ST1100 Avon Storm 2 Ultra rear issues

Bike
'93 ST1100
See many threads about Storm 2 Ultra on the ST1300, but few discussing the tire on the ST1100.

On my '93 ST1100, after only 6500 miles, the rear Ultra is nearly shot due to extreme cupping.

Previous 2 rear original Storms lasted 12,000+ each, and could have went more, but changed before long trip. Both of the original Storm rears as well as the Storm 2 Ultra, all ran the same way, on same roads, with same loads (mainly 2-up 400-450lbs loaded) and same rear PSI of 40-42. Everything done identical.

The front Storm 2 Ultra still looks like brand new, with no noticeable wear patterns at all after 6500 miles. It is perfect. Original Storm fronts lasted more than 20,000 miles.

EDIT: Remembered one difference. All prior Storms had RideOn added (plus normal balancing), but with these Ultra's, I only used RideOn in the front tire (also did balance both). I doubt it would make that much difference in wear?

Now am looking for replacements, but reading threads here and looks like I might as well stick with the Ultra's, but perhaps raise pressure to 45psi? Maybe try one more rear Ultra at 45psi before switching the pair?

My needs are a little different than average rider here.
#1 is tropical storm rain and wind grip, which the Storms excel at.
#2 is very long life.

PR2 seems like another possibility, but rear not available in exact size 160/70ZR17, plus it might not be any better.

Any thoughts on replacements for my normal heavy 2-up loads and rain/wind usage?
Thanks

Photos of wear attached (click for larger photos).

Attachments

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I'm 3-3500K into my first Storm 2 Ultra and keeping a close eye also. So far, no issues to report. I usually run 40 in it. I don't know if I would up the pressure to 45; maybe 43-44??

Like you, I'm looking for other options but I really like the way the Avons have performed, except for mileage...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've pretty much given up on the Avon Storm Ultra 2s on my ST1100 after the rear went to toast in less than 5,000 miles. Right now I am running BT023s on one of my ST1100s and plan on giving the new Z6s a shot on the next one that needs tires. It seems that the more the tire company 'improves' their tires, the less mileage we get out of them. BTW, I usually run 36 in the front and 42 in the rear.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I have 8300 on my Avon Storm 2, with about another 1000 before it comes off. Best milage I have gotten from a rear tire on my ST1300. My last Avon Storm 2, I got 6500 But alot of that riding was in Texas at high speed on Chip Seal roads. Here in Colorado I have noticed that I have more of the outer edges worn off. :DWhen in Texas, my tires got squared off very fast.:( I too am wondering which tire I will go with next. Maybe the PR2s or PR3s. How in the world do you get 12k out of a rear tire? Ride 55 mph all the time?:)

PS, I run 42 psi front and rear.

Bike
99 ST1100
I'm liking the Metzeler Z6 Interacts on my ST1100. They handle well but I haven't had them on long enough to predict the wear I'll be getting out of them.

OP
OP
RobsTV
Bike
'93 ST1100
Thanks for the suggestions so far, but keep in mind my #1 priority is wet/windy traction at speed.
(and that it is the ST1100, which is a totally different Storm than the one available in ST1300 sizes)

We frequently get stuck in downpours that have us riding on a straight rode, yet still leaned over 45 degrees due to the intense winds, and the Storms grip like it is a dry sunny day. No fear riding along at 60-70 like that on the ST, while cars have pulled off the road to wait for it to clear up.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
It would be worth sending the tyre back under complaint, but you ought to check your rear shock and bearings as I have seen that wear caused by a dying shocker or incorrect setting causing a tramp at the rear wheel.....
As you say the pressures have been maintained then that would be out of the equation for that pattern, although in abnormal circumstances, low pressure can contribute to the same wear pattern.

I do wish I could get some of the mileages you guys over there get....... on my original 1100 I got 4500 miles on the front and 5000 miles on the rear BT020's. Switching to Avon Storms raised that to 7000 on the front and around 5500 on the rear.
On my current 1100 I got 6390 miles and both front and rear were, erm, worn out..... 3000 of that was with the PO.
I hope to better that on the Ultra currently on the front and the Storm Mk1 on the rear. I don't hold too great a hope on getting better than 6000 on the rear, but hope to better the front mileage.

I think our roads around here must be more abrasive, that and erm... my gentle use of the power delivery of the ST.....

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I have ~5k on my Ultra II's... they are starting to do the flat spot on the rear tire... haven't had the chance to take the Ninja ST into a twisty afternoon for a while to round them off.

I have a set of Angel ST's waiting to be mounted... then I'll try a set of the new PR III's :)

OP
OP
RobsTV
Bike
'93 ST1100
Looks like PR2's are a bad choice for me now for a couple reasons.

1st, not the exact size, and 2nd, along with the size thinking I see they make a "B" version of the tire in yet another size, that is specifically designed for loaded or 2-up riding. I take that to mean that their other non "B" tires and sizes are not well suited for loaded or 2-up riding.

From TwoBrothers site:
"180/55 ZR 17 rear also available in a 'B' version, specifically designed for loaded sport touring or riding two-up"

That "B" version probably comes closer to the heavy load rating the ST1100 Storm size has always had.?.

