ST1100 Progressive rear shock adjustment help

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I repleaced my rear shock with this model last weekend.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/465/index.html

I put the new progressive shock in and adjusted the pre load but it seemed too tight. I have backed it off a bit and rode to work and it seems a bit better but maybe even a little soft.

I set the rebound damper to 3 but for the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust the sag height? I read all the instructions, and I know about the 2 measurements with the wheel off the ground and the rider and bike sitting for the 2nd one. However it does not seem to get anywhere near the 1.5 inches I found here. Total travel looks like 120 mm and Progressive recommends 1/3 of that. 40 mm is close to 1.5 inches. No matter how much I wind down the adjuster it still stays at about 2 inches between both measurements.

Any ideas?

Of yes and that wrench to adjust seems useless to me as each time I put the 3/8 drive in it and turn it seems to pull away from the adjuster. Obviously I don't know how to use it right.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Interesting, I am just thinking of maybe buying the progressive 465,if its this much hassle to adjust right maybe I'd be better getting a new oem.changing from solo to 2up riding would be a lot more hassle than flicking the oem round to position 5 with a C spanner.

Bike
1994 ST1100
Hmm. I didn't have any problems adjusting mine. And I have same 465. Just try to play with it a little more. Maybe you're missing something.

Mark

Bike
Vstrom 650
Hmm. I didn't have any problems adjusting mine. And I have same 465. Just try to play with it a little more. Maybe you're missing something.

Mark
HI Mark. do you change from solo riding to 2 up riding much? and is it hard to adjust between the 2 set ups? I read on another thread that you can only get small turns each time on the adjusting nut and its a PITA to adjust it. thanks

Bike
1994 ST1100
I don't adjust it since I got it. I (we) commute to work 2 up and back by myself every day so I initially adjusted it in between. It's not perfect but I refuse to do it twice a day....lol. At first I was a little confused about adjusting but I played with it until I found the right position. So honestly, I don't really know how I got it. You cannot ruin it or over adjust it just by trying to find the right setting for you.

Mark

Bike
ST 1100
I mounted the same shock last year and adjusted for quite a while before I got it right. Since the bike is so heavy and the instructions are generic, you can't just hit the sag numbers. Just adjust it so you have the same sag front and rear. If you added a preload spacer or stiffer springs to the front as I did, then the rear just needs to match. If the front springs are stock, and the sag in the rear is matching your dampening adjustment will probably be at number 3 of 5. If you stiffened the front end, then matched the rear sag rate again your dampening will get up to 5 of 5 like mine is.

Top Bottom