided to replace my failing streetpilot 2720 with another Garmin. Bigger screen and easier for this old fart to see. The radio was taken off the bike and I picked up a new Cardo G4. This makes life easier as I can converse with the wife, listen to the FM or MP3 and finally answer a phone call if necessary.

The experience was fun while it lasted, but I am happy to have the bike back together and ready for action.:D

Vinny

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Good job vinny. Some may say "overkill" but your peace of mind is priceless. I opted to just "feel" my pump and idler, I hope it does not come back to bite me.
Your mention of the speedo cable is a good thing to do, I will get that done. I'm sitting at 97K and have no idea if it has ever been cleaned.
I'm kind of in the same boat as far as new stuff, new Zumo 660 and Sena headset. I need to get the details worked out so I can use it all now. :)

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I opted to just "feel" my pump and idler, I hope it does not come back to bite me.
The water pump felt good as did the tensioner pulley. The idler had a little axial play.. about 10 to 15 thousandths so it was good to catch that one - don't know how much longer it would have lasted.

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
Hey Vinny,
Sounds like you were very thorough. My '95 has 81K on it and I plan on doing similar work next year when I approach 90K. I'll try to get all the parts on hand well in advance so I can minimize my downtime (the bike is my daily-driver). I also plan on removing the coolant hoses that run down to the oil-filter housing as I believe this was eliminated on later models.
Regards,
Mr. BR
San Jose, CA

Top Bottom