ST1100 Rear shock mounting bolt size - slight problem - Advice needed.

Perth. Western Australia / Phu My Hung (District
STOC #
Just ran into a slight problem - started to swap the old worn out OEM rear shock with a nice new Progressive Series 465 unit.

Pulled the old one out without any problems - then went to mount the Progressive 465 unit. The top mounting bolt and sleeve have been replaced with new OEM ones.

High stress point bolts, etc, use once then replace with new ones everytime they are taken out for any reason.
Might be concidered an 'old fashion' maintinance practice but I haven't had any failures by doing this in cars, bikes, planes or helicopters so it works.
Bit of lithium based grease ( Castrol LMX - formerly known as 'APX T' ) just as the owner's manual says onto the bolt and inside the sleeve. Great. :clap2:

Next the lower mounting bolt - PROBLEM ! :eek:4:

The original bolt diameter is 14mm. The internal diameter of the lower bolt mounting bush in the Progressive shock unit is only 10mm. :hun1:

14mm bolt into 10mm bushing hole won't quite fit. :think1:

Anyone else come across this ? My ST1100 is an Australian ex-State Police pursuit bike, '96 model.
Did Honda fit a heavier duty rear shock unit originally to 'Police models' - anyone know ? :confused:

The lower bolt thread diameter has a 'step-down' diameter of only 8mm so I can't just replace it with another upper end mounting bolt. :censored

No rear shock means no riding - any ideas please people ? :please1:

:wht11:

Avtrician

Big hammer.

If that doesnt work then the hammer is too small:D:D

Just kidding. You obviously cant fit a smaller bolt as it would slop around in the mounting bracket, unless you can get the right sleeves. May be there is another version of the shock with a 14mm hole..

Is it possible to drill out the hole???:(

Bike
ST1100AX
Just been refitting the rear shock to my ST1100 after repairing the alternator, somehow lost the top bush sleeve so instead of ordering one and waiting my dad made one for me.

If you know someone with a lathe, what about putting the bottom bolt in the lathe and turn down the 14mm middle section down to the 10mm you are after.

OP
OP
Flip
STOC #
Big hammer.

If that doesnt work then the hammer is too small:D:D

Just kidding. You obviously cant fit a smaller bolt as it would slop around in the mounting bracket, unless you can get the right sleeves. May be there is another version of the shock with a 14mm hole..

Is it possible to drill out the hole???:(

G'day 'Avtrician',

" hammer " ??? MMMMMM ? :think1: Even a 10 kg sledge hammer wouldn't work in this case.

:shock: "drill them out ? " NEVER ! :22yikes: The material left would be too thin and that could damage whatever sort of heat treatment was done to the materials in the first place.

There are a couple of what appear to be hard spring wire 'C' clips in a small recessed grove, one each side of each bushing, so I'm guessing the bushes are interchangable - just a matter of finding the correct sized ones.

Tried looking up Progressive Suspension's web site - but at first glance, couldn't find anything there that would help me very much.

With everything else they changed - I have a nasty feeling the Honda produced their 'Police model' ST1100 with a little bit heavier duty suspension than the standard model - NOTHING would surprise me now. :censored

Have to send off some emails to Progressive or their agents - but not their agent here in Oz. - and see what happens. :please1:

And " Hi " to Flookyk as well, :D

Don't really want to turn anything down to a smaller diameter - that only equals lest strength to my way of thinking.

If there in one place where strength is really critical to hold things together on the road at any sort of half decent speed - it's in your suspension system. :(

Just have to keep on looking around and sending emails until I find the size I need.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway. :bow1:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I'm sorry to read of this issue and can't help with the fitment; but, can't you refit the old shock for a bit while you sort it out...
Or was the old unit *completely* shot and dangerous to ride?

Bike
ST1100AX
I have an ex police ST1100 and replaced with a standard shock, it fitted no problem like for like so it may be the Progressive that is wrong or just your Oz Police ones that were different.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
As Mark sez...

Don't have all the bits laying around to take measurements, but I recall the same general size on that bottom bolt on the standard ST as well. Bolt head is 14 mm, body of the bolt is the same. 8mm threaded end is just to hold the "pin" in place as the leading end of the fat part carries the load. I wouldn't cut it down, it's a kind'a critical part. :D

<looking>
Part #8 in this diagram:
BOLT, RR. CUSHION
90159-MG9-000

BTW, the bottom bushing in the OEM shock is not "serviceable", would take custom machine shop to change it. As to your replacement shock, sounds to me like your Progressive shock has the wrong sleeve.

