ST1100 - Front Calipers: Big Advantage to Single Line for Each Caliper?

Bike
2000 ST1100
Hi All,

I bought two ST1100's this winter. Keeping a 2000 (29k) as a replacement for a 2003 Magna, and fixing up and "potentially" selling a 2002 (54k).

The 2000 is a cleaner bike with half the miles, and a better color, for me ;) The bike I'm ultimately going to sell has a few upgrades, that wondering if it's worth it to exchange with my 2000:

1) The 2000 has seemingly standard front brake lines. One line to the left caliper, which then feeds the right caliper. The 2002 has two lines from the master going directly into each caliper. On the one line, I'd imagine you get pull on the left first until the pressure is enough to drive the right, but again, big difference? Worth swapping?

2) The rear shock on the 2002 is a Penske - I think 89xx series with a remote adjustment. Not sure what life expectancy is, but again wondering if I should swap out the standard shock @ 29k miles with one that may have 50k. I'll check sales records for when upgraded.

3) The 2002 has heated grips, which I'm not sure, from other accounts, if I can remove in one piece, but I think I can take the electricals and buy new grips from Oxford?

4) I also think the 2002 has a different fork, for sure it has a beefier handle bar. The 2002 is chrome and larger diam then my black 2000 bars....I think I can live with this.

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Thanks in advance

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Your 2002 is probably an ABSII model and in my opinion is the more desirable. It will have larger forks, a fork brace, larger front tire, linked brakes, ABS and traction control.
If desired you can change all the Tupperware pieces except the front fender. Only it will fit on an ABS bike. The instrument panel and the pocket fairing on the left is also unique to the ABS model,
.the coolant overflow container is different and located behind the engine instead of where the rear shock is.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Hi and welcome to the site. Is the 2002 an ABS model? Rear shock might be worth while. New heated grips would come with wiring so not worth stripping off. I would check to see if there is a secondary fuse block though. Different fork would also seem to indicate ABS model.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Don't let the difference in mileage be the determining factor of which one you keep. Mileage alone is pretty much irrelevant on these motorcycles until you start approaching the 200,000 mile range. The mileage on both of those motorcycles has barely surpassed the break-in range. Base your decision on model type, which determines features, the condition of each motorcycle, and the upgrades that have been done and that are important to you.

Sounds like you have a 2000 standard model and a 2002 ABS II model. The ABS II is the more desirable of the two in my opinion.
Post pictures of each bike. We'll tell you which model each one is and what the differences are.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Your 2002 is probably an ABSII model and in my opinion is the more desirable. It will have larger forks, a fork brace, larger front tire, linked brakes, ABS and traction control.
After 2 or 3 solar revolutions with you guys -- and a couple of you gals -- this is the first mention that I recall of traction control.
Seriously... have I been asleep?
For sure I'm more familiar with the 1300. At least I think I am...
Thanks for the enlightenment.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
ABS TC.jpg

If one is ABS, that'd be the one I'd keep. My other was a '97 and even with new pads, new pistons, new braided rear line and existing braided front lines and rebuilt master cylinders and calipers, the braking was noticeably inferior to my '96 ABS. But hey, more to go wrong and you could sell the ABS for more, most likely.

Bike
2010 ST1300
After 2 or 3 solar revolutions with you guys -- and a couple of you gals -- this is the first mention that I recall of traction control.
Seriously... have I been asleep?
I think you turn off the traction control in snow. As for your other question, we can only guess - you know for sure. :rofl1:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
1) The 2000 has seemingly standard front brake lines. One line to the left caliper, which then feeds the right caliper. The 2002 has two lines from the master going directly into each caliper. On the one line, I'd imagine you get pull on the left first until the pressure is enough to drive the right, but again, big difference? Worth swapping?
the pressure in the lines is the same everywhere, no difference between the single or dual lines.

When I replaced my lines with steel braided that resulted in a two-line installation rather than the single with the crossover. There is an advantage to the stainless steel braided lines, because they don't flex like the stock rubber ones, but there's no inherent advantage to the two line system if they both used rubber lines.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Two brake lines from master cylinder directly to the calipers indicates no ABS.
Different fork on the 2002 could be from an ABSII.
Post pictures.
Penske shock is a keeper.
Any doubts about condition means send it in for rebuild. Well worth 300 or so to do.
The Penske shock hints that the fork may have been upgraded.
How do these bikes ride qualities compare.
What size front rim is on it?
What size front tire?

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
... Different fork on the 2002 could be from an ABSII. ...
The ABS forks are a larger dia. The triple tree and a bunch of front end parts have to be swapped also.

ABSII-note the reflector is low on the fork and there is a "grey" plastic cover just above and behind reflector. It usually has a decal saying ABSII TCS or some such. Fender color "ears" stick up from the fender to protect the fork. The caliper has 3 pots (kinda hard to see), has 2 hoses going to it and is more of a charcoal grey color. It says NISSIN on the caliper.

Non ABSII: note the reflector is higher and behind the fork. Black color fork protectors are mounted on fork. The caliper has 2 pots and is silvery grey color.

Attachments

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If one is ABS, that'd be the one I'd keep. My other was a '97 and even with new pads, new pistons, new braided rear line and existing braided front lines and rebuilt master cylinders and calipers, the braking was noticeably inferior to my '96 ABS. But hey, more to go wrong and you could sell the ABS for more, most likely.
Unless you've had both models (like me) many folks don't realize how good the ABSII brakes are - not the ABS but the brakes themselves.
That's why I converted my standard to use the ABSII calipers and forks - what a dramatic improvement that is! :biggrin:

OP
OP
jacMA
Bike
2000 ST1100
The 2002 isn't ABS. I would think that I'd have an ABS button, and an ABS light on the dash - which I don't. The person I bought the 2002 from had purchased it from the original owner. I have quite a bit of original paperwork including original purchase back in '02. Model is listed as ST11002. I've ridden the '00 about 50 miles now - New England winter and all, while I've let me buddy ride the '02. I'll take a ride on '02 before making a final sell decision. Like I said, overall the '00 is just a cosmetically cleaner bike. Perfect valve covers, rims, drive, etc clean as a whistle. I would definitely change all the plastic bits if keeping the '02. The '02 is a custom paint which is not my favorite.

I'll clean up the '02 a bit, and post pics of both

List of aftermarket Parts, that I see invoices on:

1) Race Tech
- FK Emulator
- Frk Springs
2) Penske 8983 rear shock
3) Corbin seat
4) PIAA aux lights
5) Oxford Heated grips

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If it were an ABSII the front fender would be different than your standard.
I would definitely keep the Penske shock and the PIAAs.
It would be a bit of work, but if they are both standards and you have not reworked your front end, I'd swap the forks.
Swapping forks is not that big of a deal - remove the front wheel, take the calipers loose from the forks, loosen the 6 (IIRC) cinch bolts and slide them out.
If it has dual brake lines to the front, the PO probably got replacement brake lines somewhere along the way, maybe Gaffers.

Top Bottom