ST1100 Clutch drag after timing belt change & instant gasket.

Bike
Yamaha YZF1000
Help!
I changed my timing belt and forgot to order a clutch cover gasket. I used some instant gasket which sealed the housing up fine but....having put everything back the clutch drags and hard to find neutral.
The clutch lever feels different whereas before there was a biting point halfway through the travel, now right at the end of the lever travel....
Would it be the difference in thickness of paper gasket and instant gasket be enough to cause this...??? Have I just given myself the answer???
I can't think this is right though as otherwise, with the instant gasket being thinner (?) the biting point would be nearer the start of travel.....???
I really don't want to tear down the bike again without someone else's input.
Hopefully this will ring a bell with someone who can help.
Thanks in advance,
Malcolm

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The clutch cover gasket is rather thin. There could probably be a difference in operation as a result, but I suspect you shook something up inside the slave cylinder while you were moving things around. Try flushing the system if you haven't already. If anything really nasty comes out, consider cleaning and rebuilding the cylinder.

Just so you know, it is not necessary to remove the clutch cover in order to change the timing belt.

OP
OP
malkyb
Bike
Yamaha YZF1000
Many thanks for your reply, maybe the paper gasket is actually thinner than the instant gasket (not that it seemed thin as I was scraping away at it trying to get the old one off!) but just as likely I did something to the slave cylinder. I really don't want to remove all the tupperware again but it seems like there's no option - at least the belly pan anyway.
Now someone tells me I don't have to remove the clutch cover :)
I wish it wasn't necessary to remove the radiator, fairing and exhaust too :mad:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Many thanks for your reply, maybe the paper gasket is actually thinner than the instant gasket (not that it seemed thin as I was scraping away at it trying to get the old one off!) but just as likely I did something to the slave cylinder. I really don't want to remove all the tupperware again but it seems like there's no option - at least the belly pan anyway.
Now someone tells me I don't have to remove the clutch cover :)
I wish it wasn't necessary to remove the radiator, fairing and exhaust too :mad:
I found a Youtube video, several actually, on belt replacement. Plastic and radiator had to come off. I was able to remove the belt and pulley covers with just that. Exhaust and other covers remained in place. It required a little wiggling to remove the large belt cover without scratching it up. While I was doing the belt, I also replaced the radiator cap, thermostat, and the long hose back to the secondary coolant tank. PO had the carbs, brakes and clutch cylinders rebuilt before he traded the bike in so I haven't had to go there yet.

OP
OP
malkyb
Bike
Yamaha YZF1000
Just ordered a paper gasket and wished I done this last week. Whilst I'm with the belly pan off I'll swap the fluid & bleed the clutch too. Grr...

OP
OP
malkyb
Bike
Yamaha YZF1000
Da-dahhhhh.... I replaced the instant gasket with the paper one and back to normal... The moral of the story is - don't use instant gasket!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I think something else caused the change besides the paper gasket - just a coincidence. I really don't think it would make a difference.
But good to hear your clutch is now working normally again.

Top Bottom