ST1100 clutch "cable"

Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
Has anyone replaced their clutch hose "cable" I'm wondering if this isn't so weak now that it's not a factor in my clutch fade in stop and go use?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Probably time for a clutch bleed and flush. How often do you do this for the clutch? If the bushing is ok, a flush and refill does not cure the problem, and you have not been diligent in changing the fluid every couple of years, you might need a new slave cylinder. Your bike is 32 years old - approaching middle age.

Bike
VStrom 650
I agree an old buggered clutch hose is not a good idea......but......
How would that show itself just in "stop and go"?
Upt.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Has anyone replaced their clutch hose "cable" I'm wondering if this isn't so weak now that it's not a factor in my clutch fade in stop and go use?
What do you mean by fade? As it gets hotter, does the free play disappear and the clutch starts to slip, or does the free play grow until the clutch won't disengage and the engine stalls?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Those OEM hoses are quite rigid... rather suspect maintenance error/lack of... color of the brake fluid in the reservoir glass gives a clue...
Replace fluids annually (at least every two years as mandatory by law), inspect/clean/overhaul MC and receiver like every 2~3 years saves grievance while down the road...
Same with forks, cooling system, etc...

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Mine was acting up in a similar manner. Clutch master cylinder rebuild and full flush fixed it right up. Easy and cheap thing to try first!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Replaced mine with stainless steel years ago
Bling-Bling doesn't relieve you from proper standard maintenance procedures... ;)
Had folks bragging over their cool SS lines, while you still could rather easily pull the brake lever all the way to the handlebar, brake performance sucked also due to gummed up MC's, stuck caliper pistons paired with bad flush/fluid replacing technique...
I then invited one to sense the pressure point on my ST's front brakes with the 'ol "oh so inferior" OEM lines... he wouldn't talk to me again ever since... :biggrin:
Knowledge, skills and motivation to do a job right, that's the crux of the matter...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I agree with you, Martin. With proper maintenance the OEM lines are more than sufficient. I am glad I did the brake lines though with the age of my ST at the time. The clutch line was part of the group buy package and a “just because I could” item.

John

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I am glad I did the brake lines though with the age of my ST at the time.
No option for me (and possible other nationalities) over legal issues...
Wouldn't pass the annual MOT, could have my license plate confiscated by an overzealous LEO and could loose insurance cover in case of an accident (regardless if I was at fault or the other party)...
And FWIW: the OEM lines are steel mesh/enforced (ever tried to cut one apart? ;)), they're only covered with a tick, cast on rubber layer...

OP
OP
ghockey72
Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
What do you mean by fade? As it gets hotter, does the free play disappear and the clutch starts to slip, or does the free play grow until the clutch won't disengage and the engine stalls?
As it gets hot it doesn't engage or allow clutch to "work" . I've had the system flushed and bled 2 times at Honda dealer and did master cy rebuild to no avail. One video I saw thr guys 1100 clutch hose down near the slave area was all stretched out leading to lack of pressure in the line once it heated up. Seemed like next cheaper fix before replacing slave

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Mine turned into all free-play when it got hot, so it wouldn't disengage, causing stalling.

Only cooling off allowed normal function to return, but with no other action on my part.

Flushing the system thrice with a vacuum pump at the bottom made a huge difference.

I suggest attention to one major part you didn't mention addressing: the slave cylinder.

OP
OP
ghockey72
Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
Update, had stainless line installed at Honda dealer and fixed so far so good...feels stronger resistance than ever before. Also had master rebuild earlier to see if that worked but had same problem...in this case changing hydraulic clutch hose seems to have worked

OP
OP
ghockey72
Bike
1991 Honda ST 1100
I agree an old buggered clutch hose is not a good idea......but......
How would that show itself just in "stop and go"?
Upt.
my thought was it heats up in stop and go and hose allowed fluid to "bleed" around within the hose, the braided stainless seems rock solid. Much firmer.

Top Bottom