ST1100 tire and kickstand questions

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Two questions:

1. Why would a relatively new BT32 front tire @ 40 psi wear like this in less than 1000 miles?

2. Is this bend normal, or is it bending too much? The bike leans way over with new tires on it.

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My guess is too many PSIs in it.
Side stands tend to wear at the 'joint' and the wear causes the bike to really lean over.
The hole in the frame gets worn out.
But the sidestand does look like it's taken a 'hit' and been bent out as the foot is not laying level.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Two questions:

1. Why would a relatively new BT32 front tire @ 40 psi wear like this in less than 1000 miles?

2. Is this bend normal, or is it bending too much? The bike leans way over with new tires on it.

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg
I just looked at mine and i agree. The stand looks like it has more bend than mine and the foot, while not completely flat on the ground, is a heck of a lot closer than the pic. Also, i spend a lot of time on the left stripe of the road because the sidestand holds the bike too upright due to road crown.
The 31’s are supposed to be inflated to 36 psi. Dont know about the 32’s. I was told cupping was also due to the weight of the bike as well as inflation.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I don't have that kind of wear at all. 3000kms My front PSI is 42. The front tire on mine is super smooth, no cupping or excessive wear. Is it possible your steering head bearings are worn out?
I believe your side stand is bent

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Check your tire pressure gauge. I believe cupping, as on your tire, is due mostly to under inflation. That was my experience anyway, running Metzelers at the standard 36 psi, which went away after going to 38 psi. The centre of the tire is made from a harder compound than the sides, hence the ridge.

The side stand has definitely been bent.

Bike
VStrom 650
As above.
The side stand is best replaced with a good used replacement. You don't want it lying on its side.
My tyres are always 36 F, 42 R. Haven't run 32's but that's probably over inflation, either that or you are constantly riding upright, its worn in the centre more than the sides. When I ran 30's the wear was even and consistent.
Upt'North.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
was the sidestand down while the bike was tied down on the trailer?? It looks like maybe it took a few too many hits during transport on the trailer, that bend isn't normal. As others have stated, the 'foot' part should lie flat on the surface.

Bike
VStrom 650
Check your tire pressure gauge. I believe cupping, as on your tire, is due mostly to under inflation. That was my experience anyway, running Metzelers at the standard 36 psi, which went away after going to 38 psi. The centre of the tire is made from a harder compound than the sides, hence the ridge.

The side stand has definitely been bent.
Forest, I saw a more worn centre.
But I was on the Jura.
I'll take another look........no I wasn't under the influence, well I was but, I still see the same; the centre of the tyre definitely seems squared off and I do get what you say about the ridged effect, I didn't late last night.
But if the tyre has been run at a genuine 40 psi then it's been 10 % over inflated. Although I think Bridgestone suggest slightly higher psi for some of their tyres, although I've never obeyed their command.
It actually reminds me of how the 023 used to wear on long trips, mine used to resemble racing wets after 4 or 5 thousand loaded miles. It was like riding on a knife edge.
Have a Jura or two Bush and let me know what you see.
Upt'North.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Forest, I saw a more worn centre.
But I was on the Jura.
I'll take another look........no I wasn't under the influence, well I was but, I still see the same; the centre of the tyre definitely seems squared off and I do get what you say about the ridged effect, I didn't late last night.
But if the tyre has been run at a genuine 40 psi then it's been 10 % over inflated. Although I think Bridgestone suggest slightly higher psi for some of their tyres, although I've never obeyed their command.
It actually reminds me of how the 023 used to wear on long trips, mine used to resemble racing wets after 4 or 5 thousand loaded miles. It was like riding on a knife edge.
Have a Jura or two Bush and let me know what you see.
Upt'North.

Well the picture is poorly lit to begin with, so whatever you or I see with old eyes could likely be different anyway. That "run at a genuine 40 psi" is why I was questioning Larry about his gauge's accuracy. That is some pretty severe cupping from my viewpoint.

Bike
VStrom 650
Well the picture is poorly lit to begin with, so whatever you or I see with old eyes could likely be different anyway. That "run at a genuine 40 psi" is why I was questioning Larry about his gauge's accuracy. That is some pretty severe cupping from my viewpoint.
I think the gauge accuracy is something we all probably suffer with. I know my pencil gauge is years old but where do you check it for accuracy?
I won't be looking at the tyre again though, it's almost Jura time. It won't end well.
Upt'North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I know my pencil gauge is years old but where do you check it for accuracy?
There are very accurate pressure gauges that we can buy, but they are usually expensive. Some reviewers describe their testing procedure for particular brands of gauges and test a number of samples for consistency. Remember the old Chinese proverb, 'Man with two clocks never knows what time it is'.

OP
OP
Larry Fine
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Thank you all for your input! :thumb: I thought 42 was the concensus.

I go by my TPMS, which generally reads 39psi cold; I rounded up.

And, I'm mainly addressing the flatness in the center of the tread.

Top Bottom