ST1100 Tail Tidy

I made a tail tidy for my ST1100 out of a bit of flat bar to retire the huge plastic flap thing.

Standard install with govt plate, registration (tax) and warrant of fitness (inspection certificate) and government mandated red reflector. $20 flat bar of aluminum.
2023-08-26 18.07.10.jpg

Disassembled the components to check placement and size before chopping.
Tail Tidy (6).jpg

Cut, drill and fold using a vice and hammer..
Tail Tidy (7).jpg

All the bits cut and drilled
Tail Tidy (2).jpg

First assembly with locktight
Tail Tidy (3).jpg

Final product
Tail Tidy (8).jpg

Registration and inspection tags behind the plate.
2023-08-27 20.37.20.jpg

Final look
Tail Tidy (1).jpg

I like the look of it.......but.......doesn't it rain in New Zealand?
It'll certainly make getting the rear wheel out quick and simple.
Upt.

Edit, which make of exhausts are those, they look very smart.

I made a tail tidy for my ST1100 out of a bit of flat bar to retire the huge plastic flap thing.
Likewise wondering about the rain. I don't mind the rear fender even though your mod makes the wheel access more convenient as Upt' noted. And since I have a strobe mounted on it I can't just set it aside. (A waterproof quick disconnect should be considered).

Being a fair weather rider were the same mod considered I'd play the odds against being caught in the rain/flash flood/puddle. But I need a place to put my strobe and reflector.

Nicely done though. Registration and inspection tags behind the plate not a problem? Not that they'd ultimately be a problem once spotted but from behind they appear to be lacking. Maybe mount them on a servo to the license plate plate and activate it when Award Lights appear in the mirror? So it swings out like old train signal flags or traffic signals?

old-style-american-traffic-lights-universal-studios-orlando-florida-KDD6MM.jpg

Trick but probably not at all necessary as I have a think. :D

I like the look of it.......but.......doesn't it rain in New Zealand?
It'll certainly make getting the rear wheel out quick and simple.
Upt.

Edit, which make of exhausts are those, they look very smart.

Yes it rains, we are in month 7 of continuous rain, we had floods so bad in Auckland that a few people were swept away to their deaths and a Firefighter trying to save someone had a hillside come down on him, been bad, really bad.

Short answer is yes this is going to create a "rooster tail" of water behind me which is going to be annoying for anyone following close.. but I don't think illegal, seen plenty of bikes with higher cut "mud flaps" as standard, but noted as a potential issue. Yes i was trying to get the wheel in after fitting a new tyre and in the end unscrewed the standard hard mud flap to help with access and aligning with the spline, it was four bolts and I think worth removing to get the space and see whats going on. This was what twigged the ideal of a tail tidy. Noticed the panniers are less supported now, so another issue created as a result.

The mufflers are Staintune and no longer available, they went bankrupt but a new entity restarted but not offering ST1100 any more, I got these for 245 NZD (132 Euro) after stalking the seller through the local version of eBay as he tried in vane through multiple auctions to get a better price. I pulled the built in baffles and still managed to pass inspection. Really pleased with this purchase for the bike.

https://staintune.com.au/

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/...9D73-F2C0-44A4-801C-4AD734C93882&bof=RKKwxTcW

Likewise wondering about the rain. I don't mind the rear fender even though your mod makes the wheel access more convenient as Upt' noted. And since I have a strobe mounted on it I can't just set it aside. (A waterproof quick disconnect should be considered).

Being a fair weather rider were the same mod considered I'd play the odds against being caught in the rain/flash flood/puddle. But I need a place to put my strobe and reflector.

Nicely done though. Registration and inspection tags behind the plate not a problem? Not that they'd ultimately be a problem once spotted but from behind they appear to be lacking. Maybe mount them on a servo to the license plate plate and activate it when Award Lights appear in the mirror? So it swings out like old train signal flags or traffic signals?

old-style-american-traffic-lights-universal-studios-orlando-florida-KDD6MM.jpg

Trick but probably not at all necessary as I have a think. :D

The tags (tax and inspection) must be clearly displayed, so yes this is an issue, the reality these days is that if the police pull you over before they approach they run the registration number through the database and this tells them tax and inspection status, owner license status and arrest warrants, cautions for assault / weapons etc, they don't bother getting the torch out to look at these details unless they suspect the registration does not match the vehicle in front of them in which case they check the vin. So yes its technically not "displayed" and this is an offence in its own right "failure to display" even if the tax and inspection is up to date, its the "display" they do you on. Reality for police has moved on with database checks. The only people who would do you are parking officers who will very happily give you a ticket for "failure to display" so that is a real risk around "display" issues.. Right now i am riding the tax sticker has expired but i have purchased but waiting on it to turn up in the post, so again its a "failure to display" even though i have paid the tax, nz police generally let this slide unless they are having a really bad day at work and your an ass.

Well, it's certainly better than this:
57_2_1200x1200.jpg

The rooster tail would probably hit the guy behind you, your back and thr top of your helmet! :rofl1:

Front and Rear rooster tail on this one, and this is a USA "Federal Motor Safety Standard" approved design.. cannot tell me this is not firing water and stones all over the place.

1693882110535.png

Yes it rains, we are in month 7 of continuous rain, we had floods so bad in Auckland that a few people were swept away to their deaths and a Firefighter trying to save someone had a hillside come down on him, been bad, really bad.

Short answer is yes this is going to create a "rooster tail" of water behind me which is going to be annoying for anyone following close.. but I don't think illegal, seen plenty of bikes with higher cut "mud flaps" as standard, but noted as a potential issue. Yes i was trying to get the wheel in after fitting a new tyre and in the end unscrewed the standard hard mud flap to help with access and aligning with the spline, it was four bolts and I think worth removing to get the space and see whats going on. This was what twigged the ideal of a tail tidy. Noticed the panniers are less supported now, so another issue created as a result.

The mufflers are Staintune and no longer available, they went bankrupt but a new entity restarted but not offering ST1100 any more, I got these for 245 NZD (132 Euro) after stalking the seller through the local version of eBay as he tried in vane through multiple auctions to get a better price. I pulled the built in baffles and still managed to pass inspection. Really pleased with this purchase for the bike.

https://staintune.com.au/

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/...9D73-F2C0-44A4-801C-4AD734C93882&bof=RKKwxTcW
Oh yes, I forgot the panniers rest against the side plastic of the mudguard at the rear. It'll be interesting to see if they hang OK on the top mounts without that support. I'm thinking they will but if not an extension off your bracket could work.
My brother was down under in January and February and was on the North Island for the last couple of weeks, it wasn't too good at the end and they had to hunker down for a few days until things eased.
Good luck.
Upt.

Oh yes, I forgot the panniers rest against the side plastic of the mudguard at the rear. It'll be interesting to see if they hang OK on the top mounts without that support. I'm thinking they will but if not an extension off your bracket could work.
My brother was down under in January and February and was on the North Island for the last couple of weeks, it wasn't too good at the end and they had to hunker down for a few days until things eased.
Good luck.
Upt.

No that was a particularly bad period, actually very dangerous in the north which is much more exposed to the South Pacific on one side and Tasman on the other, weather has just been crazy and abnormal, NZ can have wild storms but they normally pass, this sustained battering we have had recently, relentless.

Back
Top Bottom