ST1100 weird headlight goop

Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
Hi all, as I am nearing the end of the refurbishment of my ST, I found this old crumbling foam glued all the way around the headlight. Does anybody know what might have been the reason for the PO to do this?
I did not see any foam wrap on part diagrams for the headlight. #1. I'm thinking stopping rain water from seeping thru,but why it's a motorcycle after all, not a boat. #2. Possibly reducing rattling of the Tupperware against the headlight lens? What do you guys think? Also I am reaching limits of my patience trying to fix all the broken off, cracked and split plastic tabs on the plastics. I think about half of the screw posts and tabs is cracked or missing chunks. Someone who owned her before me had no limit when it came to tightening bolts and screws. Negligence like that pisses me off. Rant over. Right now waiting on new Fiamm horns and analog voltmeter, and that will bring me back here with electrical questions soon.

Attachments

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I"m wrong. I just went and looked at the 97 and it's there. Can't believe I didn't notice it..

Bike
VStrom 650
The headlights are all like that, probably an anti shock/noise thing. The foam is usually visible around the headlight opening when the headlight is fitted back into its surround.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jerbear
Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
Thanks for the replies guys! Now off to find something that will replace this foaming mess :biggrin:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
The foam is there to insulate the headlight housing. The lights heat up the housing and when you shut off the bike the housing would cool rapidly and condense moisture without the insulation in place. This could cause fogging of the headlight as well as surface condensation on the outside of the housing.

Dan

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the replies guys! Now off to find something that will replace this foaming mess
Did you find anything that works please ? I've been looking at sticky back neoprene sealing strips for the same purpose. I reckon maybe 6mm thickness would do - but its guesswork. And goodness knows whether the heat from the headlamp would affect the glue.

OP
OP
Jerbear
Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
Did you find anything that works please ? I've been looking at sticky back neoprene sealing strips for the same purpose. I reckon maybe 6mm thickness would do - but its guesswork. And goodness knows whether the heat from the headlamp would affect the glue.
From what I can remember, I bought some adhesive backed, high-temp, closed cell silicone foam. Probably an overkill, but I like to follow the: "thing worth engineering is worth over engineering" approach. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom