ST1100 Rear shock failure or something else?

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I posted here a few days ago about changing the fork oil on my ST but now things have moved to the rear. On the weekend I noticed a fair bit of fluid dripping down on the right side of the wheel and it was also wet around the drive shaft area. After taking the side bag off and the side cover I could see the spring around the original shock was wet and the seal area was wet as well. This all started when I had my daughter on the back for a ride I think.

I wiped everything dry and then ordered a new Progressive shock which I should be picking up on Saturday. On the ride in this morning I noticed the area on the drive shaft was wet again :( Arrow in picture points to area I am talking about.
The fluid is very clear (almost like water) but has an oily feel. It's too hard to tell if more fluid has pumped out of the shock without taking things apart. One other thing I noted was the fact that a little bit of the moly paste has loosened up on the bottom of the wheel. There is a black plastic ring there that seems to have some open gaps (it's the same at the top) and the paste looks a little watery (number 6 in diagram). I contributed this to the shock fluid running all back and ending up on the bottom thinning out the moly paste.

I really hope something has not failed in the drive line. I changed the rear fluid last fall with the correct weight of synthetic. Anything else to look for beside the drive fluid level, or am I just getting paranoid until the shock is changed out?

1.jpg

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
It only takes a minute to check the fluid level in the final drive; so check it just to be sure. But I would guess that you hit the nail on the head with your diagnosis of shock oil.

You'll REALLY LIKE the new PS rear shock!

Bike
1994 ST1100
Look at the shocks stem if its oily and has a ring of oil and dust. That way you'll know for sure if the shock seal had failed

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Thanks for easing my paranoia! As Digger1 mentioned above it's definitely not gear oil that has ran down on the wheel. I checked the gear oil last night and it is a different colour as well as having a bad smell. It was full as well. The oil I saw had to come from the shock and the ride last night confirmed that. Very rough.

I plan to pick up my shock tomorrow and get it installed as soon as I get home.

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Got the shock out on the weekend and it was definitely gone...covered in oil. I put the new progressive shock in and adjusted the pre load but it seemed too tight. Today I backed it off a bit and rode to work and it seems a bit better but maybe even a little soft.

The rebound damper is set to 3 but for the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust the sag height? I read all the instructions and I know about the 2 measurements with the wheel off the ground and the rider and bike sitting for the 2nd one. However it does not seem to get anywhere near the 1.5 inches I found here. Total travel looks like 120 mm and Progressive recommends 1/3 of that. 40 mm is close to 1.5 inches. No matter how much I wind down the adjuster it still stays at about 2 inches between both measurements.

I may just leave it alone once I figure out what "feels" best.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Got the shock out on the weekend and it was definitely gone...covered in oil. I put the new progressive shock in and adjusted the pre load but it seemed too tight. Today I backed it off a bit and rode to work and it seems a bit better but maybe even a little soft.

The rebound damper is set to 3 but for the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust the sag height? I read all the instructions and I know about the 2 measurements with the wheel off the ground and the rider and bike sitting for the 2nd one. However it does not seem to get anywhere near the 1.5 inches I found here. Total travel looks like 120 mm and Progressive recommends 1/3 of that. 40 mm is close to 1.5 inches. No matter how much I wind down the adjuster it still stays at about 2 inches between both measurements.

I may just leave it alone once I figure out what "feels" best.

Hi, Was it a progressive 465 you fitted? did you get the adjustment sorted and how does it feel now? Did you also replace fork oil or fork springs?
My shock is bottoming out 2up.there is no oil leak but I assume its day is up at 41000 miles. I was thinking of getting a hagon shock but after reading threads on here about them leaking I think I will go with the progressive from the USA. I see this one on ebay, item number 130747942094
I am also going to change the fork oil to 10 weight and not sure if I should replace the springs as well, the bike rides horrible at the minute with the suspension out of whack,looking forward to getting her sorted soon.

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Yes the one on Ebay is the exact same shock as mine and the same price as Dennis Kirk (DK has free shipping though to the US). I still find it a bit harsh but that could be my adjustment. I am going away on a long trip next week and loaded down with camping gear so that should tell me if I have enough preload or not enough.

I didn't do the fork springs but I also know they need work so I am going to wait until the fall for that.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks, I don't know which to go for,I suppose the oem showa is the safe option,though its more expensive.
I also see this rebuild kit
http://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/store/uk-HONDA-ST_1100_Pan_European_CBSABSTCS-9926-2001/127-Suspension__Handling-HyperproSuspensionSteeringDampers/204952-Hyperpro__CombiKit_Purple

I don't think my shock is leaking oil but I think the spring has definitely had it. I am going to ring around a few Honda bike dealers and see what they reckon, good luck and enjoy your trip.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I suppose the oem showa is the safe option...
Not in matters of performance or durability (the OEM Showa is simply done by 80Tkm/50Kmiles...), but for preload and damper adjustments its surely the easiest to go with. The only aftermarket shock I found that provides superb adjustment controls, was the Wilbers kit with its auxiliary hydraulic preload adjuster (and piggyback expansion vessel); simply count the clicks on the wheel, knob and screws to get to your established preload and damper settings for: solo, solo with luggage, 2 up and two up with luggage... that thing is big bucks and it'll take you a couple of days to refine the preferred settings... but (combined with some Hyperpro linear progressive fork springs) its probably the best one can do to his ST; no bottoming out, rock solid line under all conditions... (I'm always perplexed when hopping onto the other '94 ST1100 with its OEM suspension; WOW! that thing rides like a COUCH! :-D)

Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks, yeah there is a choice to make,the oem 52400-MAJ-G41 is $299 plus delivery from partzilla which isn't bad,it would be fine for the type of riding I do and it will probably take me at least 10 years to clock up 50k miles.
The other options are Hagon, wilbers ecoline 540 (SC26) or progressive 465,wish there was an easy answer.hagon recommends changing the fork springs at the same time,the custom built hagon shock is ?375 plus fork springs and oil are ?89,plus delivery.
decisions decisions,,,

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...the oem 52400-MAJ-G41 is $299 plus delivery from partzilla...
Well, the info on a Wilbers 641 Competition + hydraulic preload adjuster coming for juicy EUR 898,- + P&P (the additional € 195,- for the fork spring kit are just petty cash there...) might help easing that decision though... ;-)
For 'normal/average' application/riding the OEM suspension provides quite a good compromise IMHO, but the rear starting to wave and pump when running over a slight hump or detent in a fast corner with two up and luggage did irritate me, the undercarriage slamming the deck in the compression of a fast RHS turn (literally causing us to run wide... and me to run pale...) finally provided the cause for a suspension upgrade being a must to have for an 'ambitioned' rider...
Let's not forget that (depending on the year of MFG) the official rated payload of an ST1100 are only 189~200kg (416~440lbs)... now do the math with two persons in full riding gear, panniers filled with clothing for two weeks, a top case with some light stuff like gloves and jacket liners in it and finally a tank bag holding stuff like netbook, cameras, tools, tie-downs, etc... even the farkels add up: car stereo: ~1kg, PMR radio: ~0,5kg, GPS incl. cradle and power supply: another 0,5kg, etc...

Top Bottom