ST1100 Madstad Adjustable Windshield Project

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here are the pictures of the MADSTAD Adjustable Windshield project. Back in Jaunary, I contacted Mark Stadnyk at MadStad Engineering about the project and offered to send him an extra windshield that I had. I told him I was in no hurry and understood that he had to focus on profitable projects since he has a business to run. But he proceeded and sent me the current sent up which includes the base plate, a set of his Robo-Brackets and a test windshield - and a lot of time invested for him. I have ridden several thousand miles with this setup and have been very pleased. With the Robo-Brackets, you have all sorts of adjustments in both height and pitch (the ugly knobs are my addition so I could more easily adjust on the fly during testing). The base plate bolts directly into the existing windshield holes so there is no modification to the body work. With this setup, various windshields could be used as he has a very clever mounting system to the brackets. I usually have a Clearview Gen III XL on my ST1100s and this setup gives me almost as good as coverage. I do notice that the wind noise picks up above 70 mph so I figure I need a little wider shield for me. I am hoping that he will have enough interest that he can offer this as a standard production item on his website. His contact information is -

MadStad Engineering
20721 US Highway 301
Dade City, FL 33523 U.S.A.

Phone: 352-608-4069
Email: support@madstad.com

Hours: 8:00 am to 6:00 pm Eastern time, USA

http://www.madstad.com/

Attachments

• BracketCloseup.jpg
    BracketCloseup.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 233
  • FromSeat.jpg
    FromSeat.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 179
  • FrontCloseup.jpg
    FrontCloseup.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 205
  • FrontCloseupBottom.jpg
    FrontCloseupBottom.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 164
  • FrontCloseupLeft.jpg
    FrontCloseupLeft.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 184
  • FrontCloseUpRight.jpg
    FrontCloseUpRight.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 172
  • LeftAngleProfile.jpg
    LeftAngleProfile.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 159
  • LeftProfile.jpg
    LeftProfile.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 156
  • RightProfile.jpg
    RightProfile.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Uncy Phil, I've just this minute been reading about it on my-mc. Looks pretty good! I think a wider-at-the-bottom shield would be more aesthetically pleasing, too - probably more like the 1300's shield.

Hope the knee is mending satisfactorily!

Phil this is an awesome project!!! Living in NQ I have throught about having two separate screens for wet weather and hot days so I can change them around, but it is a pain to carry the second screen to changeover.

Any idea on a ball park price for this system? I would be seriously interested as I have to take the bike off the road for a short while soon to do some extra wiring and mods and this could be added very easily. I am one concerned about functionality and not looks, so if you say it works that good enough for me.

Email enquiry sent for pricing.

Last edited:
Since this setup just bolts right into the same holes as a normal windshield, it's an easy install. I told Mark at MADSTAD that I had no idea how big the market would be, but he was still kind enough to do the first prototype for me to play with. The amazing part to me is just how much adjustment there is in all directions and how easy it would be to put practically any size windshield on the brackets. It's a pretty neat concept that I believe would also lend itself to a powered version with some more tinkering. BTW, his company is the one that made the adjustable brackets for the V-Stroms.

Phil got my response this morning and Mark says he is looking at the wider screen in the next few weeks as per your request. Told him I would probably prefer the wider screen for torrential rain here in NQ and then have a smaller screen for travelling at other times of the year as we really don't get a winter here in NQ.

Thanks for the post as I am definitely interested if I can fit it in the budget.

Uncle Phil, how is the madstad windshield holding up? Have you figured out how to attach a motor to it yet? I am thinking about getting the robot brackets or just some sliding brackets from windbender.

When I first got my Tiger I was looking for another windshield. I rode over to Madstad and Mark treated me very well. He and I installed the Tiger version on my bike. I have to say it worked better than anything I could have imagined. As a matter of fact it worked way too well for this hot natured Florida boy. Absolutely no air on upper body and/or head, depending on how it was adjusted. I no longer have it, but am thinking of buying just an un-drilled shield from him for the setup I have now.

So if it works anything like the one I had it will be great for you northerners.

Well, I haven't done much else with this project as the shield was too narrow. But I am getting back on the 'powered' side of it. For pricing, you should just email MADSTAD Engineering and I'm sure he would give you a quote.

I know this is an old thread, but what is the status of this project? I can't get them to email me back. I just called and left a message.

I have a Madstad for the Turbo City bars on my XT225 and I love it. I also loved the stock shield with Laminar lip until I exchanged my Corbin for a Russell; about a 2 inch difference in seat height. My Clearview is just a little short. I didn't think I would need the TALLEST windscreen.

Back
Top Bottom