ST1100 starting problem.

Hi all, my ST is garaged, over winter I start it monthly to keep all fluids moving etc. Came to start it recently turns over but doesn't fire up. Every time I have done this previously before attempting to start her the battery condition light on the dash has always been green. Now however when turning on the ignition it goes straight to red even before attempting to start her. The battery is good there are no blown fuses that I have found. Electrical problem ?? Can anyone shed some light please. TIA.

Bike
VStrom 650
Firstly, welcome from Northumberland, England.
If the fuel pump is switching it could be a dirty on/off run switch. Rock it on and off a few times.
How long has the fuel been in and is it E10, if so it goes off quickly in certain conditions.
Plus if needed, remove a plug and check for a spark.
Good luck or bon chance mon ami.
Upt.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi all, my ST is garaged, over winter I start it monthly to keep all fluids moving etc. Came to start it recently turns over but doesn't fire up. Every time I have done this previously before attempting to start her the battery condition light on the dash has always been green. Now however when turning on the ignition it goes straight to red even before attempting to start her. The battery is good there are no blown fuses that I have found. Electrical problem ?? Can anyone shed some light please. TIA.
Battery condition light? Are you talking about the neutral light? Or is that something in Euro ST1100s?
Voltage across the terminals of the battery? (Should be 12+ before starting efforts).
Gas in the fuel filter?
Pull a plug and ground it and turn try to start the engine to see if you are getting fire.

OP
OP
Firstly, welcome from Northumberland, England.
If the fuel pump is switching it could be a dirty on/off run switch. Rock it on and off a few times.
How long has the fuel been in and is it E10, if so it goes off quickly in certain conditions.
Plus if needed, remove a plug and check for a spark.
Good luck or bon chance mon ami.
Upt.
Cheers Upt. Fuel is good, On/off run switch ? Ignition switch or kill switch ? Haven't tried the plug spark as yet but thanks my friend.

OP
OP
Battery condition light? Are you talking about the neutral light? Or is that something in Euro ST1100s?
Voltage across the terminals of the battery? (Should be 12+ before starting efforts).
Gas in the fuel filter?
Pull a plug and ground it and turn try to start the engine to see if you are getting fire.
Thanks Uncle Phil, No not the neutral light. It appears to be a battery condition light. Showing green when good prior to starting going red then once started back to green again as the alternator charges the battery ( maybe a Euro st thing) Voltage is 13.3 . Will check the others over the next few days thank. I still believe its maybe an electrical problem though.

Bike
R1200rt
If the battery light is red how do you know the battery is good? Are you giving it any throttle? Starting cold and not running it to a normal temperature range could cause carbon build up on the plugs or a flooded condition. A wide open throttle may help it start as long as it's cranking normally. Also short running periods in cold weather doesn't fully recharge the battery.

OP
OP
Batteries can 'appear' to be good but have a dead cell in them and not provide enough cranking amps.
Does it spin over pretty well or sluggishly?
Spins very well until I run the battery down.The battery is under two years old and holds its charge well

OP
OP
If the battery light is red how do you know the battery is good? Are you giving it any throttle? Starting cold and not running it to a normal temperature range could cause carbon build up on the plugs or a flooded condition. A wide open throttle may help it start as long as it's cranking normally. Also short running periods in cold weather doesn't fully recharge the battery.
Thanks, the battery even with a booster did not fire it up. I am giving it throttle and letting it run to its normal running temp so that the fan clicks in and all systems run. Battery been off and trickle charged.

Bike
R1200rt
Thanks, the battery even with a booster did not fire it up. I am giving it throttle and letting it run to its normal running temp so that the fan clicks in and all systems run. Battery been off and trickle charged.
Pull a plug make sure it's not soaked with gas, If it is it's flooded. You can check if the carbs have fuel by unscrewing the bowl drain .If it's dry you need to check fuel pressure. Hearing the pump run doesn't mean you have correct pressure

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Uncle Phil, No not the neutral light. It appears to be a battery condition light. Showing green when good prior to starting going red then once started back to green again as the alternator charges the battery ( maybe a Euro st thing) Voltage is 13.3 . Will check the others over the next few days thank. I still believe its maybe an electrical problem though.
On all of my ST1100s the charging voltage measured across the battery terminals when running is about 14.2.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of plugs. Even if you have spark from the old ones. I have experienced what you have described twice, once on my 1990, the second on my 97. Fresh plugs, three cranks and it purrs like a Pfaff sewing machine. ;)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you've got 13+ and it turns over, do you smell gas?
It sounds like it might be firing but getting no fuel.
Although you would have to remove the air cleaner over (which means removing the side panels and gas tank cover) you could some starter fluid into the carbs and see if it tries to fire. That would give you an idea if it is fire or fuel.
Or as I said, plug a plug and ground it and see if you get spark when it turns over.

OP
OP
Sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of plugs. Even if you have spark from the old ones. I have experienced what you have described twice, once on my 1990, the second on my 97. Fresh plugs, three cranks and it purrs like a Pfaff sewing machine. ;)
Cheers Kiltman, have new plugs on order. Old set removed and a little sooty so you never know. Thanks

Top Bottom