ST1100 tank bags?

I'm seeking suggestions/reviews for a tank bag for the st1100. I imagine the fastening method would need to be just right, otherwise, the bag would be flopping all over the place. The 'tank' is rather steep and access to fuel filler might also be an issue. I appreciate any recommendations. Andrew

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use the Nelson Rigg Silver Streak, SSC-130. Don't know if it's available anywhere any more. It's strap mounted. two buckles in front and one in back. I looped the front strap under the triple tree between the steering stem and the plastic that covers the opening. The back strap is looped around the fuel door hinge and comes out under the airbox cover just in front of the seat nose. When fueling I just unbuckle the back strap and the bag sits over to one side against the fairing pocket. The Silver Streak has side pouches that make a bit wide but I like the storage and it doesn't bother me at all. I've never had an issue with that since I never take the handlebars to the stops while riding and I just let the grips push on the sides of the bag when maneuvering around in my driveway. The horn and starter buttons just miss the bag side pouches so there is no accidental button press. Did I say I love the storage in this thing! I think it's about 13 liter. Here is a photo that shows the bag on the bike.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
The recommended way to tell how big a bag will fit is to fold some beach towels or large bath towels in the approximate size and shape of the bag in mind and set that on your tank/cover to see how it would fit. I bought mine from http://www.motorcyclegear.com.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
On my 1100 I use a Roadgear 15 x 9 x 8 with 2 front straps and 1 rear strap. It is about as large as you would want without causing problems.

Attachments

Bike
99 ST1100
I haven't done it yet, but I like the idea.

Glue magnets on the underside of the tank cover, then you've got a lot more options for a tank bag...

Shockingly, there's a thread on this somewhere:D

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I've had a couple different tank bags on my 1100. I'm currently using the "oh-my-gosh-that's-a-giant" Nelson-Rigg CL-450 that I've "modified" a bit. My old Eclipse bag is literally falling apart at the seams, so it will be pitched. I have been looking for a smaller bag to use for day-to-day riding so that I can keep the giant CL for trips.

As stated above, the 3point bag can easily be moved out of the way while fueling up by letting it hang on the front two mounts. And with a bag the size of the CL-450, it's good to be able to move it slightly from side to side as it WILL interfere with full-lock turns when centered.

One thing I've been meaning to do, which I saw on one of Uncle Phil's STeeds, is to make short straps that attach to the 2 front "tank" bolts (the one's that are up near the triple tree/frame neck) instead of looping the strap under the frame neck. It would also be easy to make a strap adjusting piece that would hook over the stub on the tank that the seat hooks on to.

Also, if you pull off the seat, there are wire loops on either side of the fuel tank (handles to pull it out?) that the rear strap can be looped through (if it's long enough).

i have the Bagster tank bra on 97ST1100...and have been very satisfied with it...the full tank bra is tailored for the bike, specifically...with deldrin clips & tiedown "shoestrings" to snug securely the bra on the bike...twin zippers on each side of the gas tank door flap zip open that bottom area to access the gas cap door...i got the red colored bra which matches ok for me...then i got the Bagster Alpha bag to attach to the bra when i want to use it...very convenient & hold a lot & expands if want more!...also neatly swings up out of way when time to gas up tank!...google Bagster motorcycle tank bags & go to trouble to contact USA importer...you will most likely be pleased with tailor-made bra for the ST1100 & your choice of their tank bag that works with the nifty attachment manner...quality is quite high, too...i have been using it for about six years...no problems...(a little pricey, but that feeling fades after some use...:) )

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I haven't done it yet, but I like the idea.

Glue magnets on the underside of the tank cover, then you've got a lot more options for a tank bag...

Shockingly, there's a thread on this somewhere:D
I've thought of doing that too. Glue some hard drive mags on the inside of the shell and washers for the bag or even more mags.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
i have the Bagster tank bra on 97ST1100...and have been very satisfied with it...the full tank bra is tailored for the bike, specifically...with deldrin clips & tiedown "shoestrings" to snug securely the bra on the bike...twin zippers on each side of the gas tank door flap zip open that bottom area to access the gas cap door...i got the red colored bra which matches ok for me...then i got the Bagster Alpha bag to attach to the bra when i want to use it...very convenient & hold a lot & expands if want more!...also neatly swings up out of way when time to gas up tank!...google Bagster motorcycle tank bags & go to trouble to contact USA importer...you will most likely be pleased with tailor-made bra for the ST1100 & your choice of their tank bag that works with the nifty attachment manner...quality is quite high, too...i have been using it for about six years...no problems...(a little pricey, but that feeling fades after some use...:) )
I second the Bagster set up. I've used mine for 7 years. Bagster has a number of models of bags to choose from, although I find their website leaves much to be desired. The black one goes wih any color

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
I use hard drive magnets glued under my engine cover and it works fine. Before that the PO had washers stuck to the outside of the engine cover with double face tape, which also worked well and surprisingly didn't look all that bad. I have a tourmaster tank bag, but I don't know which model.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I'm considering adding magnets to the underside of the fake plastic tank to attach a magnetic tank bag. I already have the magnetic tank bag on the vfr, expandable to 38 litres, so that's why I'm considering doing it this way, the other option is bagster,but it's very expensve.
We are heading on a short 2up tour shortly and I think the extra storage of the tank bag will probably have to take most of my stuff:)
Just wondered from any of you that have gone the route of the magnetic bag,was it worth the hassle? Thanks

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I second the Bagster set up. I've used mine for 7 years. Bagster has a number of models of bags to choose from, although I find their website leaves much to be desired. The black one goes wih any color
I as well agree totally...
Plus the bra provides excellent protection for the false/tank, zero scratches over all them years of use...

Bike
Vstrom 650
I as well agree totally...
Plus the bra provides excellent protection for the false/tank, zero scratches over all them years of use...
Can you see any secondhand bagster tank covers/tank bags on ebay Holland Martin? or anywhere in Europe

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Can you see any secondhand bagster tank covers/tank bags on ebay Holland Martin? or anywhere in Europe
Nope...
Seems that everyone is extremely happy with theirs...
Occasionally (as in rarely) you'll find one offered by a breaker, taken off a totalled bike...

Bike
Vstrom 650
Nope...
Seems that everyone is extremely happy with theirs...
Occasionally (as in rarely) you'll find one offered by a breaker, taken off a totalled bike...
Thanks anyway,don't know if the magnets glued underneath the fake cover will be a great job.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Depending on how good their epoxied onto the inside of the false tank ;-)
You don't want to have one/them falling off and messing up your carb linkages or vibrating/cutting into a coolant hose...

I personally don't like magnetic tank bags for two major reasons:
- you will need to tape the contact patches/areas on your false tank, as dust/debris will collect thus will leave bad scuffs in the paint...
- always remember to stay well clear with your valet (CC and other debit cards), your cell, camera and net-book...

I'm totally happy with my Bagster tank-bra & tank bag... no scratches, no risk for my equipment or CCs...

Bike
Vstrom 650
Yeah I'm not 'stuck' on the magnetic tank bag idea anymore:) I'm borrowing a bagster tank cover from Fearmoir tomorrow,and getting a lend of a bagster tankbag from a friend here in Donegal for the trip to Cork and Kerry next week so I'll see how I like it before I splash the cash.

Top Bottom