ST1100 stock exhaust life

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Just got an '01 ST1100 with TBR exhaust. Don't really like them so I'd like to sell the TBR's and replace them with stock mufflers, preferably used.

What should I look for? How long do they last without needing a repack, if that's even possible on stock? It looks like all 1100's use the same exhaust?

FWIW, I also have a '91 ST1100 with stock exhaust and they sound great after 22 years and 85k miles, although I'm not 100% sure if they are original to the bike.

TIA!

-Paul

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Not quite as much mileage as the others, but this 01 with 123k sounds good.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Most of the issues I've seen with bike exhausts, especially STs, comes from the environment. Rust is the primary killer. Yes, they can sound a bit different as they age, but not a huge change from what I've heard. You mainly have to watch out for the pipes rusting. Being in Texas, that shouldn't be an issue for you. If you are looking for used replacements, look for some from a southern bike that hasn't seen much salt or humidity.

Also check the INSIDE of the pipes if it's a southern part. Part of the reaction taking place in an internal combustion engine results in about 1 gallon of water coming out the exhaust for every gallon of gas used. Most of this comes from moisture in the air the engine is taking in, some from the chemical reaction of the combustion process. If you want an example of this watch your car's exhaust when freshly started- it drips water. As the exhaust warms up it evaporates...but still comes out the exhaust. The point is- an exhaust can rust from the inside even if it has never seen salt or snow.

Top Bottom