st1100 non starter

hi all i just cleaned out my carb and a balance which was a nightmare as was reading the haynes manual for a week before i realised it was wrong ,i was thinking all kinds is my engine knackered etc but no its fine ,so balanced the carbs today and was running sweet ,then went out and when i tried to start it tonight for a run out it wouldnt start ,its a 98 st1100 with 28,000 miles ,thanks foe any advice

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
This topic has been covered a bunch of times recently and should be easy to find lots of info. There's a bunch of easy checks to do before you dive into anything. Typically the battery is bad.
If that doesn't help, you'd need to be a lot more specific on what is happening.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
do you mean it wouldn't crank over, or it cranks over but doesn't fire??

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
hi all i just cleaned out my carb and a balance which was a nightmare as was reading the haynes manual for a week before i realised it was wrong ,i was thinking all kinds is my engine knackered etc but no its fine ,so balanced the carbs today and was running sweet ,then went out and when i tried to start it tonight for a run out it wouldnt start ,its a 98 st1100 with 28,000 miles ,thanks foe any advice
Kill Switch on?

OP
OP
This topic has been covered a bunch of times recently and should be easy to find lots of info. There's a bunch of easy checks to do before you dive into anything. Typically the battery is bad.
If that doesn't help, you'd need to be a lot more specific on what is happening.
hi yes it cranks and battery is good just wouldnt start

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
hi yes it cranks and battery is good just wouldnt start
Hi Sean, going to have to start with the basics. If it ran sweetly before what’s changed? Do you have a spark at the plugs? Is fuel getting through when you spin it over? Does the fuel pump work? Fuse gone? Kill switch playing up? Fuel vacuum tap failed? Hopefully whatever it is you can narrow down and fix it. Looks like you just joined the forum, there is loads of info on here so grab a brew and start reading up, I have already learnt plenty. There are some seriously talented and knowledgeable people who know these Pans inside out so I’m sure you will get it resolved.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
thanks for all your help ,bike is sorted now it was the vacuum pipe that goes to the fuel tap ,this is my 4 st1100 ,great bikes
Assuming you're talking about the vacuum operated fuel shutoff, most of us ST11 owners remove/bypass it.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I got bit by the vac. fuel valve on the way to the BRG. Luckily it died as I pulled into a rest stop. Unloaded the bike, stripped the plastic, unrolled the tool roll and less than 15 minutes later it was running fine. One of those screws mounting the bracket to the air filter housing screws tightly into the vac. hose. After the re-assembly and re-packing, it turned into about a 45 minute stop. :( Usually I remove it as a pre-emptive strike but I've only owned the ST for a short time and it had run fine up to this point.

For those not wanting to remove the valve, I would consider installing a snubber/restrictor in the vac. line. This is suppose to reduce the fluctuation of the diaphragm due to the vacuum fluctuating peaks with the RPM changes. I don't know the tubing size used on the valve but something like this example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom