ST1100 ABS-II/CBS, more agile front tire?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
This topic might (totally) depend on your geological riding terrain/location, riding style and preferences... and exclusively relevant for folks who had owned/operated both models/front ends...

I always perceive the ABS-II model with it's 120/70 front tire as less agile, lame leaning into corners, requiring noticeable input to stay banked, whilst showing imprecise yet skittish feedback in straight stretches... making narrow, twisty alpine roads somehow less enjoyable and more work...

So I wonder if there's is a tire that would bring back the agility and steering precision I'm used to on my non-ABS with the 110/80 G547 Exedra?

Currently leaning towards the Bridgestone T32 GT (120/70ZR18 M/C (59W) TL & 160/70ZR17 M/C (73W) TL)

TIA

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Also Fast and free, up the front tire pressure to 40 psi cold. I could see Alpine conditions causing a lower temp and pressure.
They are reluctant to turn with a full tank.
I don't remember a T32 GT for the front being available in that size but it might help.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I always used the BT020 F rated tyres on my 1100s. They were always pretty good and reliable. My first tyres were the exedras, and the BT020s were not available in their early years for the non-ABS bikes. As soon as I was able to fit them I went to the BT020 F rated, and they were a revelation. Very odd feeling for the first mile when I started riding on them - the more rounded profile made it feel as though I was balancing the bike more than before when I was on the straights, but the cornering was always a smooth progression.

This feeling disappeared once I had got used to it, but I distinctly remember the contrast. In those first few weeks of riding the radial 020s rather than the cross-ply Exedras.

The 020 would develop a significant square profile on the rears towards the end of their life, wearing down the centre far earlier than the sides - so there was a period when leaning over demanded a bit more positive input to get over the 'corner'. Nothing to do with riding long straight roads. But a new set in the Alps and Pyrenees for our frequent long touring holidays were superb.

My favourites have been the T3x series of tyres - currently the T32. Predicatbale tyre wear and fun all the way to the wear bars. You need the GT version for the heavy ST1300.

Here's a link to Bridgestones Tyre size table for the T32 - you can check id the tyre is made for your size. It's a pdf file, so check your download folder once you have clicked on it.

Check the suspension, and air pressure. The ST1300 requires 42psi front and rear. I think that the 1100 was different. (36/42 ??) Get your pre-load right where it needs to be, and remember to adjust the damping by adjusting the small slotted screw at the lower end of the suspension unit. It can be accessed therough a small hole in the large footstep bracket on the right hand side. If your bike is rebounding more than once - boing boing boing - then it needs to be set harder. That bouncing produces are reciprocal squash rebound squash rebound behaviour in the rear tyre.

Tired wheel bearings that have developed a tiny bit of play - or the incorrect bearings - can make the steering feel uncomfortable, particularly when leaning over. My very first 1100 had this problem - as an old rider returning to motorcycling after riding with sidecars 20 years ago, this made me very nervous when cornering - yet I couldn't feel any play in the bearings. I eventually thought that I felt something after putting it on the centre stand, supporting the bike with a platform kjack under the sump and tying the handlebars on full right lock. Then grabbing the wheel pushing on the top, puliing on the bottom and vice versa - I thought that I felt a little movement. Still wasn't sure, so I replaced the bearings all round. That solved it.

Also check the the fit of the front wheel. There is a correct procedure to follow. If you don't follow this procedure to the letter, then you can end up with a (dangerous) twitchy front end.
This is becasue it is possible to have everything tight, but the front wheel is able to slide side to side on its axle. Not much, but enough. The reason is that the axles has to pull everything together from the right hand side of the bike. It clamps the bearings and spacers tightly together against the right (brake lever side) fork leg. If you tighten things int he wrong order, then you cannot clamp all of the front wheel parts together, which makes the wheel free to move side to side on the axle.

Watch my animation a few times. I've exaggerated the movement to make it easy to see what is going on. Its created in a high resolution, so looks better full screen. ALso not the picture of the spacers - which many seem to get the wrong way round (easy to do) or on the wrong sides (not so easy, but it doesn't stop it from happening).

(1) Article [13] - ST1300 - Maintenance - Front & Rear Wheel Install and Front Axle Animation | ST1300 Articles | ST-Owners.com

I know this thread is about the 1100 and my link points to info about the 1300. The detail is a bit different. The priciple is the same.

Last edited:
Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
Tire profiles can play a big role in how confident a tire rolls over into a corner. I ride a 1994 Honda ST1100 that now has 49000. When I bought the bike
I mounted a set Dunlops Sportmax Roadsmart IV. Tires wore like iron but the front tire started scalping after 3,000 making the bike less confident to deep into corners. Over the winter I installed the Traxxion cartridge suspension kit as well as a Penske 8975 series rear shock. Prior to my mid-summer trip (4900 miles in 7 days) I mounted a set of Michelins GT6 on the front and GT5 on the rear. Installing the Michelins changed the handling characteristics immensely. Was able to put the bike through paces over the Beartooth, Big Horn and Selkirk Mtns with no hesitation banking the bike deep into the cornes. I also have to state these tires provided a tremendous amount of confidence even huge summer monsoon down pours experience in the northern Mtn states. Some of the improved handling could be attributed to the suspension work but you got to have tires as well. I do run 40psi on the front and 42psi on the rear. At the end of this riding season the Michelin show no signs of scalping on the front and likely to get another riding season out of them. I like them so much I have already bought to full sets for the future.

All the above contributes to fantastic handling but the mechanics of the bike (swing arm bushing, head race bearing, fork seals, wheel bearings etc.) all have to be well maintained.

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
I always perceive the ABS-II model with it's 120/70 front tire as less agile, lame leaning into corners, requiring noticeable input to stay banked, whilst showing imprecise yet skittish feedback in straight stretches... making narrow, twisty alpine roads somehow less enjoyable and more work...
How dare you ! But what do I know ?- one thing - a lot better than the 250L with knobies.

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
One day... I'm a lazy rider . I think my ST11 rides on rails (BS T31 F&R). But then again my last bike was a 1983 HD Electra . Hang on Honey !

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Tire profiles can play a big role in how confident a tire rolls over into a corner. I ride a 1994 Honda ST1100 that now has 49000. When I bought the bike
I mounted a set Dunlops Sportmax Roadsmart IV. Tires wore like iron but the front tire started scalping after 3,000 making the bike less confident to deep into corners. Over the winter I installed the Traxxion cartridge suspension kit as well as a Penske 8975 series rear shock. Prior to my mid-summer trip (4900 miles in 7 days) I mounted a set of Michelins GT6 on the front and GT5 on the rear. Installing the Michelins changed the handling characteristics immensely. Was able to put the bike through paces over the Beartooth, Big Horn and Selkirk Mtns with no hesitation banking the bike deep into the cornes. I also have to state these tires provided a tremendous amount of confidence even huge summer monsoon down pours experience in the northern Mtn states. Some of the improved handling could be attributed to the suspension work but you got to have tires as well. I do run 40psi on the front and 42psi on the rear. At the end of this riding season the Michelin show no signs of scalping on the front and likely to get another riding season out of them. I like them so much I have already bought to full sets for the future.

All the above contributes to fantastic handling but the mechanics of the bike (swing arm bushing, head race bearing, fork seals, wheel bearings etc.) all have to be well maintained.
What tire sizes did you use for the Michelle GT5 and GT6?

Top Bottom