ST1100 Tip Sensor bypass

I'm was wondering if anyone out there can provide me with the bypass wiring configuration/schematic when bypassing the Tip Sensor on my 1994 ST1100. I have found threads discussing such a bypass although none of those found provide detailed info (what color coded wire goes to what other color coded wire
and/or if a resistor is needed to make this bypass a successful one)
Any help would be much appreciated as I have been searching on the web for what has now become hours for specifics surrounding said bypass.
I did come across some info where it sounded as though someone simply removed the Tip Sensor relay from the harness to bypass the sensor itself.....,.is there any validity in that?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Do you have a shop manual with a wiring diagram? I don't have mine handy.

A typical relay has two thinner coil wires and two heavier load wires.

To bypass a relay, merely connect the two heavier wires together.

Understand that doing this means the engine will keep running without lubrication if it falls over.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
based on this schematic it would appear you want to jumper the black/yellow wire to the black wire in the relay connector, assuming in the non-tip-over scenario that relay is energized. According to the service manual normal operation is to have the relay energized, and then when the BAS is tilted 50° the relay de-energizes.

doc1.JPG

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
@dwalby is correct.

The sensor in the ST1100 includes a silicone controlled rectifier (like an electronic switch) - which would turn itself off in a fraction of a second, except a running engine keeps it turned on. As soon as the Tilt switch turns the engine off, it stays off.

Below is the diagram for the ST1300. The 1100 is broadly similar- but it will not be identical.

1698144560159.png

Wrong Answer:

If you were to connect together the purple / black and the black/ white lead - that would permanently disconnect the bank angle sensor and make it appear as though the bank angle sensor was turned on.
BUT it will also permanently by pass the Run-Stop / Kill switch.

----------------------------

Better Answer - put still problematic

Connecting the red/orange lead from the bank angle relay to earth will effectively remove the bank relay from the circuit, but leave the run/stop switch in place to kill everything.

However.

I really would not recommend doing this. The bank angle sensor is there to cut the engine in case of a dropped bike. Without it with the bike on its side, the engine is still running, the bike is still in gear and the back wheel will be driving the bike round and round, pivoting on the tip-over bar. No one will be able to get to it, and it may be spilling fuel over the road with a hot exhaust running through it.

When the investigation team look at the bike to find out why it didn't cut the engine .....

Consider:

I believe that motocross bikes have a device which pulls a pin if the rider falls off. The bike won't start if the pin isn't inserted, and the engine is cut if it is pulled out. It is attached to the rider by a chord or lanyard. Such a device could be connected in place of the bank angle sensor ie to the orang/red lead and the green earth lead in the diagram above.

Or find a breaker's yard that have one.

eg 91 HONDA ST1100 TIP OVER BANK ANGLE CRASH SENSOR SWITCH 35160-MAF-023 | eBay

Last edited:

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Hi ShayneM, can I ask why you want to disable this circuit?

The answers above are good, temporary, get home solutions if you have a bad relay.

However, as jfheath illustrates above, it’s there for a very good reason.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Seems my earlier question was ignored, so am I dreaming, or was there not a permanent Honda warranty on those tip over sensors, also known as the bank angle sensor, in the early ST11 years?? I think the problem was rectified by the 1995 model.

Bike
VStrom 650
Seems my earlier question was ignored, so am I dreaming, or was there not a permanent Honda warranty on those tip over sensors, also known as the bank angle sensor, in the early ST11 years?? I think the problem was rectified by the 1995 model.
Sorry Forest what did you say :rofl1: .
God made me do it!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Yes, there was a recall for the BAS. The damping fluid inside failed and a good bump while underway would trip the sensor and kill the engine: NOT GOOD!) I’ve got the notice in my archives somewheres but your dealer will have it. And yes, if yours is original, Honda will replace it. If replaced, they should have stamped an “X” on the frame crossmember under the seat.

John

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes, there was a recall for the BAS.
Since there are at least a few dealers out there who refuse to work on bikes that are more than 5 years old I wonder what they would say were one to bring in a 29 year old bike and ask for the recall upgrade.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Yes, there was a recall for the BAS. The damping fluid inside failed and a good bump while underway would trip the sensor and kill the engine: NOT GOOD!) I’ve got the notice in my archives somewheres but your dealer will have it. And yes, if yours is original, Honda will replace it. If replaced, they should have stamped an “X” on the frame crossmember under the seat.

John
Thank you John. I knew someone from the "long ago club" would eventually come along to verify my claim.

Top Bottom