Keep us poSTed

Avtrician

Just had a look at the manual, looks like you were given the wrong shocker. it needs a larger eye end. Hope you find a fix quickly, so I know what to get for my bike.

Bike
ST1100
Just had a look at the manual, looks like you were given the wrong shocker. it needs a larger eye end. Hope you find a fix quickly, so I know what to get for my bike.
I replaced mine with one of these and am very happy so far. They also have track and race versions if you want more adjustment options.

OP
OP
Flip
STOC #
Hi again guys,

spent a few hours checking a load of Honda bike shops and parts sellers on-line sites.

All 3 mounting components have the same item numbers both in Oz and in the USA. :banghead:

Top mounting - Bolt, Flange (10 X 48) Part # 90155-MT3-000
Collar, Bush Part number # 52453-MT3-611
Lower mounting - Bolt, RR. Cushion Part # 90159-MG-000

So much for that idea - looks like someone at the factory goofed - DEFINATELY the wrong sized bushing fitted to the shock unit I brought. :eek:4:

At least the Progressive Rear shock unit looks as if bush replacement will be possible.
There appers to be a sping wire 'C' clip in a small groove on each side of the bushings, top and bottom ends.

Hopefully it will be an easy matter to remove that wire clip and swap the bushings over for the correct size.

I've sent an email off to the company I brought it through - hopefully I'll hear something positive back from them soon.

Hi to Mark, - don't really want to put the original shock unit back.
The bike and I where both pretty badly smashed up just over four years ago - hit from behind - HARD - while parked. :(
For the last year, since I've been able to walk again, rebuilding the bike has been a sort of 'therapy' thing for me so I figured while I'm re-building it, I'd do a few little up-grades. :D
Had hoped to have both of us back on the road in time for my 65th birthday at the end of this month.
Might still just get there with a day or two to spare. :burnout

STOC #
Did you get this resolved? I just heard from the dealer who is installing a Progressive 465 on my ST1100 - they say it doesn't fit. Sounds like the exact same problem...

OP
OP
Flip
STOC #
G'day 'OddSox, :)
Sent you a PM and an email - hope you got them both and the 3 photos attached to the email helped you out a bit.
Flip.
Western Australia.

MMMMMMMMMMMM??? Better change my 'tip Overs' to 5 now.
#4 - Got cut off on my way to pick up my passport and visa for 12 month holiday in S.E.Asia by a dumb, blond bimbo in a Toymotor tin-top. Result - broken right shoulder and 4 broken ribs. Another band new BMW System6 Flip-up helmet destroyed. $1100 worth of plastic and paint to the ST. :( Dumb bimbo turned across in front of me, then stopped blocking the road. Only one car length to try to stop or miss her. NO CHANCE AT ALL, and directly in front of two uniformed W.A. Police ! Nice to have witnesses like that. Holiday delayed until 4th January 2012.
#5 - clipped and knocked off my bike (not an ST) by a taxi in Sai Gon, 28th July 2012. Three months on crutches and a leg cast with a fractured left knee.
HEY ! Not half bad ! Lasted more than 6 months riding around most every single day and night in a city with about four MILLION motorbikes ! (most of which don't have even one working light on them anywhere) :D
PLUS cars, buses, trucks, etc. everywhere. You haven't LIVED until you try living and riding around in Sai Gon these days ! Red traffic lights ? Just used as a warning to look around for something cutting across in front of you. #1 Road Rule - the biggest, heavy vehicle has ALWAYS got the right-of-way. Footpaths are used by any/all motorbikes to avoid had traffic jams, which are continuous 7 days and nights a week.
Expect to be stopped at least once a week by the 'Cong An'(traffic police). Always smiling and polite while they're fining you. ($2- $10) Your on-the-spot fine (beer money) is directly proportional to the value of your vehicle. 98% of Cong An never wear a gun (or need to). Everyone is unbelievably friendly. There's NO SUCH thing as 'stranger danger' for kids ! AND NO 'ROAD RAGE' !

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
ouch, ouch and more ouch!

Glad to see/read that you're a quick healer!
;)

I'd add ride safe; but, I don't know if it would help! :D

Bike
Vstrom 650
Did you get this resolved? I just heard from the dealer who is installing a Progressive 465 on my ST1100 - they say it doesn't fit. Sounds like the exact same problem...
Hi, did you get the new progressive 465 shock fitted and if so how happy are you with it? just about to buy a new shock for my st1100 and I'm considering oem or progressive 465,these comments though about them not fitting have me worried. thanks

Top Bottom