ST1100 clutch fluid - best how-to method?

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
Do you happen to remember the size?
Everything on my bike has been 4/5/6mm, but some of them are not the same as new. That should cover allen keys for plastic. I also recall just letting gravity do most of the work on the clutch, but not the details of how.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
I just did this when I swapped MC’s. Went well. A trick I use after bleeding is to tie the lever tight to the grip. Next morning whatever residual air has worked it’s way up to the MC and Voila! Done.

My arthritic hands are thrilled.

I’m pretty sure they’re M4 Allen sockets.

Bike
VStrom 650
Unless not recommended, I plan to use a vacuum pump and bottle kit.

Larry, I think it's 6mm but don't quote me.......
You just need the bottom grey lump off, which will come off in one lump. If you've got fairing extenders you'll just need to remove the bottom fastening on those. Also the bottom screws on the front cowling panel will need loosening to let the grey lump fall out.
Did mine this week, no vacuum required it just gushes out, like Roger says keep the master full and put something over the tank etc,........ Just in case.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Unless not recommended, I plan to use a vacuum pump and bottle kit.

You only need to remove the Belly pan. The Body panel Allens are 5mm.
The trick is to pull the 2 pins holding the body panels just above it on the Body panel inside the area just in front of the Radiator, it allows the Belly pan to come out easier. It goes in easier as well and re-insert the little Pins after installing the Belly pan. Hope that makes sense.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Do you perchance have a pic or two showing where these pins are located?
Here you go, the Pink highlighter points the way. The second shot shows what you are dealing with, you will pull the center part out to release the pin. This allows the Belly pan that is tucked inside that panel to come out and and go in easierPushpin 1.jpgPushpin 2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom