ST1100 LED dash signal bulb draws small current when not blinking

Bike
2000 ST1100
I replaced the dash lights with LED's today and noticed that the turn signal indicators draw a small current when not active, and work normally when turning. They are not bright but I can see the faint glow in the dash. Previously I had switched the turn signal bulbs to LED rear and switch back LED's for the front with clear indicator lenses. I also went with an electronic signal relay when installing the signal bulbs. Anyone else do the conversion and have their dash indicator bulbs show a dim light when not actually on?

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
I changed every bulb on my ST1100 to LEDs when I first put it on the road and so far, knock on wood, no issues. I don’t recall any issues with the turn indicators and in my ride tonight (first if the year ! Woohoo! Don’t ask why... :( they were definitely not glowing.

I guess it could be the brand/model of bulb.

Bike
ST1100
I did the same conversion to LEDs too, and I don't get how that (glowing) can be. Didn't you do any changes in standard electric circuit like installing additional relay? Because as I remember right, control signal lights connected to main turn lamps in parallel and also all circuit is cut open by turn switch on handlebar in middle position. Or maybe, grease in turn switch has a little conductivity because it absorbed some copper and electronic relay passes some current too.. Or main LED bulbs contain capacitors and they feed little control bulbs with some small current after they charge..

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100
... i think that idea with capacitor in LED bulb may worth to verify - Just need to pull out bulb - if dim light on that side goes off - that means that LED bulbs feed control light some time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
skinl19
Bike
2000 ST1100
I swapped back to the OEM turn signal relay to see if that solved the problem but no luck. For now I will ride as is and continue to investigate, maybe switching back to the regular dash indicator bulbs for the turn signals if I find the dim bulbs distracting while driving.

Top Bottom