ST1100 Alternator Modification on 1990 model

Bike
ST 1100 1990
I`m in New Zealand and rolled to a stop on the road side the other day with a flat battery.( early model no Volt gauge ) I tested the phase wires as per post on this site and have no reading on two wires. The mileage is 140,000 miles. So it would seem I need to do the up grade 28 amp to 40 amp model. My problem is that I can only get the shaft (13411-MAJ-G20 )and Bearing (91004-MT3-003 ) from Honda Japan and not the adapter plate /base plate (11202-MAJ-G20 ) to fit the new Alternator. Does anyone have a Plate for sale? or is it possible that someone would have one that they could give me the measurements from as it looks like I may have to try and make one?
The alternators are still available from a number of sites and although the bike is 30 yrs old now theirs still a lot of riding left to be still be had in it.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I have an entire used alt with mounting plate on a spare engine I bought a few years back. Yours for $200 and shipping.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Bummer, Kelvin. Here in North America there have not been any reports of the base plate not being available. Over the last few years there have occasionally been some “back ordered” delays getting one or the other of the 40amper upgrade parts, BUT no “discontinued/no longer available” reports by upgraders.

Recheck with your local Honda Dealer. If true for your market, maybe someone in another country can help. Otherwise, salvage would be the next option. Just ask for the entire Alternator Shaft Assembly (assembled with split gears, shaft, bearing, base plate. etc). BTW, there is now an aftermarket (Chinese) alternator unit (~$140USD).

Please keep us posted. BTW, is the Aussie ST1100/1300 web forum still extant?

Edit: found it: http://www.ozstoc.com/index.php

Good Luck,

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 1990
Bummer, Kelvin. Here in North America there have not been any reports of the base plate not being available. Over the last few years there have occasionally been some “back ordered” delays getting one or the other of the 40amper upgrade parts, BUT no “discontinued/no longer available” reports by upgraders.

Recheck with your local Honda Dealer. If true for your market, maybe someone in another country can help. Otherwise, salvage would be the next option. Just ask for the entire Alternator Shaft Assembly (assembled with split gears, shaft, bearing, base plate. etc). BTW, there is now an aftermarket (Chinese) alternator unit (~$140USD).

Please keep us posted. BTW, is the Aussie ST1100/1300 web forum still extant?

Edit: found it: http://www.ozstoc.com/index.php

Good Luck,

John
Hi John thanks for the heads up on the Aussie forum. I found a post dated Feb 2020 so its still going but most of the stuff I looked at was 5-6 years old.
On the Plate NZ Honda had to go back to Japan and they came back with the item is no longer available. I quest that at 30yrs old they would rather sell me a newer bike?

Thanks K
I have an entire used alt with mounting plate on a spare engine I bought a few years back. Yours for $200 and shipping.
Hi I`m thinking about your offer, The NZ $ is so weak against the US $ its only worth 0.60cents US. My son travels to Pittsburgh for his work and lives in London but will be here in NZ in July so maybe he could bring it? I`m away for the weekend so will contact again next week.
Cheers Kelvin
elvin

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
On the Plate NZ Honda had to go back to Japan and they came back with the item is no longer available.
Oh my... that’s pretty significant news. I’ll start a new thread on the forums if I can confirm this showstopper for all markets.
I quess that at 30yrs old they would rather sell me a newer bike?
Well... the last model year was 2003, if you count the authority versions.

The OZSTOC folks might be able to help you find a salvage unit.

Some folks mistakenly got a salvage alternator but didn’t realize they also needed the base plate and shaft from the alt shaft assy, then later just order those parts new from Honda. So... there should be some salvage alt shaft assemblies available out there. Just thinking out loud.

Edit: maybe try the online Honda parts site, David Silver Spares, in the UK....

John

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
On the Plate NZ Honda had to go back to Japan and they came back with the item is no longer available.
FYI FWIW - I just heard from an STrider here in the USA doing an alt upgrade. He ordered and received a base plate through Partzilla without any problems. So this part is apparently still available in this market.

I don’t know if they ship to New Zealand but may, as may other online sources.

Please keep us poSTed, Kelvin.

John

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 1990
FYI FWIW - I just heard from an STrider here in the USA doing an alt upgrade. He ordered and received a base plate through Partzilla without any problems. So this part is apparently still available in this market.

I don’t know if they ship to New Zealand but may, as may other online sources.

Please keep us poSTed, Kelvin.

John
John I have purchased the later alternator with drive gear from a bike dismantlement so are stored for parts but need to check out the Red plug mod and see if I need it? I have borrowed tools to get the swing arm pivot out,Purchased a 60 amp fuse assy and can make the new wiring set up from items I already have.
It looks straight forward but they never are, I will know shortly.I will make a Simpson Pin. ( great Idea )
Is there anything else I should know or look out for?
Cheers Kelvin

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
It looks straight forward but they never are, I will know shortly.I will make a Simpson Pin. ( great Idea )
Is there anything else I should know or look out for?
Good news, Kelvin. “Simpson”... who is that? The “Lewis-Pin” was originated, created and perfected by my friend Jon Lewis, STOC 905, a long time ago. If you haven’t already, look here and read and view everything linked and linked throughout all the content: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=942

Please keep us poSTed. Good luck!

John

OP
OP
Bike
ST 1100 1990
Hi John
Sorry Simpson was a product of me answering emails late at night, my mistake. I have made a Lewis pin using steel fishing trace and all things going to plan I expect to be using it tomorrow.
I have found some extra work ( Not to be unexpected 30 yrs old ) with some surface rust on the swing arm that will need attention and painting before I replace it.The bike has lived in areas that don`t use salt on the roads and I think in NZ they only use grit on the roads in the winter. I have yet to make up the new wiring harness but do have the new 60 amp Fuse. Also need to get the moly grease, but putting it back together completely is some way off yet. I need to fit a volt meter also.
Interesting the wiring coming out of the 28 amp Alternator has oil around them so I wonder if its full of oil and that`s what done it in? will know tomorrow.
Cheers Kelvin

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The 28 amp alternator is oil cooled. The fact that the wires coming out of the alternator are covered in oil more than likely is a result of the oil seal failing. The oil leaking is one of the factors in leading to the alternator failing.
You will have better electrical capacity with the new air cooled 40 amp alternator. Good luck with the upgrade

Top Bottom