ST1100 Avon Storm 2 Ultra rear issues

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I have gone away and had another look and think about this tyre discussion.

Technically, in construction, my original post is still correct.

If during construction you add more sidewall or tread bracing plies, this is not "reinforcing", this is a different construction and hence technically a different tyre.

Calling these "reinforced" tyres is technically incorrect from a a construction or manufacturing viewpoint. It would be more correct to call them "extra load" tyres.
I stand by my original post regarding reinforced tyres and why they are called this, because it is technically correct.

There is a trend in tyre manufacturing to build tyres to satisfy a vehicle manufacturers apparent or actual requirement.

Calling these tyres reinforced would be like calling the ST1300 a reinforced ST1100..... it's the same bike, just changed a little bit by putting a bit more beef in the engine...... no, it's a different bike entirely. It may "look" similar, but the frame is different and so on. I hope you get my point.

You can disagree with me if you like, but if you read carefully what I am saying you will, as ACL would have said, "get it".
So, can we all agree then that the 160/70-17 which is "reinforced" is OK for the ST1100 because it is a different tire with a higher load rating (79V), as opposed to the 170/60-17 which is not approved for the ST1300?

I ask because when I need a new set of tires this summer, the Avons are one of the choices available.

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I had two flats due to pin holes ..
That is interesting. I guess its been about 3 or 4 years ago I discovered air leaking in 3 or 4 places in the tiniest of holes on one of the original Storms I had on the rear of my ST11. I contacted Avon about these findings and expressed my concern about air that must be leaking through the carcass because these were not punctures. The rep I spoke with at the time seemed to think that this was an anomoly of some sort and really not of much concern. Granted, the tire was pretty worn when I discovered this but none the less the fact that I was on the road about 700 miles from home was pretty unsettling when I discovered the leaks. I have been running the Storm 2's since that set of Storms and really havent had any issues with them other than I wish I could get more mileage out of them but this may be my last set of Avons considering my previous experience and the experiences that are coming to light here.

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
I did not know they had an issue back in the 90s..If i had known that i would have never bought any of the tires....

The 160/70 Avon rear also goes on the BMW LT1200, which is a substantially heavier bike, so I suppose Avon did not want to make too many variations of an orphan tyre size.

Bike
1991 ST1100 Blk
I just put Avon Storm 2 Ultras on my "91 ST1100 and have a little over 2000 miles on them. So far no strange wear patterns. They made the bike handle MUCH better. I had Dunlops (? model) before and the Ultras made a world of difference in the bikes handling. The bike now rolls into a corner effortlessly, before, it needed a nice dose of countersteering to get banked over. I love the way the bike handles now. I hope they hold up.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I am on my third set of Avons and love them all except the shake at 40-45mph. Which I know some bikes get it and some bikes don't. I am running 42psi in rear and usually 38-39psi in front. I get two rear tires to one front tire. I am getting about 8000 miles in the rear. In the rain, they are excellent and handle great on the dry. I am probably going to need a set before Moonshine and will probably put them back on again unless something else comes up that has just as good wet handling as dry. Mine also starts the cupping, but not until near the end of there life.

Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
I went with a set of Avon Ultra IIs in August. With less than 2k miles, I have some very bad cupping and it looks like part of the tire is coming apart. This is more evident on the rear tire. I ran three sets of the PR2s getting over 12k miles on them and good handling. I am ditching the Avons and getting another set of PR2s. Hopefully, Tim Keel can get them to me before this weekend so I can get them mounted before leaving for Moonshine. I was thinking of trying different sets of tires to see how they are for myself, but want to return to what I have had success with for now.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
How in the world do you get 12k out of a rear tire? Ride 55 mph all the time?:)

PS, I run 42 psi front and rear.
I got 12 out my last set of PR 2's. I do not drive 55. The front was worn more than the rear, but the rear was ready for a change on the left side of the tire. Center section and right half still had many miles to go. This is the secn=ond rear that showed way more wear on the left half. Put my 3rd set of 2's on. Next set will be the 3's, unless those that get them have issues with them. I too run 42 front and rear.

OP
OP
RobsTV
Bike
'93 ST1100
After hitting about 8000 miles, ended up replacing the Storm 2 Ultra's with BT023's.
Hoping I get better 2-up results than others posted, as rear might not be up to the heavy load.

This also cured another Avon front tire 45mph wobble.
Had the wobble with original Storm front when first mounted, replaced under warranty and fine. Before warranty tire was installed, replaced steering head bearings and fork springs. No help. This Storm 2 Ultra was fine for the first 1000 miles, then the wobble started. Thought it was caused by the rear wearing oddly, as front still looks like new, now after 8000 miles. Mounted new BT023 rear in place of Storm 2 Ultra, test rode, wobble still there, replaced front Storm 2 Ultra, wobble gone.

Looks like I am another that has given up on the newer version of the Avon's...
While I did have wobble on original, after warranty it was fine and front lasted 22,000 while rear lasted 12,000 miles. Old 12,000 mile rear still looked twice as good as the Storm 2 Ultra did after 8000 miles.
Sucks now.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Yeah... I don't think I'll be going back to the ASUII's. I notice a nice bumpity bumpity bump at low speeds coming from the front tire... slight wobble at high speeds... they really seem to transfer the effects of slabitis to the handling of the bike worse than other tires I've used... rain groves are a real treat at this stage of tire life too. They are a great sticky tire when they are in decent shape, but once they pass that line, really seem to have issues. After all is said and done, I'll get ~ 8k out of these.

I liked the PR2's, but the rear tire seemed a bit squishy... sidewalls to flexy(?)... in uneven rough surfaces going thru twisties or tight stuff. They also didn't seem to warm up in cold weather like the ASUII's... but at least they wouldn't give you the effects of slabitis like the ASUII's did.

My Pirelli Angel ST's will probably go on this or next weekend. I'm looking forward to trying these out. I'd love to run thru some mud or dirt just to see the little angel tread mark :) The PR3's will be my next set of rubber... hopefully they will live up to the hype... and not have the PR2's squishy feeling I had, maybe they will be a good tire for cooler temps too.

Bike
1991 ST1100 Blk
I now have 3700 miles on the Avon Ultra Storm 2's on my ST1100. I ride almost exclusively twisty roads, so my wear pattern is more on the sides than the middle. The Rear tire looks great although it does have a slight rise where the dual compound is (middle of the tire). I also get a slight wobble at around 45mph mostly on left turns. The front will definitely wear out before the rear. I think I will be lucky to get 5000 miles out of the front. Overall, I like the tires.

Top Bottom