Seeing others getting around 6500 or less on a rear makes me think I should just stick with another Ultra and bump up the tire pressure a bit to hopefully get a little more out of the next one. Looks like a common thing to do with these in BMW forums for the LT.

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
I was wondering if I was the only one running an Avon Storm Ultra II with higher profile '160/70' on an ST1300, but 'Blue by you' has done the same as I have. Gives better ground clearance, more accurate speedo and quicker steering than the manufacturer recommended '170/60'. Downside is that the centre stand only just lifts the wheels and I have added an extra block onto the end of the side stand to compensate for the extra height.
Rear and front doing fine at 7500 miles and I reckon they would last to 10,000, but I will replace in the next month for new ones shortly for the 2011 riding season.

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
The storm 2s Are a good tire but i would not ever use them again. I had two flats due to pin holes ..The storm 2s are not recommened for the st1300 and the 11for some reason wheres them well....You may have luck with them and the price maybe good but if you call avon and asked there rep about the tire and your bike ..they will tell you that the st1300 is not a bike that they would put that tire on.....Please dont use that tire...gents.....

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Maybe the PR2's or PR3's. How in the world do you get 12k out of a rear tire? Ride 55 mph all the time?:)

PS, I run 42 psi front and rear.
Chuck - I am on my 3rd set of PR II's. 1st two went 10k, this last set I got 12k and I do not ride 55, like the song. Lots of interstate miles getting to CO and and back 3 runs to Casey, IL on this last set. The front tire is in need of changing out, the rear can go a few more miles but the left side is pretty worn and not worth pushing it seeing how I need a front and it is not riding season here. I will be starting out the new year on new rubber. Holding out for the new III's if the fronts become available before I feel the need to get a set on to go ride. Had my front rim repaired this winter so it is tarless. I am not weak wristed, nor do I ride on the edge all the time. Some get more and some get less, too many variables to say why. Just adding my experience with the Pilot Roads.

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
The storm 2s are not recommened for the st1300 and the 11for some reason wheres them well....
The reason that the 1100 wears them well (I believe), is that the 160/70-17 for the 1100 has a load rating of 79V and if you look closely at the asterisk - *Reinforced, whereas the remaining tires are not. Storm 2 Ultra specs

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Reinforced with regard to tyres only refers to the fact that there is a reinforcing langette, or strip, inside the tyre at the bead area to enable it to better resist flexing of the bead area under load.
It does nothing for the tread whatsoever and has no effect on tyre life at all. It only allows a slightly better load rating as evidenced by the 79 in the spec. as opposed to other tyres having anywhere from a 69 to a 72 in similar sizes.
Notice however that the speed rating is reduced slightly to a V from a W.

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
Guys the info you produced is cool. Ill say that after two blow outs with the same tire. with the same pin holes in the edge of the tires in one of the rain grooves .
I had had enough warning. I could no longer trust avons ..Now some of you guys have had great luck with them and i also had a goord run with them on my st11...If i had my 11 still i would buy them again. But on the 13 thats another issue .

Bike
99 ST1100
refers to the fact that there is a reinforcing langette, or strip, inside the tyre at the bead area to enable it to better resist flexing of the bead area under load.
It does nothing for the tread whatsoever and has no effect on tyre life at all.
Not sure that's completely true. I would think that by resisting flex under load the tires would run cooler and therefore last longer.

Please note the "think" above. I don't "know."

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
The tyre doesn't really flex any less, it is simply reinforced at the bead area to strengthen it.

I used to work for Michelin some years ago and this is, as it were, from the horse's mouth.... I said horse... not an offshoot from a donkey....

Reinforcing is sometimes used in reference to the "cap" ply of a tyre, which strengthens the area under the tread, but this is not what the reference to "reinforced" means in this case.
This is shown clearly by the additional load capacity of the tyre in this case.

OP
OP
RobsTV
Bike
'93 ST1100
Note that also these reinforced tires have more plys than the non-reinforced version, so in this case, it is not simply stronger bead area. These other areas of reinforcement (more plys) will affect flex.

Correction. I think. Not sure about these Storm 2 Ultra's.

Original Storms were tread = 3 Rayon + 1 Aramid, and sidewall = 3 Rayon. These were more plys than non-reinforced sizes.

The Ultra reinforced size is tread 2 Rayon + 1 Steel, and sidewall 2 Rayon.
Both reinforced versions same 79V load rating

Perhaps someone with the ST1300 size (= non-reinforced) could list the plys?

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I have gone away and had another look and think about this tyre discussion.

Technically, in construction, my original post is still correct.

If during construction you add more sidewall or tread bracing plies, this is not "reinforcing", this is a different construction and hence technically a different tyre.

Calling these "reinforced" tyres is technically incorrect from a a construction or manufacturing viewpoint. It would be more correct to call them "extra load" tyres.
I stand by my original post regarding reinforced tyres and why they are called this, because it is technically correct.

There is a trend in tyre manufacturing to build tyres to satisfy a vehicle manufacturers apparent or actual requirement.

Calling these tyres reinforced would be like calling the ST1300 a reinforced ST1100..... it's the same bike, just changed a little bit by putting a bit more beef in the engine...... no, it's a different bike entirely. It may "look" similar, but the frame is different and so on. I hope you get my point.

You can disagree with me if you like, but if you read carefully what I am saying you will, as ACL would have said, "get it".

Top Bottom